Hello,newbie and a locker question

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
Fastnlouche

Hello,newbie and a locker question

November 15th, 2022, 9:55 pm

Hi,first demountable just purchased.
Off up to Inverness this week to drive it home to Cornwall. It's a European Adventure on a Nissan np300 pickup(which isn't the one that's been known to bend on occasion.....allegedly).
Got a few bits to do to it to bring it up to date but wanted to pick your brains about adding additional storage.
The camper body obviously sticks out over the sides of the pick up bed and i'm thinking storage lockers hung from the underside of the camper overhang and anchored to the pickup somehow is a no brainer BUT people are ingenious and I've not seen it done by any one so am I not seeing something blindingly obvious which makes it a bad idea?
ANY thoughts,opinions or ideas more than welcome.
Cheers for whatever you've got.

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Hello,newbie and a locker question

November 15th, 2022, 10:05 pm

Hi,
Not sure what you planned to use additional storage for, but you will need to keep any significant weight as far forward as possible,
if it was something light like clothing, towels, camp chairs etc then a roof box on roof of camper
and accessed by ladder sometimes work.

There aren't so many gaps and spaces to be exploited typically with demountable's on pickups that haven't been tried already, storage boxes behind front seats in pickup with tinned heavy supplies/wine & beer works for many owners

Fastnlouche

November 26th, 2022, 10:54 am

Thanks for getting back and your thoughts are much appreciated.
Locker idea was for a winch,receiver,strops,leveling blocks,tools.....
I was just curious. I have my camper at home now and can see the overhang is minimal but I can fabricate a simple tool store that actually hangs off the pick up tray under the overhang.
Winch may be permanently mounted on the front although I prefer a self recovery winch on the back, always made more sense to me.
I shall look into mounting some storage on the back of the camper itself.
After reading all you've posted I waited until I found a single cab pick up with a matching camper because of weight distribution.
Height is an issue so no box on top plus will have solar panels and surfboards on the roof.

zildjian
Site Admin

November 26th, 2022, 4:37 pm

Winch is a substantial lump of machinery of course, and best left as far forward as possible,
though as you've mentioned, that combination of pickup/camper is very best on weight so you probably have a bit of carrying capacity on back to allow a locker and lighter bulkier items.

If you do go ahead I'd like to see how that looks and measures up though

Fastnlouche

December 1st, 2022, 5:59 pm

You are a mine of information,seems like you are a one man repository of all demountable camper knowledge. I shall definitely share anything I do on here. Flattery over........another question if I may? Airbags,2009 Nissan Np300 d22,could someone maybe point the in the direction of a supplier or just advice please? The pick up is used for work as well as thr camper so carries weight a lot of the time. I'm handy but financially limited.
Cheers

zildjian
Site Admin

December 1st, 2022, 7:40 pm

Thanks, I'm latest in a short list of enthusiasts for these products and happy to help :)

Try Milner; https://www.milneroffroad.com/
for an airbag kit, there are others but I bought a Hilux set a couple of years back and pleased with what arrived.

or Ebay for example; https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... _PrefLoc=1

also you'll need a small bottle of this instead of PTFE tape ;https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185218553844 ... R-b_9--ZYQ

Can fit them yourself, but bear in mind you will need to remove the bump-stop rubbers on top of axle and they might be stubborn
and easier with an airtool!

other than that, the bags sit between chassis & leaf spring at widest point between top and bottom brackets they come with,
air lines are usually a push-fit
(fit these first as access to tighten & seal them into top of each bag difficult in-situ)

then can control air in and out via valves (supplied) and a tyre inflator, or fit a compressor with a gauge

difficulty level 6/10