Hello...new member from Sweden

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
kalahariman

Hello...new member from Sweden

October 10th, 2022, 2:53 pm

Hello from Sweden
I'm a Canadian that recently moved to Sweden and looking to buy either a french Gazell camper or a U.S. made Four Wheel pop up camper.
But first I must buy a super/xtra cab 4x4 truck to carry the camper, maybe I can find both here?
These 2 brand of campers are not at all common in Sweden and can see that if they are available it is usually Germany or France. I would like a light, low profile, compact and almost stealthy size & look of camper, I don't want a house on the back of my truck.
...and compared to Canada/US these trucks and campers are much more expensive in Europe so I must do my homework and search for the right fit. Look forward to this site and connecting with anyone on here.
Thanks and cheers!
Jeff

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Hello...new member from Sweden

October 10th, 2022, 5:57 pm

Hello and welcome,
yes Germany (maybe France) will be best chance for either of those items,
can't remember offhand ever seeing a GaZell on sale in any Scan country yet, probably too new as majority of Swedish sales are much earlier units, and those too big for what you'd like,
early Polar & Senator campers,
but good luck with search and keep watching the sales thread in meantime!

kalahariman

October 11th, 2022, 12:31 pm

Hi Zildjian

thank you for your reply and yes I did see that Hilux/Gazell combo.
I would love that set up but sadly don't have 95,000 euros to spend.
Being new I have a question, can I respond to any ad from within this demountablecampergroup website or is it only through the link leboncoin website?
I tried to join their site to reply to a recent listing here: France; Isuzu & GaZell camper 49,500€ and here: https://www.leboncoin.fr/caravaning/2214027486.htm
on page 1184.
but being from Sweden it is not possible to join the leboncoin.fr to reply to this ad.
Can you help me with solving my newbie problem?
Thank in advance
cheers
Jeff

TH L200

November 9th, 2022, 2:46 pm

Hi kalahariman

I know what you mean by not wanting a house on the back of [the] truck as that’s where we started!

Our double cab pickup was set up for on and off road travel in Europe and North Africa, works well on everything from paved roads to desert piste but after using ground and later roof top tents we wanted a little more comfort.

Motorhomes and most campervans were - for us - too big, expensive and limited to paved roads or formal campsites; a Bimobil based on a 4x4 Mercedes looked great but was far, far beyond our budget and the couple of Transit and Mercedes 4x4 van DIY conversions I looked were poorly done and overpriced.

Pop-up/folding/wedge demountables were attractive with the well made and ingeniously designed Gazell a favourite. The cost of even an early model was high, new ones prohibitively so but for us there was a bigger problem.

While the starting point may have been a simple, lightweight unit, Gazells we looked at had extras such as externally mounted fuel cans, sand tracks, diesel heaters, grey water tanks, additional insulation etc. Adding that much kit and functionality into the available space definitely comes at a cost not only of money but reduced storage space and additional weight.

I appreciate some of this could be unnecessary for warm/hot weather touring when you can relax and eat outside but factor in the need to spend more time inside rather than out and I’m unconvinced of suitability for colder, wetter weather unless travelling solo.

We didn’t want/need a shower and toilet compartment, hot water system or space to sleep more than two so despite initially dismissing the idea, we began looking at the smaller “traditional” demountables and eventually settled on a Karosser EC6 Eco.

Yes, it’s still a house on the back, fuel consumption is considerably higher than before and no, we wouldn’t take it on an extended off-piste trip but that said, it’s perfect for two people staying one or two nights before moving on: good bed, comfortable place to sit and eat, room for a porta-potti and decent storage.

We enjoy cold-weather camping in Northern Sweden, Finland and Norway so given good fixings to the pickup plus decent tyres then the Karosser’s superb insulation and effective heater means our next Swedish visit will be that much easier!

I’m unsure whether my experience will be of much help but take it for what it’s worth….not a lot probably 😀.

kalahariman

November 22nd, 2022, 9:35 pm

Hello TH L200

thanks for your reply.
Glad to hear you found what you like and what works for you.
Hope you get to travel as much as you want and all the best in the future.
cheers!
;)