Hello from a newish owner

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
TH L200

Hello from a newish owner

September 4th, 2022, 5:41 pm

Hello from a slightly damp South Midlands. I’ve dipped in and out of the forum for a couple of years looking at various models and trying to get some insight into what might suit us but only registered today as I hope I might be able to pick the collective brain!

Our 2012 Mitsubishi L200 was fitted with Old Man Emu front and rear springs plus Koni Raid dampers about 6 years and 50,000 plus miles ago.

The rear springs were specified for a constant 400-500kg load as the pickup was used for quite heavily laden on and off-road touring in Europe and North Africa.

Unladen the ride was, as I has been warned, very stiff but loaded to almost maximum front axle and 200kg under maximum rear axle weight everything worked well, the truck sat level and ride was firm but supple.

However, we recently took a step into the unknown and bought a second-hand Karosser EC6 Eco as we wanted a little more comfort and somewhere to sleep in the dry and warm.

The problem I’ve come across is that while the demountable probably weighs a little less than our previous setup (canopy, steel drawers, roof tent, tools and spares etc., etc.) and the rear of the truck is by no means compressed down on to the bump stops, there is still a healthy gap between top of rear tyres and wheel arches.

It doesn’t wallow on corners or “submarine” on braking but there is a definite “nose-up” look to the vehicle.

We’ve no plans to take the truck and demountable on some of the routes travelled in the past but a safe, level and predictable ride is essential and I would be grateful for any thoughts and experience to help us work out the next step.

Would it be reasonable to assume that 50,000 miles of use - much of it off-road - has simply worn out the Old Man Emu rear springs?

I’m tempted by Milner Off-Road's replacement springs: one of their offerings is for a constant 500kg load that is warranted to 1000kgs with the addition of air bags but they also offer a 1000kg “working vehicle” set of replacement springs and dampers.

Does anyone have experience of aftermarket springs they would care to share? I’m not after a rock-hard setup for the sake of it, just want to be sure the demountable and truck are properly sprung when touring and prepared for a stiff ride when unloaded.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Hello from a newish owner

September 4th, 2022, 7:25 pm

Good afternoon Tony & welcome
good choice of SKarosser, I have one myself!
Milner will sell you a set of bags for rear axle, I bought a kit off them for latest Hilux
and had no problems with them, I've not had any uprated shocks on any of my trucks as I never needed them,

In terms of carrying a camper a pair of bags will both correct your headlight beam angle and make ride with camper onboard a much nicer experience and in fact adding firmer shocks has in past increased height to a point a camper might not lift high enough to load safely, a member here had a pair of 'normal' shocks fitted and then knocked camper sideways not realising this so be careful.

air springs can be inflated (typically) around 20-30PSI to carry camper more briefly if you feel you have to,
just remember you are now applying significant load on chassis directly above axle
whereas you leaf springs transmit that force through two different points spread further apart

TH L200

September 4th, 2022, 8:12 pm

zildjian wrote:
September 4th, 2022, 7:25 pm
air springs can be inflated (typically) around 20-30PSI to carry camper more briefly if you feel you have to,
just remember you are now applying significant load on chassis directly above axle
whereas you leaf springs transmit that force through two different points spread further apart
Thanks zildjian

Are you carrying the Karosser with no suspension changes to your Hilux other than fitting air bags?

I may be unnecessarily hesitant but the point you make is the one that concerns me about them.

I see the danger of fitting springs that lift the vehicle beyond a sensible point for loading/unloading a demountable but isn't it better to be spreading the weight across the leafs rather than via a bag?

I'll maybe have a chat with Milner and get their thoughts.

Thanks again

Tony

zildjian
Site Admin

September 7th, 2022, 8:30 pm

Hi again,
Over 12 years or so I've used same camper on a Navara then three different Hilux using just airbags, you can of course fit assist leaves which will only contact when you have a lot of weight on but for use here on our roads I don't really see the point.

Yes spreading load as designed through spring hangers>chassis is best but so far nobody has managed to damage a chassis rail by use of air springs, they act to assist leaf springs and don't need inflation to max
Trial and error usually indicates 25PSI or around that is adequate to both level truck & provide comfortable ride,
just remember when unloaded to check there is always a couple of PSI in bags to prevent damage by using them empty

TH L200

September 25th, 2022, 5:23 pm

Thanks for the further information, which was very helpful and persuaded me to go for the Milner air bag kit: only a static test so far but 30 psi or so seems to level things up.

A proper road test will have to wait for a few days as a broken front coil spring needs replacing: two air bags and two coil springs is the first suspension work for several years but trust both to come at the same time :( .

Next on the to-do list are a couple of problems with the Karosser legs that I'm hoping someone might be able to advise on. First one is that the black "bungs" on top of the legs have all been damaged and a previous owner has gaffer-taped them in place. It keeps the rain out but a new set would be useful after I grease the legs....anyone know where I can buy these?

The second problem initially seemed very serious as when I was winding the legs down one would not move as the nut (18/19mm ??) was simply spinning without engaging the gears. It's not quite as bad as I first thought as the nut is actually a sleeve or cap that fits over a circular shaft and in my case, sleeve/cap has separated from the shaft.

A pair of vice grips clamped on to the shaft works the leg just fine and I suppose I could simply glue the sleeve/cap back on to the shaft with something like Permabond 910.

Has anyone come across anything similar and if so...how did you resolve it?

Tony

zildjian
Site Admin

September 25th, 2022, 5:54 pm

Bungs (we got em')

50p each, postage another £1 I'd guess so set= £3 posted out to you .....

As far as the spindle spinning is concerned its either;
someone has used a drill to wind them up and down and it's shredded the nylon bush on rear side of gearbox
or
pin that passes through short driveshaft has worn/fallen out so replace with split pins when you grease them up,

best operate them manually, I know people/me have used drill but they are too torquey that's all

TH L200

September 25th, 2022, 6:21 pm

Excellent news on the bungs and yes please, I would like a set of four.

I'm sure you're right about a power tool being used to put the legs up and down but will need to check on the nylon bush/driveshaft pin as I would have thought that either of those would mean the leg could not be operated. As it is, leg operates fine but the cap/sleeve/nut has separated from the shaft, which can still be turned with vice grips or similar.

I'll look properly when I take the gaffer'ed bungs off to grease.

Thanks

Tony

zildjian
Site Admin

September 26th, 2022, 8:38 pm

posted

TH L200

September 26th, 2022, 9:24 pm

Thanks!

zildjian