Newbie with a Suntrekker project

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
landymansam

Newbie with a Suntrekker project

August 28th, 2019, 10:51 am

Hi all,

I've just joined as I'm hopefully going to be purchasing a Suntrekker 2 to go on the back of my Land Rover 130 double cab.

The Suntrekker is a real project - it's been completely stripped out and all of its windows removed, so it's really a blank canvas.

I've worked out that in order for it to clear the top of the LR cab, it will need around a 10" platform underneath it, which I would use as storage with a long drawer system. And then along the sides where there would be a gap between the camper and top of the tub, build some lockers for extra storage.

My only concern is height... with the platform, the overall height will be around 2.2m above the tub floor, and around 3m tall in total.
I know that Suntrekkers are supposed to be relatively light in comparison to other demountables - but does anyone know a rough figure? At the very least I would need an uprated anti roll bar on the rear! :lol:

I've started a CAD model of how it's going to look, which I will post later on.

Anyway, thanks for having me and see you all on the forum!

Cheers

Sam

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Newbie with a Suntrekker project

August 28th, 2019, 12:47 pm

Hello Sam,
No it’s been achieved before without incident so you should be fine 😀 will be interesting to see how a blank canvas Suntrekker progresses,
They have become popular again after a couple of decades when wooden campers constructed at same time have mostly rotted out