2022 Somerset Runaway

Reports, advice, maps, it all goes here for the intrepid.
wonkywheel

2022 Somerset Runaway

June 11th, 2022, 8:02 pm

i missed the last one after all so I am getting ready for this one.

The "Moorhouse Farm and Campsite" in Somerset. About midway between Burnham on sea and Minehead.

Picture after the event
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: 2022 Somerset Runaway

June 11th, 2022, 9:23 pm

Hello Mark,
Should be a nice meet up and yes please to the pictures, can host them through the attachments tab as you post,
or mail them to me

wonkywheel

July 15th, 2022, 1:45 pm

Well,

I finally got around to posting the photographs of the Somerset Runawy weekend.

It was a great weekend, the only downside was that the weather didn't entirely play ball. With a 2 pm entry time aimed at I didn't leave until 10 am leaving me 4 hours. Being a very hot day I would have liked to have left earlier in the cool of the morning but as usual, life got in the way so that didn't happen.

The steady journey down was problem free although rather uncomfortable due to the Air-con deciding to give up. I could remember receiving an email from Moorhouse advising the best way to get into the site as the sat-nav direction were faulty, but not the actual directions. So being the lone ranger with no one to reread the email I followed the email explicitly down a single-track road from which I could see the campsite across one field. :lol: An 8-point turn in a farm gateway and a couple of very obliging car drivers reversing back to the nearest passing point put on the right track. :roll:
On parking up with the rest of the happy campers the first order of the day was to find the shower block. Cool off, freshen up and a change of clothes. An interesting fact I missed on entering the shower block was that the hot water was metered with a 50 pence for five minutes. Not a problem except the meter was outside the shower cubicle. So my leisurely shower had a 30 second streak midway to replenish the meter. Just as well there were not many people about to die laughing at me.

It was nice to go about and meet and be able to put a face to the many names I will not remember :roll:
Not long after my arrival, a sea mist came rolling in and truly damped down proceedings although not our spirits.
The Peaky team supplied fresh made pizzas while many others contributed various other foods to the warm-up party which ended around a fire pit toasting marshmallows. Most enjoyable.
Saturday was taken up with more mingling and some exploring, where we managed to find a fine pub garden and were able to watch orienteering teams pass by on there way to the camp site (Duke of Edinborough Award)

Thanks Mike for buying the beers. My turn next time. 8-)

Image[/img]

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

July 15th, 2022, 3:50 pm

Ironically the guy with the VW caddy with the Tischer on is Mr Caddy,

I was impressed with the lightweight 270 deg wrap around awning he had fitted to it. Nice

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

July 15th, 2022, 9:11 pm

Seem all the rage these days, they're nice looking though.

ta for pictures of your weekend

wonkywheel

July 24th, 2022, 9:15 pm

I hope this is ok?

I borrowed a few pictures off the sister site. They are not my pictures but better than mine.

If there is a problem then please delete them.

Arrival afternoon food. Team Peaky supplied virtually made-to-order pizzas while many others donated cakes and other goodies.

Into the evening the firepit was lit with chat and toasted marshmallows on offer.

The sea mist that rolled in hung about most of the day, hiding most of the hilltops.

Camper aedificavit domum