Defender thread

New to it all ? ask here for advice and check out these quick buyers guides
drewbar

Defender thread

February 17th, 2021, 10:25 pm

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of selling my campervan for a defender and demountable combo. I'm a big land rover fan so other pickups aren't really of interest to me but I would love to hear from land rover owners and their experiences:

What's your choice of truck and engine?
What's your choice of camper?
How does it work for total weight and rear axle weight?
How does it handle on the road?
How far are you tripping with your rig?
What would do differently and things to watch out for?
Pictures!!!

Look forward to hearing from you!

IceRover

Re: Defender thread

September 15th, 2021, 8:11 am

I see that you got no answers but I can tell you my plans.
I have a 2006 td5 130 double cab, newly renovated (had is as my daily driver for 10 years in salty west Norway). I was going to buy a Tisher in 2012, but had to buy a house as my rental situation changed suddenly. I have now ordered an Easy Camper 8R (sold in the UK under the Leisure Camper name) and look forward to the possibility of 4 season camping.
I have installed air suspension instead of the inner coils in the back and may have to upgrade the shocks and stabilizer bar in the rear as well or get one of those disconnectable stabiliser bars. My travel will mainly be in Europe with most trips in Scandinavia and Iceland (I'm Icelandic and live in Norway).

sandylandy

April 15th, 2023, 10:50 am

Just a note about the rear suspension mod mentioned. I have known 2 separate LandRover owners have failures in a rear airbag. It does not disable the vehicle, however it is a bother.
I have rear inner coils, LR genuine parts, and never have to worry about them - I have other nuisances such as tyre pressure decisions.

loriusgarrulus

September 8th, 2023, 11:23 am

This was my old rig. A 1998 300tdi Wolf 90. I sold it recently after deciding the Isuzu ticked more boxes and only wanting to keep one vehicle. The uprated suspension on the Wolf would have been excellent for a heavier demountable though. ;)
Attachments
20230813_121530.jpg
Growing old disgracefully