Security

New to it all ? ask here for advice and check out these quick buyers guides
alanr

Security

August 4th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Hi,
I thought this question would have been raised before but I can't see any previous posts on the subject.
I was wondering if anyone has come up with a way to stop the theft of a demountable if you are leaving it on a campsite. I suppose it's possible to fit an alarm with movement sensors but it wouldn't be very popular if it went off by accident. The only idea I had was whether it's possible to lock the legs in position to stop it being lowered onto a pickup?
Alan

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Security

August 4th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Hello Alan
Seen a few devices between front pair of legs blocking anything reversing beneath camper but looked a bit complex and unwieldy to carry/store.

Personally only ever heard of one being nicked but it was on a vehicle at time and was literally decades back, such a small
market here still I can't really imagine selling one on would be easy.

That said insurers seem to insist on tracker being fitted inline with most other valuable touring vehicles now

alanr

August 16th, 2020, 4:46 pm

Thanks for the response, I'm sure it's unlikely & as my demountable is quite old it's even less likely but I thought if there was some relatively inexpensive device it would be worth it for that extra peace of mind.

zildjian
Site Admin

August 16th, 2020, 5:37 pm

I think best defence is so few of them here frankly,
plus you have to go equipped and know how to move it without ruining its potential resale in the process.

All of them I've heard with a strap over, through or otherwise not attached properly
have leaked like an Apollo on a bad day ever after!

That and standing out like a sore thumb on the road of course :)

alanr

August 17th, 2020, 4:46 pm

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm in France & there do seem to be more here but having said that I still rarely see any on the roads. There's very little problem with crime here in the Auvergne but I'm always a bit dubious when I head further south.