Hilux rear suspension query

New to it all ? ask here for advice and check out these quick buyers guides
Highlander

Hilux rear suspension query

January 1st, 2020, 9:34 pm

Hi,
I have a 2011 hilux extracab with a 2.5 litre engine.It needs a rear leaf spring replaced and now would be the time to make it ready for the demountable which is imminent.
Bearing in mind that it is mainly used with no load,should I replace the rear springs with standard load rating or fit heavier rated rear leafs?......I'm replacing the shackles,bushes,etc with greasable at this time.
I also plan to have airbags fitted to assist the rear suspension,hence my leaf spring query.
Springs can be sourced from “Roughtrax” and airbags from “Markle”.........unless anyone has better quality and more suitable products in mind.
Please point me in the right direction as I want to fit the correct parts for the task and only fit them once.
thanks in advance

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Hilux rear suspension query

January 2nd, 2020, 8:33 am

Good morning Jim, you're on right track certainly,
heavier duty springs with extra leaves that contact when more weight is carried are sometimes used commercially but as you are not carrying much daily you don't need them no.

You are fitting air bags on rear axle, they are more than capable of carrying a camper, much improving ride & correcting headlight angle in use with camper.

Hilux extracab an excellent choice of truck BTW well done finding one, they're pretty scarce

Highlander

January 2nd, 2020, 8:05 pm

Thanks for confirming what I thought.I'll keep the rear leaf springs as standard later MK6 for a decent ride quality in day to day use and the airbags will come into their own when loaded.
It took me a while to find the extracab but it was worth the wait....only had 44K under its wheels.

zildjian
Site Admin

January 2nd, 2020, 8:50 pm

Also the extra leaves have a habit of making a normal height truck at rest another inch higher which has caught owners out in the past reversing under camper

with hilarious results.

No, better as you say normal springs then bags when in use, they don't in themselves increase your GVW but make ride a heck of a lot nicer,
you only need basic kit; bags-lines-filler valves-gauge,
essentially truck without camper onboard bags need a couple of PSI to prevent damaging them,
with camper you'd probably aim for between 35-60 PSI (less is best here)
but you find by trial and error an ideal pressure,

zildjian
Site Admin

January 2nd, 2020, 8:54 pm

Found it;
Which pressure

Highlander

January 3rd, 2020, 12:22 pm

Thank you....all components will be ordered today,and hopefully fitted before the end of the month.