Oh NO SunTrekker osmosis

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
kernowjon

Oh NO SunTrekker osmosis

March 22nd, 2022, 9:58 pm

At the moment the SunTrekker is off the pick-up, usually it is in place on the pick-up almost permanently. But we need the pick-up as a truck for a couple of weeks.
A good opportunity to clean and paint those parts of the demountable we rarely see! So I went under the unit, looked up and at the forward end of the underside I found a rash of blisters. (Sorry no photos I did not have the camera).
Back home to check out my diagnosis on Google and YouTube. Yes definitely Osmosis. So now I will be spending a few weeks fixing the problem. Step one I have been informed is to cut off the blisters, use a chisel or scraper. Step two is sand smooth the edges of the scars caused by blister removal. Step three leave to allow the substrata of the GRP layup dry out for a week or so. Step four will be to apply Gel coat filler.
When I start on Thursday I shall be taking photos.
Jon

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Oh NO SunTrekker osmosis

March 22nd, 2022, 10:01 pm

That's not an known issue, or at least one nobody else appears to have detected on their yet, pictures yes please
that sounds just the sort of thing will be good to know how to detect and repair

kernowjon

Re: Oh NO SunTrekker osmosis

March 26th, 2022, 5:14 pm

OK I went under and took some photos of the blistering, unfortunately white on white did not work well.

Best described as a rash of small blisters.
Blisters 1.jpg
unsanded blisters
and after sanding still not very clear - I need a cloudier day - back to the field tomorrow and maybe some better photos

If you want to know more bout OSMOSIS in GRP what it is and how to treat it here are some links
http://www.haylingyacht.co.uk/osmosisexplained.html

And this article in PBO which also describes how to fix the problem
https://www.pbo.co.uk/expert-advice/diy ... pair-26475
In the article it describes blisters as large as dinnerplates - the blisters I spotted were thumbnail or smaller in size, but I think best treated now than leave till later. Of course a boat is in water all / or a lot of the time, whereas the camper is out of water - I think when she was sitting on some wood about 13mm there was more water and abrassion than now.
Attachments
sanded blisters.jpg
sanded blisters