Spare wheel relocation?

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
wonkywheel

Spare wheel relocation?

October 27th, 2021, 6:43 pm

As a weight-saving operation, the tailgate is removed prior to fitting the camper. While I was laying underneath spraying Lanoguard underseal I removed the spare wheel and noted just how heavy it was. On another thread, I had discussed the pros and cons of not carrying a spare at all just a couple of cans of aerosol puncture repair.
I was reading another thread and realised that even if I carry a spare, because of my design, I would not be able to get to the spare without de-mounting the camper.
I did wonder if anyone had mounted their spare wheel on the front of the camper?
I thought about on the roof too but again it would have to be on the nose as the rest of the roof is taken up with opening vents and solar panel. It would also increase the overall height of the camper significantly.
The idea of moving the spare forward does have some merits in that not only would it reduce the rear axle loading but move it more to the front/centre. It would also be more accessible.
Downsides are;
weight transfer upward will induce more roll
extra strain on the camper framework could be a problem
more accessible but getting it up and down will be challenging.

Thoughts, experience anybody as I am undecided.

My other option is to cut out the section below my rear door altogether and reposition the reversing camera.
The other benefit in doing that is that it gives me limited access to the tow bar with the possibility of towing a small trailer to carry the event shelter and other social amenities. (Plenty in hand with the train weight)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

saDgit

Re: Spare wheel relocation?

October 28th, 2021, 4:30 pm

Hi Wonkywheel, I hope this might be of interest. These are a couple of posts that I wrote on a blog that I ran back in 2010. If I've still got the pics that illustrated the posts, I'll put them on at the end.
where to put the spare wheel?
Published March 21, 2010 pickup stuff , practical stuff Leave a Comment Edit
Tags: modifications, spare wheel

I recently posted the following on three different motorhome forums hoping to get help with an issue which, if they think about it, probably effects most demountable camper owners.

“The spare wheel on my Ford Ranger, like most pickups, is held under the rear of the pickup bed and, when I’ve got the camper mounted (a Leisure Camper EC8L) is a pain in the neck to get at. I had to make a modified winding arm so that I can lower the spare even with the camper in place but on some pickups, where access to the winding mechanism is through a hole in the pickup bed, I imagine that would have been impossible.

I’ve been looking at alternatives like fixing the spare to the bonnet or to an ‘A’-bar, both of which would have the added advantage of moving the weight of the spare forwards. The bonnet idea looks like a non-starter – it would obviously mean getting some sort of structure fabricated to carry and distribute the weight of the wheel but I’m not convinced that any part of the Ranger bonnet is strong enough to carry that. I’ve also noticed that the LandRover bonnet mounting kit includes strengthened hinges and bonnet stay and so I’d probably need to think about doing that as well. Finally, of course, there’s the question of whether, or not, I could see over it – always helpful when I’m driving I find!

So I’m left with the ‘A’-bar idea. I understand these are the subject of impending EU legislation and may become difficult to obtain but, for the time being anyway, they are still available and would seem to offer a comparatively simple, bolt-on frame to which the spare could be attached. I have some misgivings about whether carrying a wheel mounted in front of the radiator is likely to cause problems of overheating though and would be interested to hear forum readers’ ideas about that. I’d also like to know from anybody who has fitted an ‘A’-bar whether they feel the construction and fitting of the bar are sufficiently strong to cope with stresses and vibrations of carrying a wheel.

Incidentally, before anybody suggests that I should leave the spare at home and carry a can of Tyreweld, I have thought about it but rejected the idea.”

Sadly the only response I got was from someone who didn’t read the final paragraph and suggested exactly that. Duh!

Anyway, in the absence of any other choice, I pursued the ‘A’-bar idea by ringing someone who was selling one on Ebay and asked them the same questions. This turned out to be a really good move. The seller was a guy called Steve who runs his business FourDrive Styling through Ebay. He not only sells stainless steel ‘A’-bars, among many other things, but also manufactures mild steel, powder-coated ones. After a brief discussion of the issues, he offered to make and send me an uncoated mild steel bar to which I can then get additional metalwork welded (in order to carry the wheel itself) before having the whole thing powder-coated. A brilliant solution, hopefully.
where to put the spare wheel? part 2
Published December 29, 2010 modifications , pickup stuff , practical stuff Leave a Comment Edit
Tags: modifications, spare wheel

If you haven’t already done so, you might like to read the ‘where to put the spare wheel?’ post before you read this or it may not make much sense.

In the end I did indeed order an ‘A’-bar from Steve at Fourdrive Styling. While I waited for it to arrive I went through a number of design ideas for additional steel fabrication in order to carry the wheel. This was not quite as straightforward as it seemed at first because I quickly realised that it would necessarily have to be removable. If I wasn’t carrying the camper there was no problem with the spare going back in its cradle under the pickup bed: in fact it was preferable that it should, so that its weight was behind the rear wheels. But, aware that ‘A’-bars and all other sorts of bull-bars were coming under the close scrutiny of the EU, I certainly didn’t want unprotected bolts or any other metalwork projecting forwards beyond the ‘A’-bar and presenting an unacceptable hazard to pedestrians, or anyone else, should I have the misfortune to be involved in an accident. Eventually I came up with a design for a wheel carrier that could be clamped, or unclamped, with a couple of ‘U’-bolts around a piece of 50mm-square box section. This box section would be welded across the ‘A’ of the ‘A’-bar which is otherwise made entirely of round tube.

Having gone through all that, however, once the bar had actually arrived and I’d had a chance to look at it and its construction properly, it occurred to me that the wheel could be fixed just as safely and securely with ratchet straps or, as I eventually decided to use, a combination of ratchet straps and metal-hooked tie-down straps, the latter giving the additional reassurance that they can’t be worn through. Having made that decision there was no reason not to get the bar coated straight away so I found a local firm, Wheelworx of Colchester, gave them a call and dropped off the bar and its fittings to be powder-coated in black. A few days later I was able to collect it and fit it to my Ranger – a straightforward procedure following the instructions that came with it from Fourdrive Styling. It took a couple of experiments to find the best way of attaching the straps and the wheel but in the end I devised a system where two hooked tie-down straps carry most of the wheel’s weight while two ratchet straps pull it back tight against the ‘A’-bar. In all cases obviously care had to be taken to avoid the straps running over sharp metal edges or getting chafed.

So, how does it work in practice and what are my conclusions?

So far we’ve done a couple of thousand miles with the camper on the back and the spare fixed up front in this way and I can honestly say that it hasn’t shifted at all. It, and the ‘A’-bar, remain rock-solid up to about 65mph at which point there is a slight vibration of both. This hasn’t been unduly alarming but I shall try to eliminate it if I can, perhaps with additional or stronger bracing – the ‘A’-bar has a couple of fairly flimsy metal straps going back through the grill and bolted to the pickup’s bodywork. They could benefit from being reinforced.

Having the considerable weight of the spare shifted from so far back (behind the rear axle) to so far forwards (about 30cms in front of the pickup) has significantly improved the ride when we’re carrying the camper. The previous inclination to rock backwards and forwards has all but gone.

Obviously I don’t know whether all pickups would react in the same way, but carrying the wheel in front of the radiator has not apparently had any impact at all on our engine’s running temperature. The gauge (which does work!) remains steadily in the ‘normal’ zone even when undertaking long hill climbs though, to be fair, we haven’t tried going over the Alps in the height of summer yet.

Had I known to begin with that I wasn’t going to get any additional fabrication done, I guess that I might have spent the extra cash and bought one of the stainless bars that Fourdrive Styling also make and sell but, in my opinion, the black one looks OK and when the spare’s attached to it you can hardly see it anyway.

Finally I should point out that my wheels, including the spare, are just standard Ford steel rims. Even so, it would really cheese me off if someone was to nick the spare off the front, though I think it’s very, very unlikely anyone would try. Obviously it would only take a sharp knife to cut through a ratchet strap, or indeed four ratchet straps, but a short length of chain and a lock through the wheel and the bar could easily prevent the wheel from being removed completely. I guess if you’ve got a very expensive set of alloys you might want to pay slightly more attention to that aspect.

Incidentally, we carried the spare this way for many more than the 2000 miles I mentioned in the second post and never had a problem with it at all. Despite some concern I had to begin with, the police in UK and France showed no interest in it. I'm afraid these are not particularly informative but these are the pics that went with the posts.

Image Image

Image Image

Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

wonkywheel

October 28th, 2021, 6:35 pm

Thanks for the information, Martin.

I must admit I hadn't thought of utilising an "A" bar on the front. I was thinking more like the swing-out spare wheel carriers on some jeeps to allow access to the tailgate only fixed to the front of the cabover bed nose.
Your solution ticks quite a few of the boxes I would like to address. The only disadvantage that I can see is the increased overall length with regard to parking and turning circle and these are already compromised carrying the demountable.

A definite maybe on that one :roll:

Even without mounting a spare wheel, I quite like the idea of a bull bar, (legal of course)

Now to check out the 4 x 4 aftermarket sites.

Martin, nice one. 8-)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

October 28th, 2021, 9:05 pm

Couldn't just put it inside camper on floor could you?

wonkywheel

October 30th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Zildjan,

it can get a bit crowded in the back. I already have my large Coleman cool box (no fridge), my folding bicycle and my large plastic caravan steps. Anyway, it wouldn't help as much with the weight distribution.

I might just come to that if I haven't found an alternative solution before any planned long journeys. Having identified the potential problem it will only be on my mind all the time.

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

October 30th, 2021, 6:24 pm

Difficult choice;
When did I last have a puncture
What is likelihood of me getting one when away

As you say though, camper would have to come off to drop it from beneath loadbed anyway,

(If) it helps I can only think of one member having a flat on holiday,
think if it was me I'd leave spare off with tailgate and take a can of sealant
and in the unhappy event either get RAC to take it for repair, and run on resealed tyre and buy a replacement while away

wonkywheel

October 31st, 2021, 10:52 am

Zildjian,

I think I'm with you on that.

Apart from the aesthetic appeal of a bull bar or "A" bar, on reflection, the need to carry a spare has diminished along with my stamina levels. The enthusiasm for the idea I might like to do something like the SC 500 has now been tainted with a little realism. ( On my own, too old, too expensive )

Should I decide on a bull bar, I will certainly be looking for one that could be adapted to fit a spare wheel and possibly a couple of cans of diesel. Just in case my enthusiasm gets the better of my common sense.

So for the time being, 2 cans of puncture repair and a mini electric pump will satisfy my concerns about no spare

Thank you both for your help.

Camper aedificavit domum

kernowjon

March 25th, 2022, 9:13 pm

Hi Mark, we have the same problem on the L200. I can access the hole where the hook thing pushes through. But the T piece winder is a non starter The solution was to weld a 19mm nut to the end of the extension and then using a ratchet drive I can lower and raise the spare.

OK it is not comfortable lying half under the back of the rig - not even when dropping the wheel at the tyre place to get a new spare! But how often do you envisage having to change a tyre? - I hope never but if I do at least I know it is doable.

But then I realised your camper has a step down so maybe you will not have access I have with a flat floor.

SPC

March 27th, 2022, 8:55 am

Hi Martin and all.
We were fortunate enough to buy Martin and Claire's Ranger and Karosser. A teriffic set up which served us very well for 6 years. The spare stayed on the front, a great place to have it.
We now have a different truck and camper and again the spare wheel is on the front.
The last time we had a flat was January this year on a Saturday night in Northumberland on the way back to Norfolk from Scotland. It probably held us up for 30 minutes .
I would post a picture but unfortunately I don't seem able.