Suntrekker on T4 Double Cab project

Self builds and DIY projects
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Suntrekker on T4 Double Cab project

April 15th, 2015, 6:12 pm

We've seen the picture before where I think it was for sale although I can't find it now, that steel sub-frame certainly sounds a little higher than i'd have liked anyway.

Phoenixsp1

May 16th, 2015, 6:28 pm

I've been plodding on slowly with Suntrekker. The tasks completed are as follows:

1. Completed the panels above the windows with the rails and have now carpeted these.
2. Removed the carpet from the Luton roof ( I had planned to keep this but it was a horrible colour) and added battening and bubble wrap insulation between the battens.
3. Added a layer of army roll matt insulation on the entire roof including the Luton.
4. Added a 4mm birch ply roof panel to the main body which has been treated with Osmo Poly X oil, I've also made a panel for the Luton roof.
5. The original electrics in the Suntrekker are a bit old fashioned but work, so I've added my own circuit panel to run in parallel. I've made a control panel from plywood coated with perspex which runs across the front of the Luton but follows the original angle of the roof. This contains a circuit breaker panel, volt meter, USB power sockets, 12 v fag lighter socket a Kenwood mechless head unit and 2 5.25 coaxial speakers. This was really so I have access to these items without getting up from bed. :D I plan to add extra lighting and power a TV / Compressor coolbox.

6. I've removed the plastic panel from the door and replaced this with chequer plate which I plan to powder coat black. The bulging plastic panel is now on the inside of the door so the door is still double glazed but its a bit more private inside.

Hopefully I will get the main side panels carpetted and back in tomorrow.

zildjian
Site Admin

May 16th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Clive you've been occupied we can see!

Whats the outside like, would it benefit from new graphics break up that expanse of white or maybe (product placement)

of our lovely site membership stickers

derestrictor

May 16th, 2015, 7:58 pm

coming along well Pheonix that camper.
are there any pictures of the way you boxed in the sides please

saDgit

May 16th, 2015, 8:45 pm

It's looking good Clive. I really like the chequerplate door panel and the fact that you've used the window inside it. That two-part door was always a lousy bit of design - ours didn't even have the benefit of those bulging plastic double-glazed windows but was just a single sheet of glass in each half of the door. That and the aluminium frame - you could fill a bucket with the condensation each morning :!:
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

Phoenixsp1

May 17th, 2015, 2:19 pm

zildjian wrote:Whats the outside like, would it benefit from new graphics break up that expanse of white or maybe
Still white at the moment. Yes, that would be great if you've got any spare.
derestrictor wrote:coming along well Pheonix that camper.
are there any pictures of the way you boxed in the sides please
Cheers, I don't have any pictures but I will take some when I find my camera. The panels are bolted on and can be removed if necessary to fit the body on a standard pickup. I used a rivnut tool and stainless nuts to attach the chequer plate to ali angle and then bolted or rivetted the angle to the body with a bit of sika here and there.
saDgit wrote:It's looking good Clive. I really like the chequerplate door panel and the fact that you've used the window inside it. That two-part door was always a lousy bit of design - ours didn't even have the benefit of those bulging plastic double-glazed windows but was just a single sheet of glass in each half of the door. That and the aluminium frame - you could fill a bucket with the condensation each morning :!:
Cheers Martin, I'm not keen on the door myself but I'm glad it doesn't have glass panels. I'm on the lookout for a better handle and some dead locks for both parts of the door as the one fitted could easily be forced and looks a bit naff. Ideally I want to change the door so its possible to open the lower part without opening the top when required, the reason for this is I plan to add some sort of rack on the back high up so I can carry a couple of bikes but I don't want to have to remove them to get in and out when I'm on the road.

saDgit

May 17th, 2015, 6:38 pm

Phoenixsp1 wrote:I plan to add some sort of rack on the back high up so I can carry a couple of bikes but I don't want to have to remove them to get in and out when I'm on the road.
Cool idea, I like it!
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab

Phoenixsp1

June 5th, 2015, 9:48 pm

I completed a few jobs over the last week; The inside is now nearly fully re-carpeted with an extra layer of insulation underneath, i know it looks a bit grey and boring but at least it shouldn't show any dirt. I've fitted some blackout blinds at the windows with mozi nets which I prefer to the original curtains. The other job was fitting some led strip lights above the windows and I have one more to fit above the door. There is a birch ply panel which fits in the Luton roof which is missing on the photo as I have a bit of wiring to do behind the control panel so it wasn't worth putting back.

Plenty more jobs to do but I am getting down them slowly. If you're wondering what the yellow tape is for its not permanent, I was just marking some screw holes as its easy to lose them in the carpet.

saDgit

June 6th, 2015, 8:02 am

Wow! That's looking really good Clive. Grey and boring is good - as you say, it hides the muck. As far as I can remember in our Suntrekker when we slid the bed out it came some way across the windows and would have fouled against those really nice blind/mozi net cassettes. I guess your hanging system avoids that huh?
Martin

Phoenixsp1

June 6th, 2015, 11:19 am

saDgit wrote:As far as I can remember in our Suntrekker when we slid the bed out it came some way across the windows and would have fouled against those really nice blind/mozi net cassettes. I guess your hanging system avoids that huh?
In theory yes but at the moment the clearance is a bit tight, only about 15mm each side, so you have to be pretty careful when you slide the bed out. This is not always the case if I've had a couple of beers. :o I cut the original steel support down by a couple of inches each end and bolted on the door strikers from a Passat as they looked nice stainless and were free. (You can see them in the pic at either end of the steel support) I think I'm going to cut the steel down the extra 2 inches either side so it's flush with the ply and then bolt the loops through the front of the steel support. I still need to have a method to lock the bed when it's slid out, I think I'll use a couple of door bolts that go into the side of the board, it needs to stop the board twisting otherwise the blinds would get damaged, hopefully it will work. :?: I still need to make some sort of headboard or trim the original one at some point.