Self builds and DIY projects
Amanda_P

Re: Suntrekker on T4 Double Cab project

September 2nd, 2018, 8:52 pm

Phoenixsp1 wrote:
zildjian wrote:
27.jpg
Will it go on that silver VW still?
Not sure, I think would look better on something else. Like the look of the guy whos put his on the newish Hilux singlecab. Good job the sides are removable.. It might grow on me once its painted.
Would that be this guy? Cos that’s me!

Why paint it? Mine’s not painted, just the original gel coat. It was a built dull and chalky, and I’d thought of getting it resprayed, but then I remembered that years ago, a body shop guy had suggested that a machine polish all over would bring it up like new. So I bought an orbital polishing machine and a set of cutting and polishing compounds. A few hours’ work later, it has come up like new. Unless you really want it a different colour, machine-cut-and-polish may do the doing.

Phoenixsp1

September 4th, 2018, 9:43 pm

Amanda_P wrote:Would that be this guy? Cos that’s me!
#

Oh ok, sorry Amanda :)
Amanda_P wrote: Image

Why paint it? Mine’s not painted, just the original gel coat. It was a built dull and chalky, and I’d thought of getting it resprayed, but then I remembered that years ago, a body shop guy had suggested that a machine polish all over would bring it up like new. So I bought an orbital polishing machine and a set of cutting and polishing compounds. A few hours’ work later, it has come up like new. Unless you really want it a different colour, machine-cut-and-polish may do the doing.
Yours does look nice, but I think your gel coat is in slightly better nick than mine.

Also to be honest I'm not overly fond of the colour and I've chopped mine about a bit, so there are parts that are currently a different colour ie. Plywood with fibreglass over the top. Also someones painted part of the roof before, where it drops down at the side, looks like they used some house paint or something. I also need to put a couple of patches on the roof as someone has put two big lumps of body filler on the top and not rubbed it down for some reason???

Hopefully will have chance to crack on with it tomorrow.

How do you find your Hilux and what is the fuel consumption like with and without the suntrekker?
Last edited by Phoenixsp1 on September 6th, 2018, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenixsp1

September 6th, 2018, 3:48 pm

Started sanding today and mine has definitely been repaired under the mismatched paint on the roof, looks like they've hit a tree or something and driven down the full length of the box where it drops from the roof to join the side. Rather than repair the gelcoat they've just filled it and painted over the top. The tape is where I've exposed small holes in the gelcoat as its now started raining, typical!

Also found some very large metal washers under two big dobs of car body filler at the front of the roof. I think there might have been roof rails bolted to the roof at some time, who ever filled the original holes did a right bodge so I'll be fixing it properly if it stops raining.

Ogden scamper

September 7th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Ah, bodged repairs (my favourite) always view any stickers or checker plate with suspicion too...

Phoenixsp1

October 7th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Finally painted and looks a lot tidier now, colour doesn’t look much different but it’s called light aircraft grey and looks different in the flesh. Have also colour coded the back door so it doesn’t stand out so much now. Will hopefully get more jobs done this week as ordered a few bits like new herzim strip.
77733986-B31B-486A-8FFA-5FE021EEAFAB.jpeg
CC4E1824-D03B-482E-ADB8-48725CC5FDD9.jpeg

wonkywheel

October 7th, 2018, 10:02 pm

You have got a good gloss finish on it. I can see the house behind you in the reflection.
Well done.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4