SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

February 14th, 2023, 8:33 pm

Good,
weather is improving so that should help motivate.
I think there are some truck microwaves that run off 12v though in fairness I couldn't find any and had to look out the smallest
mains model to run when hooked up somewhere, did try a small inverter with some success and I expect like everything else
they've probably progressed in leaps and bounds since
will be interested to see what you come up with

wonkywheel

February 25th, 2023, 6:12 pm

The inverter has arrived today :D

Its only a cheap one (£82) off ebay and is supposed to be a full sine wave output but at that price I doubt it.
I wanted one to run a microwave, (the biggest power draw i will use) so this is 1000w continuous. I intend an 800w microwave.

Eager to test out my new toy I rushed up to the camper with it. Bloody cold so I took advantage of the Chinese diesel heater to warm things up. Still works great although I did notice when I connected the inverter it was only showing 12.5/12.6 volts with the glow plug lit up in the heater.
The battery connections on the inverter are crocodile clips but I will put in permanent heavy duty cables when i've decided where to position it.

I need to fix the TV/monitor to the bracket before I test it driven by the inverter. There is a possibility that the inverter will cause some interference and the TV position is fixed but I can move the inverter about at this stage. So there was no testing of the 240v output. That will follow when I have cleared some space.

With the sun out, even at the low angle it is at the minute, The inverter was showing a healthy voltage. :roll: and the heater was still ticking along nice and comfortable. :lol:
With it being a cheap model its not all that efficient. The conversion rate is 80%, so according to their calculations an 800w microwave should run:-
12v x 220ah x 0.8 x 0.9/800 = 2.376 hr
Those figures I consider might work once but could destroy the batteries. (possibly obtainable with a lithium battery as they have more usable power)I only intend its use for short periods so that hopefully will not be a problem. I am also hoping that the solar feed, if the sun is out will keep things going nicely.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

wonkywheel

February 26th, 2023, 5:35 pm

A bit more testing today.

I took a Bush 24 inch TV up to the camper to try.
It worked very well, with no problems. I ended up watching a part of "The Flight of the Navigator" which was on a DVD I must have left in it.
I'm not sure how long I could run it as the sun was out and although the initial voltage was 13.7v it did fall to 12.7v during the 20 minutes I sat watching.

I had intended positioning the inverter in the clothes wardrobe where the solar controller is but after some recommendations from users on the sister site I have changed my mind. That was to position the inverter as close to the batteries as is practical with beefed up cabling to avoid voltage drop.
I have the battery box as a step under the table an my first thought was to put in there with the batteries. I perhaps foolhardily have never completed venting the batteries to the outside. It didn't seem a problem with no source of ignition close to, but if the inverter was in there with them high amp switching could potentially cause sparks.
I have a lower step in front of the battery box, there to stop my short legs dangling while sitting at the table. This is both tall enough and deep enough to accommodate the inverter allowing isolation and the ability to have cooling air circulating around it. Simple :idea: It also has the benefit of only needing about a foot of heavy gauge cable to hook it up.
Any longer wire will be 240v fly lead so not so susceptible to voltage drop. ;)

I had installed an outdoor WiFi extender aerial on the outside of the house some time ago and was surprised and delighted that the smart TV asked for my WiFi password to log on. That's great when you consider the camper is behind the shed in line of site and about 90ft
away.
That means I will be able to log on with my Raspberry pi computer when I use the TV as a monitor.
A good successful day in the sunshine and no chemotherapy until tomorrow. :D :D
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

February 26th, 2023, 8:08 pm

Think I only thought about an inverter so as to be able to use a MW, think just about every other item is 12V battery friendly,
not sure what the long term effect on a battery is though as you say its only for occasional use

wonkywheel

May 10th, 2023, 2:55 am

Finally got around to posting a bit more on progress.
I fitted larger power cables to the inverter then screwed it to the floor under the front step.
I cut out a hole for the end control panel to poke through.
A quick test by connecting the TV with an extension cable proved it worked OK
My purchase of a cheap indoor Ariel proved to be a total waste of money as no signals were found.
I'm not sure if the aluminium box section space frame that the camper is built of acts like a Faraday cage blocking electrical signals. Further tests with the indoor ariel outside might give a clue.

The hole cut in the step front is very rough and will need tiding up but I will wait until l had a chance to run the inverter for a period of time to see if I need to add ventilation holes of even a small fan unit as the inverter has two fans to clear the heat from the case.

Part of the reason for the delay in posting was the need to get the camper ready for its first trip to Santapod Raceway this year. As it happens the meeting was postponed due to the camping field being waterlogged. The preparation included having to shuffle camper, Cadillac and truck around to be able to try to fault find a problem with the rear light wiring. and I needed access to the rear lower panels which were too close to the fence.
It took quite a while to find the fault in the neutral/earth wire.
The postponed meeting was replaced with a no camping event. Basically meaning the need to purchase day tickets to be able to attend. The original meeting went ahead at the end of the month with one of the camping fields still unable to take mobile homes with their added weight and front wheel drive. Luckily with the camper on I was able to use 4 wheel drive.
On that outing I notice one evening that the battery voltage had dropped to 12.4 volts, (not good) . The early morning sun on the solar panel soon brought it up to a healthy 13 odd volts. I was at a loss as to what had caused the power loss until later. After returning to the camper I noticed that the inverter was on. Nothing was plugged in running but it is a constant drain on power. I must have inadvertently kicked the switch on. So not only do I need to add air vents but also a clear perspex cover to stop that happening again.

I will add photo's later when I have uploaded them off my phone.

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

May 10th, 2023, 6:14 pm

Bet that's lovely over at Santa Pod just now isn't it.

I bought one of these aerial's, works great, has a magnetic base which would have placed on roof by poking out through skylight
except of course roof is aluminium
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204043908134 ... BMvNam6oBi
1.jpg

which I'd not actually considered at point of purchase

wonkywheel

May 10th, 2023, 11:14 pm

Thanks Zildjian,
That looks just the job, Ill order one of those. I should be able to ease the inner ceiling skin away and put a metal plate under the fiberglass for it to stick to..
Mine might have to have the lead out a side window as my roof light has an electric fan and a fly grill.
As you know I'm a big fan of drag racing especially with Santapod being so close. I have been up to the only other permanent strip which is near York and only runs one eighth of a mile races. I am again getting ready for another visit at the end of the month. I hoping to get the inverter perspex window in place before then.

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

May 11th, 2023, 6:19 pm

Tried using inside but like a mifi or phone, the aluminium body doesn't allow that so well so it
went out through skylight,
No direction needed, and works a lot easier than the satellite dish i installed at start, I'd remove it but then I'd need to plug the hole it passes through in roof to direction disk on ceiling

wonkywheel

May 12th, 2023, 9:29 pm

The satellite dish must be an added windbreak plus you have to remember to take it down before moving off.
As I was leaving one race meeting I notice a mobile home behind me with a massive dish still up like a sail. I stopped to flag him down but he was very reluctant to stop and almost ran me down. When I pointed out his error he was very red faced and apologetic. He had struggled to get from the camping field to the exit road.
I dread to think what damage would have been done travelling.

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

May 12th, 2023, 9:55 pm

Spoke to someone {used} to rent out both static caravans and motorhomes to local authorities following floods and other natural disasters
and he was telling me about the people frequently set off with wind-out awnings still rolled out beside campers
he'd had to replace