SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

April 29th, 2022, 8:54 pm

USB within easy reach of pillow yes,
outdoor lights though, buy Solar powered,
https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... NkQ9pwGCAU
Screenshot 2022-04-29 at 20.53.54.png

turn themselves on at dusk and require no power outlet

wonkywheel

April 30th, 2022, 2:36 pm

Like these?

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

wonkywheel

May 4th, 2022, 8:25 pm

I did notice a problem with pictures not being available in earlier posts. bbimg ing says it was a fault that they have now fixed.

No work was done as after the Santapod trip I had a family week in Newquay. I really must do something about the legs. I took the camper off for the Newquay trip now its to back on for a trip to a fairly new drag racing venue near York. Melbourne Raceway for this weekend it is then. No work again 8-) :roll:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

May 5th, 2022, 12:44 pm

I did search some random old pages of this thread, didn't notice any missing images
so hopefully they've corrected whatever it was they had fail

wonkywheel

May 13th, 2022, 7:42 pm

As I was out at a new venue with no "Buddies" stringing along, I left the 4m event shelter at home. No need for a big socializing area and I wasn't sure on the Space restrictions. As it happens there was plenty of space. It was a bit of a free for all, park where you like.

The heater turned out to be a great asset. Cold mornings became a thing of the past and I even had it on one cold evening to increase my comfort level.

View from the back door

I had taken some of the side awning pieces with me and managed to test out putting it up in the field. I only attempted one section as there was quite a wind and it started to rain. It looks a bit sad hanging there like wet washing but it did stay up in the wind and rain. Did dump the rainwater and not pool it, and it did allow me to cook outside and avoid cooking smells in the camper.

Filled with new enthusiasm for the awning now. Upon my return home I tried putting the two side sections together and fitting them. A lack of space, no space for guy ropes, and a strong wind thwarted my attempt. The wind separated the two side panels and then slid them out of the awning rail. :(
Not to be beaten I got the sewing machine out and stitched the two panels together with an overlap to avoid rainwater seeping through.

I have two weeks to sort things out before my next 4 day weekend away. Hopefully, that will complete the side awning. Possibly add the rear awning. Sort the cupboard doors out that are held closed with a piece of bungee cord.

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

May 13th, 2022, 9:56 pm

Looks good in use doesn't it, parking a bit of a free-for-all like you say but rather that than the tape-measured regimentation of the Caravan club :)

I keep toying with idea of adding sides to the awning, and it's always the guy rope thing puts me off, its all a bit 'camping' for me somehow.

Those heaters are good aren't they, I only removed mine from truck the other week as it's just so useful, as you've found, on those cold mornings....

wonkywheel

May 15th, 2022, 2:53 pm

It was the first time I had put the awning up successfully. Having put my event shelter up at the previous meeting only to be let down by "mates" not turning up. I am going to concentrate on just the awning for the time being. I made it out of quite heavy waterproof material and might, "run another up" :D :roll: in a much lighter camo ripstop to see how that fares. I have some materials that I purchase to make some covers for the garden furniture that I haven't used yet.
I have an overdoor awning and material to make a joining corner piece but I don't have enough space to try it all together.

It was going to back to rear steps as my caravan steps are not quite high enough for the new truck, complete with lift packing. But, the butterfly brain seems to go off at tangents too many times.

You say about being a bit too camping :D
I did brush up on my Bowline, McCarthy hitch and truckers hitch before putting the awning up.

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

July 24th, 2022, 9:44 pm

At he last meeting at Santapod and the Runaway meeting, I didn't have a problem with the step height.

I think I manages to park my rear wheels in a bit of a dip and it was just enough to make it comfortable getting in and out.

With that in mind, I turned my attention to the leg fixings. On both front leg brackets, I broke an M8 tap while threading. So they have always only ever been fixed on with 2 x M8 High tensile cap head screws and an 8mm dowel.

I need to improve the fixings and managed to find a very good quality engineering tap and die manufacturer.

Avontapdie.co.uk supplied me with 3 Hss taps (a taper, second cut and plug tap) and 3 Dormer tapping size drills for £22. That included delivery. As a retired precision engineer and toolmaker, I know quality when I see it.
I intend to put 4 new fixing holes in each bracket and this time use stainless steel screws.
I am hoping loading will be much easier now I have had the driveway block paved. The rough ground previously resembled a building site and just locating the truck under was difficult.

Nicely tucked up the corner to give plenty of room for what I hope will be a new play thing.

Not mine but I do have an interest in it

Anyway, back to the job in hand,

Ill post pictures of the new fixings as and when I do them. Also the tempory fix on the internal cupboard doors.

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

July 25th, 2022, 6:58 pm

That's going to make life a lot easier,
g.jpeg

I had to do same for same reason,
in terms of keeping things in cupboards, sprung loaded clips won't be enough, they aren't on drawers for cutlery.pots/pans

you have to pass a spatula handle down through drawer handles

wonkywheel

February 12th, 2023, 3:48 pm

Hi all,
After quite a long time without a post I have decided to try to get back into the build.
I contemplated putting the camper up for sale earlier but have had a change of heart.
I would miss it too much.
The ability to just load it up and go off for long weekends is a big draw. It also makes a good heated office/workspace where I can go and enjoy a bit of music at a volume of my choice without disturbing too many people.(Its surprising how well the heat insulation does the same for the noise)
As always progress will be slow, especially if the tiredness caused by chemo-radiation treatment is anywhere as bad as suggested.

There are a lot of jobs that are unfinished but this has always been the way with me. As soon as its near enough to use then I move on with the intention of finishing off later after I have been out in it.
The plan is to add an inverter to be able to get a 240 volt supply.
I would like to be able to run a tv (as a monitor for my Raspberry pi computer)
A small microwave oven would be a handy addition and a small lce making machine.
Also either a WiFi Ariel or a local hot spot unit.

If all goes according to plan I will be going to the sister group runaway at the end of June to knights stainforth hall camping and caravan park. So I hope to meet up with friends old and new.

PS
Any advise or suggestions on the proposed additions would be welcomed.

Camper aedificavit domum