The Gas Thread

New to it all ? ask here for advice and check out these quick buyers guides
TrueDink

Re: Gas in France

May 17th, 2015, 11:36 pm

You will not find Calor anywhere in France. The best system to use is the refillable LPG type either Gaslow or Gasit. The bottle and fittings aren't cheap to buy but will save you money in the long run as LPG is really cheap. LPG or GPL as its called in France is redly available. But since you going next week that may not be a viable option. There are several different types of gas bottle from different companies in France and I have no experience with any of them as I've always used LPG with my Gaslow bottle and taken a Calor Lite as a spare. Campingaz is a universal alternative but its extremely expensive.
Nissan NP300 Navara Tekna double cab
S.Karosser EC6L-2.0

rubberrat

May 18th, 2015, 8:36 am

First of all, recap this thread: http://www.demountablecampergroup.com/v ... f=32&t=198

We had a discussion about this recently. We managed two and a bit months on the original 2 x Calor 6kgs by using other fuels - Petrol stoves for outside cooking etc. If you are more off grid, then try to get a Gaslow refillable asap - worth knowing for those of you who have models that wont take even a 6kg cylinder, Gaslow now do an equivalent of Camping Gaz 907 as a refillable.

if time is short, get a Camping Gaz 907 and pigtail and fit that, although Gaz is expensive compared to Calor it is at least available everywhere.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

Dummies guide

May 18th, 2015, 10:34 am

I confess, I know nothing about gas beyond the bottle is either full or it isnt.

If someone cares to do a guide, we'll call it (Richards' ladybird book of gas stuff)
What gas will work with what,

The blue cannisters' whatever they are, won't work if you normally use the red ones'

I dunno I normally use hook-up anyway

Please help

zildjian
Site Admin

May 18th, 2015, 10:35 am

Some freeze if too cold as well I heard, then some dont.

Tony&Kika

May 18th, 2015, 10:36 am

Thanks for your prompt useful replies. I should be able to get a gaslow in time. What a great resource this group is! Tony :) :) :)

zildjian
Site Admin

May 18th, 2015, 10:40 am

My ignorance of all things gas is deep and carefully maintained

rubberrat

May 18th, 2015, 12:08 pm

I'll try to add a bit more to the gas thread later.

For your new GasLow system, ask the installer (or do this yourself) to fit the filling point on the outside of your gas locker door as some French gas filling stations are a but 'odd' about internal filling points and may refuse you.
This is a typical external fill install, but to save cutting your camper body, just cut it into the locker door itself. The less holes in the skin the better.

And make sure you have the correct adapters to other European countries filling stations.

Before you travel overseas, consider taking a small low wattage electric kettle (most French campsites are limited to 6amps) and take take a polarity checker - not just to be sure the polarity and earth are correct, but it also tests your connection to save a lot of fiddling about deciding whether its your kits that's faulty or the campsite outlet.

...and a reverse polarity cable adapter (make it yourself) as the French have a rather lax attitude to electricity.

This will reduce your gas useage.

Maybe consider buying one or two small Petrol Coleman Sportster stoves for outdoor cooking. These are small and light, and petrol is available everywhere..

rubberrat

Re: The Gas Thread

May 18th, 2015, 12:11 pm

Travelling in France (and beyond)

For your new GasLow system, ask the installer (or do this yourself) to fit the filling point on the outside of your gas locker door as some French gas filling stations are a but 'odd' about internal filling points and may refuse you.
This is a typical external fill install, but to save cutting your camper body, just cut it into the locker door itself. The less holes in the skin the better.

And make sure you have the correct adapters to other European countries filling stations.

Before you travel overseas, consider taking a small low wattage electric kettle (most French campsites are limited to 6amps) and take take a polarity checker - not just to be sure the polarity and earth are correct, but it also tests your connection to save a lot of fiddling about deciding whether its your kits that's faulty or the campsite outlet.

...and a reverse polarity cable adapter (make it yourself) as the French have a rather lax attitude to electricity.

This will reduce your gas useage.

Maybe consider buying one or two small Petrol Coleman Sportster stoves for outdoor cooking. These are small and light, and petrol is available everywhere..

Lost in the wilds

May 27th, 2015, 9:04 pm

Has anyone installed a refillable gas system in a Tischer (we've got a 230)? My local Gaslow dealer says it's not possible as there's insufficient room to fit the regulator above the bottles.
Failing that what about a Gas It system?

Lost in the wilds

claudius

June 1st, 2015, 9:16 pm

Lost in the wilds wrote:Has anyone installed a refillable gas system in a Tischer (we've got a 230)? My local Gaslow dealer says it's not possible as there's insufficient room to fit the regulator above the bottles.
Failing that what about a Gas It system?

Lost in the wilds
Bonsoir Lost in the wilds
See my post on page 2 of this thread, i posted some pictures of my refillable gas system in my Tischer 260 S
Claude
Nissan Navara D22 2003
Tischer Trail 260S 2003