September 6th, 2014, 7:23 am

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: K33F's self_build

September 6th, 2014, 7:26 am

keeflester

September 6th, 2014, 2:12 pm

I dodged the rain showers today and finally got the outside skin fitted. In testament to the monocoque principle of the construction, I was able to stand in the front of the luton once the sides were on. I left out any triangulation in the spaceframe structure to reduce complication and weight and rely on the holding qualities of the glue to maintain the rigidity of the final shell. I must say that I used an excessive amount and much of it was squeezed out when the joints were pinned, but rather that than too little eh!
I still have to panel the sections which will be home to the jacking points, but that will involve removing the legs and spigots, so I shall have to put it on my truck tomorrow.......Big Day
Pictures coming..
Now I have to figure out how to put the tarpaulin over the finished shell when I can't reach the top without standing on a shaky ladder. LOL
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.

keeflester

September 6th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:20 pm Post subject: Weather tight
Had a nice dry day and managed to finish the exterior panelling. Hardwood trims over all the joints, windows fitted and bedded onto a double bead of butyl sealant. Fitted the roof ventilator /skylights and bedded them also on a double bead of sealant. It goes on the truck tomorrow to have the vehicle electrics wired up and all the running lights fitted and tested. I bought all LED lights so I don't expect to be doing any bulb changing. Nothing much to look at so no pictures today.
Northstar 750, sold

keeflester

September 6th, 2014, 2:14 pm

keeflester

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:22 pm Post subject: Big day
Had a big day today, it was forecast fine so I thought I'd put a good thick coat of primer undercoat on the roof, and by the time I'd finished I had painted everywhere except the underside (which will be black anyway)

Somehow I made a miscalculation of the height of my truck bed above the ground, I think it must have been fully loaded, because the legs are a couple of paving slabs too short. I will make a set of plinths for the jacks and gain the added benefit of extra stability if I do it right.

Once it was painted, I wired up the 12S and the 12N plugs and put the leads up through holes in the floor. I bought three metres of each wire and that should be plenty. After that I fitted all the running lights, but these are still to be wired in. I had been wondering if there would be sufficient room behind the stairs for the plugs but it turned out there was plenty of space.

Forecast says rain tomorrow so I will be doing inside work.

Thanks to zildjian for posting the pictures again
Northstar 750, sold

keeflester

September 6th, 2014, 2:14 pm

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:12 pm Post subject: Progress report
Quite alot has happened since my last post. I had quite a few minor leaks to trace and sort. I forgot that I was going to stick the corner trims with CT1 and used the foaming polyurethane glue instead. Big mistake! So I had to seal every seam, even a pin-prick is enough to let water through and once it finds a way in it draws more water through behind it. We had some pretty awful wet weather so at least I can be sure that all the leaks are fixed. I bought some water based rubber roof paint to give the roof a complete breathable waterproof skin. The weather hasn't improved enough to use it yet,but I will do it when I can.
The inside has been completely panelled now and the floor laid.
Kitchen (of sorts) is fitted, very simple, just a linear arrangement, cooler, sink and cooker. Gas locker still to be finished, I'll be using two 3.9kg propane with manual change over, vents in the floor beneath the gas bottles.
Hinged section of floor closes down over the staircase nicely, and when it's up it covers the front of the dirty boots cubby hole.
The tv and wardrobe partition is in place with a reinforcing strut to take the weight of the tv on its swing and tilt bracket.
Electrics are all wired up, tested and working, I used an old zig unit from the caravan breaker and I shall have to re-label the switches to suit. Batteries are in a box across the front of the floor, my old leisure battery lost its life over the previous winter, so I replaced it with an agricultural fence battery. It's a deep cycle battery and designed to be used for the approximate purpose that I'm putting it to.
I had a problem with the caravan corner steadies. They just don't function as jacks. The nylon bush which winds along the screw stripped on one of them and they had to be removed. I decided to get two more of the agricultural jacks and they fit just fine in the bottom corners at the rear. Just by a fluke, they fit perfectly into either of the rear boxes so I can take them with me to use as steadies for windy weather.
I hope to be able to produce some pictures of the progress tomorrow.
Northstar 750, sold

keeflester

September 6th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:21 pm Post subject: Weekend update
We had visitors for the holiday weekend and slept in the camper so they could have our bed. The sleeping arrangements seem to work well enough, although once the bed is down there is only a narrow space for walking along side. Everything in life is a compromise, but it will be fine.
I still have to fine tune the electrics but I'm waiting for the smart chargers before I make unnecessary changes.
Beds will be coming out to allow me to finish the fitting out and do some decorating
More soon....
Northstar 750, sold

keeflester

September 6th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:44 pm Post subject: Final push
Took the camper off the truck today and emptied the interior to allow me to begin the final fitting out. I decided to modify the sofa bed in the main cabin. The narrow gap was causing kathy too much difficulty so a rethink is required. I am going to buy an ikea 90cm single mattress and a set of slats, make a frame for it cut down to fit the available room. Then I shall use the memory foam slab and cover everything with the upholstery fabric I have already used for the seat back. This will provide a permanent solution, both sofa and bed in the one item. Bedding can be stored in the space beneath. Smart chargers should arrive tomorrow and I can get on with the electrics. Next time the camper gets mounted on the truck it will be for its first proper trip, I hope.
Northstar 750, sold