Hello from South Derbyshire

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
Phoenixsp1

Hello from South Derbyshire

April 7th, 2015, 10:26 pm

Hi, just signed up to the forum so I thought I'd say hello.

I've got an old fibreglass suntrekker that I've been slowly modifying to fit on a VW T4 double cab syncro, sort of wishing I'd not started this project but going to see it through now :roll:

This is what it looked like a few months ago after I'd cut 150mm off the bottom of the Luton, so it didn't sit too high off the bed.

This is a mockup that I did for what I'm aiming for.

I don't have any pics but I have now squared off the body with some chequer plate panels, just looking for suitable locker doors. I'm going to keep the original windows now rather than fit Seitz S4s to save money but have some Nrf blinds with mozi nets to fit to replace the original curtains. This has meant I've had to change the pull out bed support system, so I'm currently reinforcing the area above the windows with 18mm ply to take unwin tracking, so I can then use a strap or cable to support the bed pull out, at least it means I can hang up other stuff.
I'm also adding extra insulation where possible and recarpetting the interior and using birch ply in places so it's not all carpet as before.

I'm Ditching the gas system and 3 way fridge in favour of a waeco compressor coolbox and Origo spirit cooker which I already own. Will also be adding an eberspacher diesel heater, 2 optima agm batteries, 1500 watt inverter and a couple of solar panels.

Hoping to have it seaworthy for its maiden voyage in a few months.
Last edited by Phoenixsp1 on April 8th, 2015, 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Hello from South Derbyshire

April 8th, 2015, 6:28 am

Good morning
An interesting idea, I've only seen a Tischer used on VW before now but probably for the 'ease' of fit I expect, you've chosen a different path.
That said I can see where your heading with the lockers certainly and will be agood looking outfit.

Got a few VW nuts here though most of them seem to be sleeping off Easter just now,

We are in your area last weekend in June if that suits,

Adjusted image size to thumbnails too so they display well,

now I can definitely see what your aiming to do and it looks good

See '2015 social' thread
Cheers Zildjian

rubberrat

April 8th, 2015, 7:46 am

Hi, aforementioned VW nut here. Owned split through T5, most more than once.
Looking good there. Zildjian and I run SKarossers who make a dedicated T5 demountable while is pretty much as good as they get. Something to think about in the future.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

TrueDink

April 8th, 2015, 8:40 am

Hello and welcome.
Nissan NP300 Navara Tekna double cab
S.Karosser EC6L-2.0

Phoenixsp1

April 8th, 2015, 10:06 am

rubberrat wrote:Looking good there. Zildjian and I run SKarossers who make a dedicated T5 demountable while is pretty much as good as they get. Something to think about in the future.
Cheers.

When I bought the truck June 2014 and I starting having a good look around for bodies that would fit and the only ones I could find were in Germany and made by Tischer or Bimobil and were out of my price range. I've seen a couple of pics of the Skarosser model that is specific for my truck but were on a T5 DOKA and I do like the look of it, not sure if there are many about though?

Then an older model Tischer came up on mobile.de which was specific for the T4 DOKA, I think this was a 280 which I think is the floor length 2800mm? The German owner didn't respond to any of my messages so I'm guessing it was sold? By September I was started to get a bit disheartened and bought the Suntrekker on a whim off eBay without really thinking about it.
TrueDink wrote:Hello and welcome.
Thanks and Hello
zildjian wrote:Good morning. We are in your area last weekend in June if that suits
I will have a look at that, it would definitely be good to see some other demountables, the only one I've seen was an Apollo.
zildjian wrote:Adjusted image size to thumbnails too so they display well,
Thanks, I added the post on my iPhone and couldn't work out how to do that.
zildjian wrote:now I can definitely see what your aiming to do and it looks good
Cheers, we'll see how it turns out in the end, probably too much chequer plate for most peoples tastes lol I'm sure my neighbours think I'm mad! :lol:
Last edited by Phoenixsp1 on April 8th, 2015, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

zildjian
Site Admin

April 8th, 2015, 10:16 am

First rule demountable ownership, ignore neighbour/caravan club sneering ;)

Any images your unsure will fit feel free to mail me them (just tell me where they belong or if there's a sequence in them)

I like Suntreckers, a few of the group have owned them, most like the watertight guarantee that some 'modern' demount's don't seem able to provide

Phoenixsp1

April 8th, 2015, 10:41 am

zildjian wrote:I like Suntreckers, a few of the group have owned them, most like the watertight guarantee that some 'modern' demount's don't seem able to provide
The previous eBay owner failed to mention that it leaked through the claytonrite window seal in the Luton. After much swearing I managed to replace the seal and its now dry, so at least I'm learning some new skills.

zildjian
Site Admin

April 8th, 2015, 1:17 pm

That's bad luck right there,
not actually heard of one leaking, well there was one but that had been sat in a nettle patch for years and open to the elements unfortuantely

derestrictor

April 8th, 2015, 8:43 pm

Hallo phoenix welcome to forum :roll:

Peaky

April 8th, 2015, 9:57 pm

Hi Phoenix & welcome to the Forum.
Please keep us updated with plenty of pics of your project & if you have any questions, then just fire away ;)

Andy
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0