Bimobil Import??

New to it all ? ask here for advice and check out these quick buyers guides
Chrisbb

Bimobil Import??

August 28th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Hello there,

I'm new here and was hoping somebody here might have some Bimobil experience?
I am planning on buying a Ford Ranger in the UK, get it converted by Bimobil in Germany and then take it back here and update the registration just for the truck (higher gross weight limit etc).
But Bimobil seems to be a special case - I've spoken to them and in Germany this set-up doesn't count as a demountable, because you remove the flatbed and the cabin is mounted onto the back in a way that counts as fixed - even though you can remove it. So I guess it kind of becomes a coachbuild caravan. On top of that they don't issue CoC documents. Does it work the same way in the UK? I'm a bit scared of starting asking questions to the DVLA as you need to get lucky and get hold of a person who really knows about this stuff...

I juste received a German example Registration document from Bimobil.
in field 22 it basically says that the car has 3 different "setup states" (not sure if there is a better english expression for it):
1: just platform
2: pick-up tub
3: with bimobil camper box
Does anybody know if in the UK you "can" or "have to" register all these different states as well?

I am hoping that in the UK the Bimobil box might still pass as a demountable that doesn't require registration?

Any pointers would be very much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!!

Christoph

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Bimobil Import??

August 28th, 2020, 4:17 pm

Good afternoon,
You are quite right not go asking difficult questions at DVLA or (worse still, their neighbour VOSA)
as they would make a mountain out of a molehill in order to collect yet more money off you
so best not do that,
besides which Swansea just now seem completely unable to do more than register change of ownership type transactions
presumably anything more detailed has to be handled by a grown-up as & when they return to their desks.

In the past members here have followed up on Bimobil & other campers offered for sale new & used in Europe and simply gone out with a pickup
then come back with a camper on the back without comment.

In UK terms a Bimobil Husky etc is no different to a Tischer, Easy Camper or any of the others in as much its a box with windows and a door & being carried in load bed of your pickup and I wouldn't go making it any more complicated than it need to be if asked

Chrisbb

August 28th, 2020, 6:20 pm

Hey Zildjian,
thanks so much for the super quick reply:-)

Those are all the type of answers I was hoping for;-)

And then I should probably just register the uprated gross weight for the Ranger?
Basically I want to make sure that I'm not gonna void my insurance...

How much of an issue is the emission class in your opinion?
Bimobil told me that they might end up having to completely stop making their Husky series if the issue doesn't change, as in Germany you can't get a 6d registered with a Bimobil box in the back - 6c is the highest emission class that allows for that.
If it counts as a demountable here in the UK and I don't have to register it as a motorcaravan here, am I right in assuming that I might as well go for a 6d vehicle?

Thanks again - Chris

zildjian
Site Admin

August 28th, 2020, 7:05 pm

That will involve DVLA most likely, you might speak to an advisor there and ask for 'case studies' Dpt they always appeared the less dopy there, failing that, there are a couple of outfits nationally who for a price will take your vehicle & logbook, liase with DVLA and raise your GVW (or whatever it's termed this week)

On the emissions I can't advise though,
I have posted this thread over on the FB page; https://www.facebook.com/groups/258654838223093/
in the hope someone else might be able to suggest something.

anyway I'll message you now

zildjian
Site Admin

August 28th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Probably not these SV Tech clowns though :)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=423&hilit=turnaround

Chrisbb

August 29th, 2020, 4:37 pm

zildjian wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 8:18 pm
Probably not these SV Tech clowns though :)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=423&hilit=turnaround
Oh god - that's an epic thread... Some good insights to be gained from it - alas, no conclusion :lol:
What do people do these days? DVLA directly?

Chrisbb

August 29th, 2020, 4:51 pm

zildjian wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 7:05 pm
That will involve DVLA most likely, you might speak to an advisor there and ask for 'case studies' Dpt they always appeared the less dopy there, failing that, there are a couple of outfits nationally who for a price will take your vehicle & logbook, liase with DVLA and raise your GVW (or whatever it's termed this week)

On the emissions I can't advise though,
I have posted this thread over on the FB page; https://www.facebook.com/groups/258654838223093/
in the hope someone else might be able to suggest something.

anyway I'll message you now
Thanks a lot for that!! I don't have Facebook unfortunately - would it be OK for you to post any feedback here?

zildjian
Site Admin

August 29th, 2020, 5:59 pm

Of course, no replies on this yet though

With campers manufactured lighter in recent years, a lot of people don't feel the need, with air assisted rear axles nearly all trucks look right on the road and draw attention (like a wiggling caravan on motorway)
so apparently don't get inspected,

if however you feel you must, then ask DVLA who they recommend to carry out re-plating, there will be other people out there happy to help.

horacebat

August 30th, 2020, 2:09 pm

Hi Chris

I'm not sure if you've seen this but here is a write up that I put together when we purchased ours:

Importing a Bimobil- our experience

It was well worth doing as demountables really hold there value. We paid circa 26k Euros (which was about £18.5k at the time), and they're still around that.

In terms of importing it, we needed to get a Certificate of Conformity from Mitsibushi Germany which they did very quickly, and you'll see the process we went through when importing.

We've now got an imported German Mitsi, and although left hand drive, is still rock solid (although needs a bit of TLC on the rust front).

Although it is a demountable I can count on one hand how many times we've taken it off. What it does give you is a great 4x4 camper that you can take anywhere without the worry of getting too stuck.

ANother out of interest, weight wise, it came in at 2,700 kilos which was much lighter than I though (and it's plated for).

Hope this helps, happy to give further advice if you want as we've lived with ours for nearly 5 years.

PB.

Chrisbb

September 5th, 2020, 8:57 pm

horacebat wrote:
August 30th, 2020, 2:09 pm
Hi Chris

I'm not sure if you've seen this but here is a write up that I put together when we purchased ours:

Importing a Bimobil- our experience
Ha - no idea how I missed that post - that's a treasure trove of useful information you shared there, thanks so much!!

How did you register the vehicle in the UK - just the truck, or the entire combo?
Because for the entire combo I assume you would have needed a CoC from Bimobil, which they don't do.

How are you dealing with being inside the LEZ - which will turn into ULEZ next year?

I'm very surprised it weighs only 2.7t - that's a lot less than what I calculate, using the numbers from Bimobil - but then I'm looking at the Ford Ranger - still suprised it should be such a difference.

In general reading through your post, the idea of buying a pickup here and getting it converted in Germany sounds like it would save a fair bit of red tape.
Somebody also told me that insurance for RHD vehicles in the UK is more expensive than for LHD ones - is that true?

Thanks again!

Chris

C-: