Total votes: 25

Darseyno1

Re: Insurance & where to get it

January 28th, 2020, 10:01 pm

I had tried Camton today but they do not insure in Northern Ireland

Vivien

March 10th, 2020, 4:07 pm

Have just renewed my Campton’s insurance for Ford Ranger Wildtrack 3.2L Auto and Tischer Trail 230s. The premium is still almost double our previous motorhome premium for the same value truck and camper, and the annual mileage has been reduced from 15,000 last year to 12,000 this renewal. Who is everyone else using, are there any better deals?

Amanda_P

April 9th, 2020, 11:32 am

I've been insuring with Safeguard for years, as they and NFU were the only insurers I was aware of that would insure demountables properly - until I joined this forum and heard of Campton's.

Besides the demountable aspect, I may be a complicated risk because I'm a self-employed wildlife biologist and filmmaker. I travel quite a bit around Europe for both these jobs, and use my van for this purpose. Insuring with Safeguard for 10,000 miles of this kind of use of my £20K rig (single-cab Hilux and Suntrekker) costs me around £500 - but this is, I believe, largely tax-deductible (my accountant deals with that!).

The important limitation with Safeguard is that the demountable isn't insured when it's demounted. This doesn't concern me too much as it's quite rare that I demount, and when I do, it's always in a low-risk place like my garden or on a client's premises.

Anyway, it's renewal time, I've got a quote from Safeguard which I'm reasonably happy with, but I thought I'd talk to Campton's before going ahead.

The gentleman on the phone (besides consistently calling me sir, although I did point out that I'm not a sir) was helpful and after taking the initial details, said that it was very unlikely they could provide insurance that covered business use, implying that in the unlikely event their underwriter would agree to it, I really wouldn't like the price.

Well, that's disappointing, but there it is, and I'm not the only one who's been told that. Another year's business for Safeguard, then.

zildjian
Site Admin

April 9th, 2020, 12:02 pm

I understand Campton are a bit sketchy over commercial/Private insurance these days though as is often the case
insurers are pretty capricious dependant on postcodes so it seems.

NFU have been known to offer cover and I reckon its down to the local agent as I've tried mine but they'd unsurprisingly never heard of Demount's, not gone off to ask someone and therefore don't cover them..

Amanda_P

April 10th, 2020, 9:44 am

I did try for a quote from NFU some years ago. There seemed to be lots of difficulties, the first of which was that it turned out I was exactly equidistant from two branches, and they couldn’t agree which one was my ‘local’ branch, so nothing happened and no-one called me back for a while.

Then when we were having the conversation, the “it’s a what?” question came up. Explanations. Baffled questions. Finally talking to someone who said ‘Oh, you mean like a demountable lorry body?’ After another lengthy delay, the quote was ridiculously high. I imagined the staff at the underwriters discussing it:

“A de-what?”

“I dunno. But the guy at the branch seemed to know what he was talking about, so it must be a thing”.

“Okay... by what’s the risk? How do we insure it?”

“No idea. It sounds unusual, though”.

“I don’t know either. Look, just name some crazy high figure and they’ll go away”.

Buylogs

July 27th, 2020, 7:05 pm

Hi Everyone

Insurance is not a simple task, here’s what I have found ( July 2020 )

Adrian Flux said they don’t insure Demountable.

Camping and Caravan Club quoted on a caravan policy £1100

NFU not insuring Demountables.

Boswell ( never called me back )

Camptons offer truck and demountable based on 6000 miles per annum in truck and a total value for both of £50k, but I do have to fit a Cat 5 tracker on the Demountable for a price of £500 ( truck on its own last year was £220 private use only.

Hope this gives you some guidance

Buylogs

zildjian
Site Admin

July 27th, 2020, 8:45 pm

We don't endorse any insurer let alone Campton but they do offer cover and know what a demountable is,
for this they should get some credit, to be fair you are looking for cover that probably doubles the value of your pickup and should expect to pay accordingly,
without going through desk for insurance to verify, I'm pretty sure that quote is in neighbourhood of what I pay annually anyway.

NFU are a pretty regional franchise from what I've heard over time, one agent won't have heard of these campers and won't bother themselves to look into it,
next county along is willing and able to offer cover, its apparently pot luck.

I'll keep your findings in mind and review/update this thread later in year thank you

willf

August 21st, 2020, 5:30 pm

We got it through NFU no problem, they know how to do it and what they are but it needs to be added to a home policy not the truck policy.

zildjian
Site Admin

August 21st, 2020, 7:05 pm

Wilf can I ask which NFU office you used please?

Black Countryman

October 4th, 2020, 9:34 pm

I insure mine seperately. The camper is insured with the Camping and Caravan Club but some people have said recently that they won't quote on demountables. It will be interesting to see what happens when the renewal comes up in a few months time.