Buying used Ranger or Nomad, print this off...

zildjian
Site Admin

Buying used Ranger or Nomad, print this off...

October 7th, 2015, 8:04 pm

When buying any used camper we always recommend taking along a damp meter these are cheaply available from Ebay and simple to use and can save you a lot of money and act as a bargaining tool.
£8.79
meter.jpg
Try everything electrical you can, ask about heating and water systems, and decide if its been lucky enough to enjoy winter storage out of the elements or has been damaged in the past

Simon at Ranger motorhomes; 07803 678 880

Heater;
seems that the older hot air heaters from 'Propex' have an issue with the air flow sensor and cut out, they have a fix which is a new circuit board replacement for £100 ish to replace the sensor.
Water heaters; the seals go and they leak.
Windows; examine for cracks,
Shower tray; with age they seem to be fragile.

Woodwork; check the plywood beneath bed & The seats underneath a large side window the seals of which are prone to leakage and this will generally show up on the plywood as staining.
Press hard around the window seals and adjacent walls with your thumbs, It should not feel soft and spongy.

Washroom; Check out the washroom area for dampness,
Main Door; seal is prone to leakage,
Roof; Check out the roof & make sure that all of the rooflights, bathroom fan, marker lights, TV antenna etc are well sealed

Legs; Happijac legs are mounted on to the camper, fixing screws become corroded to nothing, Check also for water ingress around the leg mounting areas.

Tie-down hooks; Check the integrity of the rear tie down points, these are located on the rear step supports immediately below the entrance door.

got something to add ? either post below as usual, or mail me it for inclusion in print-off Zildjian

Mike

Re: Buying Ranger or Nomad? print this off...

October 8th, 2015, 8:17 am

Nice work wish I had this when I bought! !
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

lamp-it

October 8th, 2015, 8:35 am

Mike does that mean you have things you'd mention to look out for in addition?

this list must be handy for prospective buyers
Rob

Mike

October 8th, 2015, 6:06 pm

Nope all this covers what I found (as I made the list)
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

Ranger Awning fit extra detail.....

May 4th, 2016, 6:43 am

"Thanks for info, I contacted Simon he gave me good information and I have ordered a 2.6 meter Awning,
f.y.o. there is a vertical timber stud on the centre line of the big window and another just off centre of the kitchen window, its position is marked by the vertical joining strip between the interior panels.
So I can screw right into those studs and then have one Fiamma bolt, nut and interior plate kit (with a bit of copper tubing as a spacer) half way along in a cupboard"

Hairy Hartley

Re: Buying used Ranger or Nomad, print this off...

February 28th, 2020, 12:12 am

Bought a 2000 Ranger last year (2019) mounted on a NP300 Nissan Navara.

Extra observations:

Tested dry when we checked it but in first heavy rain leaked around all window frames, found not installed in accordance with fitting instructions, no mastic used and rubber seals perished.

Mastic around toilet hatch failed (leaking).

Older manual jacks on last legs, plain metal bearings and bevel gears worn badly. Having new jacks made by PAR Communications of Nottingham, with extra lift due to need to mount above Navara roof rails. Get vendor to lift up to mounting height and listen for grinding noises! 4 new jacks same price as one HappyJack from Germany.

Stove burners rust on underside if used as drainer, check if flames are even, if not they come off easily to clean rust off underside.

We also over sealed all the external joints with Sikaflex, having previously removed all the strips from a caravan and renewed the seals I was not about to do that again! If you find a dry one over sealing is really a must, we looked at 5 Rangers before we found a dry one.

heisenberg3390

May 11th, 2020, 11:29 am

Wow that's looking really awesome mate
BeingNomadic

Mark Sharpe

September 13th, 2022, 9:01 pm

I would like to clarify that the topic is for the Ranger demountable camper built by Ranger motorhomes which was sold for a short time through Nomadcamper.
Nothing to do with Nomadcamper’s own brand demountable camper .

zildjian
Site Admin

September 14th, 2022, 12:29 pm

Thanks for clearing that up