Jacking up truck & demountable

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Puig

Jacking up truck & demountable

July 1st, 2019, 5:19 pm

Would anyone out there know if the jack supplied with the ford ranger is good for lifting truck & demountable? If not, any suggestions as to the kind of jack I should buy.
Thanks , Puig owner of Ranger Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Jacking up truck & demountable

July 1st, 2019, 5:50 pm

Unusual question :)
Don't remember anybody ever having to swap a flat tyre, I know Grant had a puncture somewhere but think he dropped camper off at roadside long enough to get spare wheel off underside of truck,
can you access yours with ranger on back you normally have a long winding handle passes through rear panel near number plate and camper might obscure that

Puig

July 2nd, 2019, 7:41 am

Thanks for your reply. We can access the spare wheel winding point with the camper on. But not keen on dropping the unit off on the side of the motorway - if we were to have a puncture there!! And not really keen on (if we have to) jacking it up on the motorway. I've asked my garage that services the truck & they said they would be surprised if the jack was "up to the job".
So just wondered if anybody had ever bought a different jack & what size. We have had our Ranger demountable for 10 years now & never had a puncture, so maybe I'm tempting fate!!
Puig.

TheWalshyWay

July 2nd, 2019, 8:30 am

Personally I carry a very small "trolley jack" rated to 2ton. Bought in Aldi a number of years ago, pretty cheap.
The trick is where you place it, it needs to be directly under the axle just behind the wheel, that way you don't get the suspension sagging.
Makes for tricky jacking as the amount of space is limited with a flat tire but doable, I keep the spare ready to place under the body as I'm jacking up in the event of slippage, then swap wheels until the nuts are tightened.
Always remember to tighten fully when the vehicle is on the ground and check again after a while .

B.

earthman

July 10th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Good question, I'm not familiar with the Ford jack in question but I would hope that it were designed to take say an extra 250kg at least. Depending on what camper you have etc, if you are only lifting one wheel/corner, that could be the amount of weight we are talking about realistically.

zildjian
Site Admin

July 16th, 2019, 8:00 am

someone told me this week they managed to swap a wheel (rear) while out delivering a diesel truck engine and got a puncture!
fitter reckoned the motor was only just under a ton when they loaded it plus bits loose in load bed

Silversprinter

July 18th, 2019, 8:43 am

if it helps the little bottle jack came with mine is stated on side as 2T max lifting weight and that sounds easily enough to lift the one wheel and load off the ground

wonkywheel

July 18th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Hi, I would have thought the Ranger Jack would be up to the job. I can't see Ford's supplying a jack that will not lift the truck when loaded with a ton in the back. After all, you are talking about one corner. I use a high lift farm type jack at the minute to load my camper on and off. You could only use that on the back wheels as the jack won't reach any of the jacking points but it would lift both rear wheels lifting on the towing bracket. Interestingly when the camper is on, weighbridge data shows the front end of the truck is 40 Kg lighter than when empty.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4