travelling with dog in the camper

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
kernowjon

travelling with dog in the camper

April 2nd, 2019, 8:23 pm

In the new unit we have bought there is no window cab to camper. Will our dog be OK in the back by himself? I think he'll be fine, afterall he has already clocked up thousands of miles back there. However the other half - she would say "better half" is a bit apprehensive.
I did suggest she travels in the camper and the dog can be belted in the passenger seat - the boss is not amused! How do other people carry their dogs in single cab rigs?
Jon

Amanda_P

Re: travelling with dog in the camper

April 3rd, 2019, 10:39 am

I don’t have a partner, so Mr Bailey rides in the passenger seat. On those occasions when I do have a passenger, he rides in the back - reluctantly. But he’s fine back there. There’s plenty of comfy seating to sprawl on, he can see out easily... he probably puts the radio on when he thinks no-one’s looking.

My last dog liked to look through the bulkhead window into the cab from time to time to check I was still there, but Mr Bailey (the present dog) doesn’t ever seem to have thought of that. But he seems happy.

When I did have a partner, the arrangement was that the dog rode in the back with the humans up front (unless he was particularly dirty, and then he’d have to sit between the passengers knees until he’d dried off or been cleaned up). We’d spend our evening together, and when it was time to go to bed, it was humans in the back and dog tucked up in a cosy cave on the passenger seat. My Suntrekker doesn’t really have room for two humans and a dog stretched out on the bed, and the space under the bed can get a bit cold at night.

If you worry about your dog when you can’t see him, perhaps you could fit up a dash cam or reversing camera in the camper so you can see what he’s up to back there that way? Perhaps just temporarily: once you’re reassured he’s not up to anything when he thinks you can’t see him, the camera could be returned to its normal duties.
Last edited by Amanda_P on April 3rd, 2019, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kernowjon

April 3rd, 2019, 7:32 pm

Amanda P, Thank you for your comprehensive reply. We have just bought what looks like a Suntrekker which is different to all the others.
Looking at the photos the window through to the cab seems to have disappeared - not surprising as one side window is not there and the forward facing Luton window appears to have been blanked off. All of which is not so crazy as it first seems - the seating is changed - Luton bed is there - kitchen galley has moved forward along the side with no window and there is a shower area.
I will know more when I collect it on Friday.
BTW Small is going away 2 of us plus hound (Saluki Greyhound ✖) in a small Romahome demountable - we spent a month up in Scotland last year - surprised everyone who knew us that we were a. still together and b. we had not killed each other in that time ;)
Sandra my partner wants a reversing camera in the back so she can see the hound - personally I think he will be fine whatever!
Jon

zildjian
Site Admin

April 3rd, 2019, 8:20 pm

Window on front by bed was historically where Suntrekker's allowed water in (perished rubber seal) so not unlikely it's presently missing
has the window aperture been fibreglassed over or can you refit another window?

Camera is a good idea, I have one plugs into 12V outlet in camper that I can see when fridge flies open and throws milk everywhere, but would work just as well pet-cam :)

kernowjon

April 4th, 2019, 12:53 am

zildjian wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 8:20 pm
Window on front by bed was historically where Suntrekker's allowed water in (perished rubber seal) so not unlikely it's presently missing
has the window aperture been fibreglassed over or can you refit another window?

Camera is a good idea, I have one plugs into 12V outlet in camper that I can see when fridge flies open and throws milk everywhere, but would work just as well pet-cam :)
From the photos it would appear the front window in the Luton has been permanently sealed. If you look at the photo post 25393 on the demountables for sale board. It appears a plate has been bolted in place - probably a candidate for fibreglassing - I will assess it. Then the nearside looks as though it was custom made with no window - resulting in a different internal layout - there is a window on the offside.

Jon

Silversprinter

April 7th, 2019, 9:08 am

Amanda's solution with giving dog use of car is generous but i think how we would do it too :)
as far as travelling goes though allowing it to ride in camper sounds alright, can leave a skylight open or window ajar for fresh air can't see RSPCA being overly worried surely

Amanda_P

April 10th, 2019, 6:54 pm

I've had my Suntrekker for over twenty years, and used it a lot, with three different dogs now. None of them have ever complained.

Even on quite warm days, the Suntrekker tends to stay relatively cool inside- the shiny white body reflects most of the solar radiation, and with two large skylights, there's plenty of passive ventilation. The skylights fitted on mine can be left open while driving, which makes it positively draughty in there.

That's not to say I'd leave a dog inside for any length of time on a hot day, of course not. But on most days, at least in British weather, I'd be happy to be left inside and my dogs have been too. I've also travelled in the back and found it surprisingly quiet and comfortable. I don't think a dog has any cause for complaint - except of course when he wants to be with me (and who wouldn't??!)