Buying a used Suntrekker, print this off...

zildjian
Site Admin

Buying a used Suntrekker, print this off...

October 9th, 2015, 10:45 am

When buying any used camper we always recommend taking along a damp meter these are cheaply available from Ebay and simple to use and can save you a lot of money and act as a bargaining tool.
£8.79
meter.jpg

Try everything electrical you can, ask about heating and water systems, and decide if its been lucky enough to enjoy winter storage out of the elements or has been damaged in the past.

buyers guide for Suntrekkers these notes may be useful though they are only applicable to the Island Plastics built fibreglass models. The earlier timber frame models built by Walkers will have a whole other set of issues I'm sure.

Bodywork;
Being all GRP they are generally immune to the rot that water ingress can cause but the fixed windows in the front of the overcab, sometimes full width, sometimes half width, are prone to leak when old. No damage will be caused other than staining on the internal trim and it's fairly easily fixed either by sealant or, if necessary, replacing the rubber moulding and infill surrounding the window (both available from ;Seals Direct

Potentially more serious and more difficult to spot without taking things apart is rot in the door's timber sub-frame. The only visible frame is aluminium but, underneath that, at the top and bottom of the door but curiously not all the way down the side is timber - in fact it's plywood sandwiched between the inner and outer GRP skins. Suntrekkers, uniquely I think, have only three jacking legs one of which, at the back, is to the right of the door and so is significantly off-centre. Over time raising and lowering the camper causes twisting and flexing in the body which can break the seal between the ali door frame and the GRP, and between the sides and bottom of the ali frame, allowing water to get in and, inevitably, leading to rot in the sub-frame. It can be fixed but it does mean pulling the door and frame apart and starting again. (Clive Walker - phoenixsp1 - has recently done this on his Suntrekker).

Inside fitments;
Internally there is not much equipment fitted as standard and so not much to go wrong. Water system (cold only) consists of a submersible pump feeding a tap with microswitch - both easily and cheaply replaced if faulty. There was no space heating fitted as standard so, if there is a heater (I fitted a Propex into ours), it'll be a retrofit and needs to be checked that it's been done properly and safely.
The fridge;
if original, will be 2-way only, i.e. gas and 12-volt, and though they were sometimes difficult to light when on gas they were generally efficient and problem free. I think I had to replace the thermocouple once on ours but that's all. Spares and even replacement fridges are still available. Gas supply, however, is very limited - there is locker space for single Campinggaz 907 bottle.

The only other thing worth checking is that, if there are any additions or modifications internally, that they've been done appropriately. Being all GRP, including lockers, doors, etc., screws obviously don't hold and so any fittings need to have been riveted, bolted or fixed with cavity fixings if they're going to stay put.

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Buying a used Suntrekker, print this off...

June 26th, 2017, 9:40 am

Floor; are inside doorway can become a bit flexible over time, again its repairable usually with additional steel straps bonded or fixed to existing fibreglass underside

Electrics;
fuses were the ceramic design and while still available (sort of) its often the case the whole fuse board is replaced with a smaller modern one, benefits include fitting tell-tale blade fuses which actually light up to indicate they have blown!

Gas bottles;
Suntrekkers were designed and built years ago when the norm for gas bottles was small and blue, modern 4 & 6KG propane won't fit in the gas locker to right of entry door

zildjian
Site Admin

January 27th, 2019, 11:30 am

Skylights known to leak also so check for both discolouration & water damage on ceiling,
access door on rear can have damage to clear panel though we are looking for someone can supply a replacement

Amanda_P

February 16th, 2019, 3:32 pm

It’s time to replace all the window seals on mine - they’re perishing, making grey streaks beneath all the windows, and leaking.

The mention of Seals Direct is very useful - does anyone happen to know which of the many seals available fits the Suntrekker?

While I’m here, one of my side windows has a crack in it. Last time I needed a replacement, my vehicle’s windscreen insurance covered it, and just as well - a custom replacement from Eeco was startlingly expensive (and not great quality or fit, grrr). I’m considering replacing the side windows altogether. Anyone got any suggestions for sourcing replacements, please? Economy is a factor - it’s astonishing how much these things can cost!

kernowjon

February 24th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Amanda
Seals Direct are very helpful - if you ease out part of one of one of the seals - about 3 or 4 inches - and cut that off you should be able to get the measurements. I did my (smaller) Romahome demountable seals last year (the construction is very similar) - if all else fails you can send them the piece along with your contact details and they will get back to you with the size (telephone them first). I would advise you also buy from them, the tool for putting in the locking strip. I also used quite copious amounts of spray silicone oil or better still silicone grease to get everything back in.
Jon

kernowjon

October 11th, 2021, 7:49 pm

Hi bit belated @Amanda_P re replacement windows. The original side window in ours was getting old - curtains needed replaced etc. (as I have said before our one-off unit only had a right hand window when we got it - I had already fitted a small Seitz copy Shield window in the LH side)

So I bit the financial bullet and bought a 1000mm x 450mm Seitz S4 window from Grasshopper Leisure - not cheap but during lockdown we blew the away budget on upgrading.
https://www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/do ... -106-c.asp

Here is a picture - it still needs a little finishing but I think it looks good and we do find the blinds solve a lot of problems. Total upgrades in addition to windows are new kitchen (sink 2 burner hob), MaxAir Heiki type rooflight, and we made a boob a new Propex HS2000 blown gas heater

Jon
Attachments
20201002_5  red.jpg

zildjian
Site Admin

October 11th, 2021, 7:56 pm

Was it complicated to fit?
couple of years back I fitted a sunroof and found that really straightforward

(apart from the initial trepidation of cutting hole in perfectly good roof) :)

kernowjon

October 12th, 2021, 4:49 pm

zildjian wrote:
October 11th, 2021, 7:56 pm
Was it complicated to fit?
couple of years back I fitted a sunroof and found that really straightforward

(apart from the initial trepidation of cutting hole in perfectly good roof) :)
You know the old saying "Fools rush in where Angels .....etc"

Well I rushed in (I have already converted old type roof lights to Mini-Heiki) so like you, I have had some experience.

All I had to do ws use the bottom and front edge of the apperture as the reference points - if I recall correctly the apperture needed opening heightways by about 5mm and a shave on the length.
The first step was to remove the curved ends - the radius is too big.
Once the apperture is right it is as simple as fitting a rooflight.

If I had been working in a barn I could have made good the GRP over the window - in my case as I am working on a sloping driveway (SPLATT in Cornish) it remains on the to do list - next week maybe! "Dreckly" in Cornish. If you want to understand "Dreckly" think Mananna in Spain :D

two handed it is simple to fit - coat the inside of the outer frame in a lot of sealant (never skimp) - helper pushes and holds outer window in place - expert (moi or you) Places inner in place and begins to tighten the screws.
Work diagonally from centre ut to avoid warping!
(At some point the helper will wail "I am bored, or Do you really need me?" - you may at this point think of other uses for sealant (only joking ;) -

But yes it is very simple YOU JUST HAVE TO BE BOLD AND MAKE THE FIRST CUT!!!

Jon