Difference in mounting

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Kneller

Difference in mounting

October 12th, 2018, 1:53 pm

There are two choices for securing a demountable. The first, a unit that slides into the load area of a truck or secondly modifying a truck into a flatbed and having an attachment mechanism ( Bimobil like). The available volume in the van on a flat bed has to be greater but roughly how much by 20% and is it really worth the additional cost??. Has anyone had experience of converting a truck to a flat bed what type of certification would I require in the UK.

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Difference in mounting

October 12th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Likely to become batted back & forth between VOSA & DVLA with that
so probably best avoided.
If you need a Bimobil combo then best policy would buy one used off German market, there are plenty of them come up for sale and advertised here
together with the more usual truck campers you'll see pictured here

RobYorkshire

October 17th, 2018, 11:00 am

I have a flatbed on mine along with dropsides. The pickup was like this when I purchased it however there are a number of companies out there who will supply the full kit (flatbed, dropsides, lights and wiring etc) for around £1500. Budget another few hundred for fitting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIUM-DR ... rk:13:pf:0

The main advantage for me is the ease of access to the space along each side of the camper which I use to store additional water bottles, the diesel tank for the Eberspacher heater, ladders and so on. It also makes life easier when the camper is off and I'm loading the truck with other things - you're not having to lift things up and over the tub sides. I suppose the only downside is it makes the pickup look a bit like a work truck but this doesn't bother me as it isn't my daily driver.

Ford Ranger 2.5TD Super Cab 4x4 & Suntrekker Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

October 17th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Those look pretty robust actually don't they Rob,

I knew someone did them (I've seen them) but didn't know who

Kneller

October 25th, 2018, 8:23 pm

I've been been on trying to get a Bimobil like arrangement (but not at their cost) as I see there is quite a bit of volume lost in the other method which you can see by the van shape. To avoid approvals etc I guess you need to secure it to the flatbed in a recognised and safe way. Referring to the Bimobil they have a groove and key location mechanism for their units. This seems to be absent with other demountables so is this really necessary? Do you also beef up the rear suspension?