SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
wonkywheel

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

October 6th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Yes, it is almost watertight. 1 or 2 leaks here and there but that's due to the edging angle only being screwed on and not sealed.

Work on the inside is indeed possible but a little cramped to cut box section, Celotex, or PVC sheets.
I have rough fitted the mains inlet and consumer unit so with the hook up from the shed I am able to have all the comforts of home in there. (Greenhouse heater, radio, and even a lead light should it get dark)
When the weather is suitable I try to cut and prepare bits ready to fit inside. I have used all my Celotex insulation sheets (3 so far) and I think I need another 2 to finish insulating. Some PVC 8x4 sheets were collected out of sequence really only to justify the trip to collect the 2 burner sink combo.
I have started cutting that ready to put in and intend to line out the cab over bed (ceiling already almost in place with props) Again out of sequence as although the bedroom is all fitted with Celotex I need a roll of foil faced insulation to go over the Celotex and the aluminium box framework to try to minimize the cold bridge effect. None of this will be finalized until I have run the wiring for the front running lights. Internal lighting wire can go in trunking or inside shelving.

I have wired the 4 function led rear lights up but need a fog light so I will probably fit my old bulbed trailer lights, as well as they, have a fog light but no reversing lights. I don't think the fact that there is an integral triangular reflector will be a problem as at least the units are "E" marked, unlike the led's.

I have also attempted to put a couple of eye bolts into the truck bed but was confounded by the thread being too short so I have ordered some eye nuts and studding. It will make it easier to fit as well because I can cut the stud into 4 250mm lengths and slide it through.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

wonkywheel

October 9th, 2018, 7:12 am

So many part finished lobs :roll:
Thats one of the problems about getting older :( . Butterfly brain. I tend to go from one job to another without actually finishing. Its not entirely bad because with a home build the plans are IN your head and you need an appreciation that it actually going to work :!:

So with a bit of finishing in mind, I started to seal up the seams to correct any leaking area's. First was the roof nose top corner. I took the edging off and applied 3 beads of Sikaflex 512 and re-screwed it back on. Although I don't think it will ever come off I do intend to replace all the nickel coated screws with either stainless ones or aluminium pop rivets. I have noted they tend to dull and corrode over time.

The next job was to fix the roof vent in. Up until now, it had only laid in the hole.
Image I applied some of the mastic to the base of the vent
Image Trimmed of the excess ( I had 30mm wide strip an shopuld have purchased 19mm but it was a stock item) ;)

Image It cuts well with a stanley and peels off neatly

Image The vent diagonally through the hole and the inner section screwed to it compressing the mastic strips

Image The fan unit only slips into the frame with clips and then tightened with screws before the pretty bit with the screen goes on. That will wait until the insulation is finished, a ceiling panel put in place, and the wiring sorted :?
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

October 10th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Out of interest what will actually be on the roof when finished,
Mine for example has; Three skylights, satellite dish, couple of PV panels & one especially pointless luggage rack that pools water with its Winter cover thrown over camper

wonkywheel

October 10th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Well, Zildjian,
I aim to have 3 roof vents, 2 off 400mm square. i over the table with the fan. The other one above the chef (plain opening) Then a smaller 280mm square in the toilet/shower closet. I intend to fit my solar panel on the cab over bed roof. Its too small really (40watt) but it will do until I source a larger one.
I need to put some sort of roof rack on as well to carry an eight-foot mini mal foam surfboard. I still have a yen to master it (I think I might start drinking Actimel, it seems to work in the television adverts 8-) ) I think that will have to go on the left side of the roof unless its high enough to go over the closed roof vents. I haven't designed or built the roof to stand a great deal of weight although the area at the back is strongest due to the vertical spars inside for the toilet and wardrobe door frames. I intend to fit a television at some stage but I will be trying a little gimmicky flat terrestrial aerial :roll:

I read an article about this "NEW" aerial which said all satellite transmissions have to have an equivalent terrestrial signal. To comply and not compromise their paying customers the signal is transmitted at low power. This aerial is supposed to pick up the signals if you are within 70 odd miles :?: of the transmitter. At £30 I thought it was worth a go :shock:
When I tried it stuck to a bedroom window...............nothing. I thought oh well, you get what you pay for. Just to satisfy my curiosity I took the same bedroom TV up to the camper, stuck the aerial on the camper with it facing the same direction as all the rooftop aerials. To my surprise, I picked up 79 channels. A mixture of TV and radio. BBC east, QVC shopping channel etc. :lol:

Definitely worth a go when I get out and about

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

October 12th, 2018, 8:37 pm

EVERY TIME

On Thursday I decided to lift thr camper up to a height the Ranger bed would fit under. As soon as I had done it. "there she blows" the wind gets up making my small castered trolley look even more unsuitable :o I knew :roll: I should have extended it before I used it.

The wind looks like getting even stronger over the next few days and even though the camper is getting heavier as I add more internal spars and panels its still light enough for the wind to blow it about. As it was when I was working on the bedroom wall and ceiling panels I put a support under the nose. I had visions of the whole thing going down to take a peck out of the ground with me sitting in the beak :lol: The wind was able to rock it all and move the trolley towards my next door neighbors fence, again. :shock:

I have taken your advice and removed the tailgate from the Ranger. It's like driving my daughter's Smart car when you can't see where the back is :roll: I put tape to indicate the centerline with more marker tapes for the side position. I could only get about 150mm in the tub before I reached the support trolley but it was enough to satisfy me that it will go in 8-)

The wind was becoming a problem so I had to try to chock the casters with pieces of aluminum angle( with limited success) Then go about fitting some emergency legs. It was back to plan one because I knew the leg design was strong enough to support the whole weight as long as they stayed fixed to the camper. Although I intended to weld the large box section to the fixing bracket there was not enough time to mess about so 3 M6 cap head screws had to do for the time being. The full length of the inner box dropped through. One of the screws was left Too long so that it acted as a pinch bolt in the inner. Then a "G" clamp for safety. :)
Let it blow :lol: :lol: :lol:
But I will be choked if it blows off the concrete blocks at the back :shock: :roll:

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

October 12th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Certainly picked your week to do this Mark!

Somebody had a camper on its side (SKarosser) in high winds in Scotland a few years back but that might well have been 'proper' weather, not like the pretend wind we Southerners worry over
so you'll likely be fine :)

We ought to weigh it presently, take some pictures of what it comprises at that point and you can weigh the remaining components as you install them to get a total

wonkywheel

October 15th, 2018, 7:14 pm

Did a bit in the rain to satisfy my curiosity :roll:
Drilled a ✖ hole in each leg and put a metal tent peg through to act as a positive stop. Farm jack under and lifted the left corner first, then same again for the right side. Took the trolley out then backed the truck under????? carefully. I think I got out about a dozen times to check things were going according to plan :geek: and they were :lol:
After I did the same at the rear( taking a brick out of the stack) The camper FINALLY sat in the tub of the Ranger 8-)

It fits :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Talk about relief.
It's not quite how I had envisaged it though :? The windows for the fixings at the rear are a little further back than I expected. It is possibly because I have taken the tailgate off, which I hadn't intended to do originally. Also because I left space for the tailgate to sit in I have missed out on a large storage area all be it unsuitable for heavy loads hanging out the back as it does. That area is too good not to use so there will be modification at some stage. I had calculated the cab over bed to fit over the roof bars and it does, almost. The front one misses by about 8mm but it looks as if the rear roof bar has the nose resting on it. As far as I could tell the base of the camper is in contact with the bed liner but which is taking the most load :?: :!: :roll:
Further investigation when its dry and I am over my initial euphoria :D :D :D :D

I still have to get it off so I can use the truck :roll:

Camper aedificavit domum

mjb666

October 15th, 2018, 7:42 pm

Hi Mark

I had to log in just to say, well done Mate, what a relief for you. It's on. Brillant job Sir. All the little/after thought ideas can now be sorted. Surely that's now the project past the half way point?

Mike
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

October 15th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Mike and I had planned to smash a bottle of white lightning on front when it gets finished :)

mjb666

October 15th, 2018, 9:07 pm

" I'm telling you Mark, Zildjian said you've fitted that window wrong Mate! "

White Lightning cider - Just make's discussing things easier!!!

Note - Just for Fun.
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable