My Ranger & Suntrekker - Intro / Updates

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
derestrictor

Re: My Ranger & Suntrekker - Intro / Updates

August 17th, 2018, 1:40 pm

Good combination there Rob, like those Suntrekkers and always thought the'd be a good base to start from

TheWalshyWay

August 21st, 2018, 7:52 am

Hi Rob,

,( "That's another thing - my Ranger is only 110 bhp so I think I'd definitely feel a heavier camper")

I'm currently thinking of getting my Isuzu 'remapped' to up the Torque, I've spoken to a couple of good knowledgeable lads and they say the manafacturer always leave some leeway with the specs, so might just do it !

B.

zildjian
Site Admin

August 21st, 2018, 7:34 pm

Would be interesting to people here how that works out as those Isuzu often get mentioned as 'possible next buy'

TheWalshyWay

August 22nd, 2018, 9:09 am

Hi Zildjian, yep, I spoke to my Mechanic ( rural area deals with a lot of farmers so very reliable and knowledgeable and what he said was there is extra tolerances built into the vehicle specs, however 'maxing them out' isn't a good idea as the clutch and gearbox could be strained !) I recently had a taster of the "Alps" driving up 'Porlock Hill' in N.Devon (?) and was a breeze ! However there was a camper in front of me struggling so I pulled off to the side and waited about 5 mins before taking off again and still caught up with it still struggling !
Anyways must go *project awaits*

B.

RobYorkshire

October 2nd, 2018, 12:06 pm

Well I'm back from my Ireland trip, a month and 2300 miles round the Wild Atlantic Way, and Causeway Coastal Route.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, despite a few unnerving windy nights and Storm Helen claiming a skylight!

We wild camped for 28 of the 30 nights, with 1 night in a hotel (think I must hold the record for baths and showers taken in a 24 hour period!), and 1 night on a campsite.

I'd thoroughly recommend it if anyone is thinking about it. I'd say a month is the perfect amount of time needed. We were moving everyday but weren't rushing and managed to see the majority of the 120 discovery points.

MPG worked out at 20.9 for the trip. We did struggle with the lack of wetroom when the weather was wet for days on end and we had wet clothes, so this is leading me to think about what I could replace my current combination with. Perhaps a new topic is needed on that.

All of my pictures are on my Instagram feed @2feet4wheels - https://www.instagram.com/2feet4wheels/ but here's a few.

Ford Ranger 2.5TD Super Cab 4x4 & Suntrekker Demountable

derestrictor

October 2nd, 2018, 12:35 pm

Looks a nice trip Rob that coastline does indeed look wild almost ragged on the map
good pictures too than

RobYorkshire

October 2nd, 2018, 12:56 pm

Thanks. I've spent a fair amount of time up in the Scottish Highlands and the landscapes were very similar, however Ireland seemed a lot more "untouched" by tourists. I'm not sure if this is because we went in September, but we'd often have the roads to ourselves. Ireland felt a lot more chilled out and friendly too.

Oh, and we didn't spot one other demountable in the 2300 miles!

wonkywheel

October 2nd, 2018, 12:58 pm

Looks like a super trip. Great pictures. Well done. Anything planned for the future?

Mark
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

RobYorkshire

October 2nd, 2018, 1:25 pm

Cheers Mark. We loved it. Lots of trips planned for the future but I'm wondering if the truck and camper is the right combination for long term travel. I'll be heading up to Scotland this winter though for a few days, I've always been in early autumn up to now. I fancy putting the 4 wheel drive and Eberspacher through their paces :D

RobYorkshire

September 26th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Well the Suntrekker and Ranger has moved on to a new home up in Scotland. I sold it to a lovely couple who are planning an epic 9 month trip to Mongolia with it.

I've replaced it with a Northstar 750DL and another Ranger supercab although at the minute I'm not convinced I've done the right thing! Had a 100 mile trip back with it and the Ranger (MK2 2.5TD) really feels the additional weight of the Northstar, and that was with it empty! I might need to look for a MK4 with a bit more power. Whatever I go for, there's going to be an expensive upgrade of the suspension needed too. Will setup a new thread when I get a minute.