Hello!

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
Gordmac

Hello!

September 6th, 2018, 11:28 pm

I am considering an upgrade from my basic VW T4 camper, something I can be away for a week or so wild camping on my own. Not sure whether a motorhome or demountable is best option as I need to carry stuff occasionally. Being rather ignorant of these things any advice welcomed.
Anyone anywhere near Lochaber that would let me have a look at a demountable? Ones for sale are 800+ mile round trip away!

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Hello!

September 7th, 2018, 6:09 am

Good morning & welcome,
we have a lot of members made the same move for much the same reasons too,
I'll look up on the map where you are and see if I can find someone in your area with a camper you might visit

In terms of purchase the UK market is quite small so as you narrow your search to what you'll need you might look at the French/German market for more choice

Gordmac

September 7th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Thanks

derestrictor

September 7th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Hi from Nottinghamshire too! :)

Gordmac

September 8th, 2018, 5:28 pm

There does seem a lot more abroad than in the UK, anyone know why? Not really feasable to travel that far though.
How feasible is it to tow something with a demountable attached? Looks a bit tricky to get underneath to connect/disconnect a trailer.
Quite difficult to figure out the differences between types, they all seem to have similar layouts. Are they all much the same in terms of quality, insulation etc?
What I am looking for is something to stay in on my own for maybe a week or two in reasonable comfort with minimal use of campsites. I would want to be able to do this all year round so good insulation and heating is needed, I take it the nature of the beast is that tanks are inside? At my age a toilet is a must! I am quite big so it needs to be reasonably sized.
Overall length must be less than 6m for ferry fare reasons. Presumably this would exclude 4 door pickups but would the 2+2 layouts be ok as the space behind the seats would be useful.
Why are there so few for sale without the pickup? Is it normal to get the vehicle first?
What sort of modifications are needed to mount it? Are the modifications the same for all demountables? If not how do you fit it when you turn up with a vehicle?
Sorry, quite a few questions but all help/advice gratefully received!

zildjian
Site Admin

September 8th, 2018, 6:40 pm

There does seem a lot more abroad than in the UK, anyone know why? Not really feasible to travel that far though.

UK market not established enough to date, and the trickle of used units hasn't boosted the market here

How feasible is it to tow something with a demountable attached? Looks a bit tricky to get underneath to connect/disconnect a trailer.
Depending on both carrier you choose being single/king or double cab and its related camper length, its quite feasible and indeed some of our members tow, boats, trailers equipment and cars see here for pictures https://www.pinterest.co.uk/RichardZild ... e-campers/

Quite difficult to figure out the differences between types, they all seem to have similar layouts. Are they all much the same in terms of quality, insulation etc?
Internally most are very similar in layout later models often have side access as opposed rear doors, quality is you get what you pay for, best insulated and built would likely be Bimobil, SKarosser, Tischer, Lely (Dutch camper) UK built campers come up on Ebay and are snapped up their new owners inheriting a whole raft of issues with damp (see our buyers guides please)
viewforum.php?f=40 all the right questions to ask a seller are here

What I am looking for is something to stay in on my own for maybe a week or two in reasonable comfort with minimal use of campsites.
I would want to be able to do this all year round so good insulation and heating is needed, I take it the nature of the beast is that tanks are inside? At my age a toilet is a must! I am quite big so it needs to be reasonably sized.
extended tour IS possible yes, but most only carry enough fresh water for a couple of days, most of us pop into campsites to boost both water & battery levels, that said a couple on here spent Winter in Lapland hooked up at their employers place!

Overall length must be less than 6m for ferry fare reasons. Presumably this would exclude 4 door pickups but would the 2+2 layouts be ok as the space behind the seats would be useful.
yes you've got that about right too, king cab is regarded as best of both worlds in terms of length of camper and its floorspace, plus weight distribution

Why are there so few for sale without the pickup? Is it normal to get the vehicle first?
Larger European market where typically they were sold often on Mitsubishi in recent years, more likely to see camper-only sale here in UK
What sort of modifications are needed to mount it? Are the modifications the same for all demountables? If not how do you fit it when you turn up with a vehicle?
Usual questions all answered here; viewtopic.php?f=32&t=249 so fine,
almost everyone has air bags on back axle assisting leaf springs, you could (like me) collect a camper without them, but you'll wish you'd fitted them first, it improves the ride immensely, further to this you'll need an eyebolt in each corner of load bed, actual position is not critical, but typically leaving around a metre of width between them for camper to slide in

Gordmac

September 8th, 2018, 8:42 pm

Very helpful thanks.

zildjian
Site Admin

September 9th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Easy guide on matching camper to truck
Steve Blackman

Ogden scamper

September 10th, 2018, 8:13 pm

And hello from another newish member here too :lol:

hope you are getting a feel for these now, reading your posts reminded me of some of the questions we have too

mjb666

September 10th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Hi again to both of you
Hopefully it's all starting to make a bit more sense now that you have both started asking questions and getting some answers.
Did you see that we've actually found a mobile air suspension fitting service, on a different thread, very useful if you are not very DIY inclined, that's me!

Mike
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable