Newbie in Devon

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
John

Newbie in Devon

June 15th, 2018, 7:34 am

Morning all,
Thanks for the add, I have a Isuzu Dmax extra cab and am looking for a demount.
I need to be able to tow a small motorbike trailer and have a shower if possible.
The little bit of knowledge I've got points me towards Skarosser ideally second hand.
Would I be better looking further afield in the EU?
I have found a company in Dorset, SB, though at present have been unable to contact them.
Are there any other suppliers?
I've hand a look through the site and found it a good source of info, going to have a read of the self builds now.
Thanks again.
John

Mike

Re: Newbie in Devon

June 15th, 2018, 9:39 am

Hi John, welcome to the group. SBS adventures are certainly a supplier of demountable along with {censored promotion}, Golum. Who is going to the meet up next weekend in Pembrokeshire, why not come along and see all the variants and have a chat. I'm in Somerset near Yeovil, so if you were ever passing and wanted to look over one happy to offer that. Good luck
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

June 15th, 2018, 9:42 am

Hello John and welcome,
Yes your SKarosser idea is on right track along with buying in Europe (for best used unit selection)

Gary & Morag at SBS portland now offer a useful selection of imported campers that would straightaway suit your towing needs too
So persevere as I don't think Gary is away presently

Ogden scamper

June 15th, 2018, 11:10 am

Morning, another question from newbie:

We have a double cab pickup (navara) and it would be useful possibly to tow a trailer behind camper, is the overhang we have noticed on campers here. A problem or is towing really best for king-cab type trucks?

Gary W

June 15th, 2018, 11:36 am

John wrote:Morning all,
Thanks for the add, I have a Isuzu Dmax extra cab and am looking for a demount.
I need to be able to tow a small motorbike trailer and have a shower if possible.
The little bit of knowledge I've got points me towards Skarosser ideally second hand.
Would I be better looking further afield in the EU?
I have found a company in Dorset, SB, though at present have been unable to contact them.
Are there any other suppliers?
I've hand a look through the site and found it a good source of info, going to have a read of the self builds now.
Thanks again.
John
I'm sorry to hear you've struggled to contact me John. I publish my email address, my desk number, my mobile number, my SMS number and my iMessage number so generally speaking it should be a doddle. Most people just leave a message on the answerphone and because I am not chained to my desk and spend a lot of time travelling the office answerphone emails your message to me wherever I happen to be, but you can also send me a message by any of the other methods if you prefer and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I confess that attempts to contact me via facebook are largely pointless though; I hate so called 'social media' and have as little to do with it as possible.

I look forward to hearing from you :-)

Gary

SBS Adventure Campers

Mobile: +44 (0) 7595 368 422
Desk: +44 (0) 1305 305 900

Web: sbsadventurecampers.com
Web: djangocampers.eu

derestrictor

June 15th, 2018, 12:04 pm

s-l1600.jpg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Demountable- ... SwQolbD8zP

This one on E-bay would be ideal for your towing motorbikes as well

Gary W

June 15th, 2018, 12:47 pm

I know a bit about towing motorcycles with a demountable as this is how I spend at least some of my weekends :D

As I'm getting old I race old bikes now, this one is my 1974 250cc Ossa 'Phantom'

SBS Adventure Campers

John

June 15th, 2018, 8:04 pm

Thanks for all the replies and offers Mike.
I am watching the Skarosser on ebay but without knowledge I would be reluctant to view/buy.
Gary, I only made a half hearted attempt at contacting you via email, some of the links I came across
were old and I didn't know if they were still active, as you are relatively close to me I will arrange to come over for a visit, chat.
I tow a trailer all over the UK to FS1e meets reliving my youth!

How do you attach the demout to the bed?

Thanks again
John

zildjian
Site Admin

June 15th, 2018, 8:33 pm

We were in Devon only the other week with our Skarosser too, typical.
If any of you motorbike events bring you past Midlands you can stop by and look over camper of course,

typically they are fitted to bed by a 2" eye bolt in each corner of load bed then a turnbuckle up to similar on underside of camper,
o0qwr6.jpg
Mark White's SKarosser was featured HERE

Gary W

June 15th, 2018, 9:13 pm

John wrote:
How do you attach the demout to the bed?

Thanks again
John
Although the Django range is pretty luxurious around half of them are bought with some degree of off-road use in mind so we can't use the simple strap or turnbuckle system more often used. This is partly because the camper will shift in extremis but also because under these conditions the chassis must be allowed to flex as it was designed to do or sooner or later it will break. Fortunately Django is light enough to be secured to the pickup load bin rather than directly to the chassis which makes life much easier. The truck half of the mounting system is fitted to a couple of aircraft cargo rails fitted the full length of truck bed (one each side) and can be removed and installed in a jiffy. The camper part consists of an automatic latching system at the front and two over-centre catches at the back. It's massively over engineered but so simple in use that when combined with the self aligning feature fitting and removing is a doddle. Best of all once latched into place the camper is as secure as though it were bolted directly so there's no creaking and groaning, it just feels as one.

SBS Adventure Campers