SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

March 27th, 2018, 9:36 pm

Common fault with all similar legs, I think its stress sometimes and that roll pin is first to go
so probably intentional really

wonkywheel

March 28th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Mike
Thanks for the email.The happijack info is far better than the service sheet I downloaded.
Studying it with interest :geek:
Mark
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

Toshbins

March 28th, 2018, 9:30 pm

Just to let you know I am following with interest and admiration. I dream of creating all sorts of things and then just .......
Look forward to seeing you at a meeting if not this year then next.

wonkywheel

March 29th, 2018, 7:35 pm

Hi Toshbins,
It will be nice to meet up and put a face to the threads. As you say this year or next. :D

I look at the build with incredulity and despair. :o Did I really take this on and am I ever going to finish :lol:
Then I think back to all the work I did on building my teardrop only to see it slowly delaminating and fall apart. :( I looked at the threads for repairing heavy wooden campers with the same water problems. :cry: I looked at the cost of some of the very nice aluminum builds...that I can't afford :cry:

8-) Then I think when it's finished it will be lightweight, waterproof, rot proof 8-) happy days :lol:

With the start of Drag racing this Easter weekend I have renewed vigor to get it usable it time for the Main event at the end of May
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

March 31st, 2018, 7:22 pm

A bit more in between rain showers

I repositioned the galley window frame a little lower and screwed it in position ready for when I get the welder out.

I even took two attempts at that :roll: .(extra fixing holes) I realized I needed to make sure the inner window framing misses the top cupboards (when I make some) With the top cupboards originally they were going to be vertical faces. But, having looked through the for sale section I notice that most top cupboards angle inwards by about 20-30 degrees. With shelves inside that will give a larger footprint so I will probably go with that idea. My only concern is hitting your head on them when sitting down in the raised floor area around the table. Other than that it could be a useful additional storage in what would be dead space.

During a dry spell, I thought I put the top down an enjoy the sunshine ;)

I needed the tarp off to screw into position some of the nose spars.
I fixed those into what I thought was the correct position. Screwed the bed frame in then hung, monkey-like on the bottom of the bed frame to check for flexing.
:) That's Ok then

The dry spell looked like coming to an end so I put the Hood up, stood back to admire my handy work. :o :shock:

They don't look parallel.
The tape measure confirmed my observations. The bottom spar out by 1 inch (25.4mm)
That will have to be corrected next time it stops raining, if it ever does.
It has been so wet lately that I even received an urgent email from Santa Pod raceway say the camping ground is flooded please stay away :(
The racers and spectators that are already there have my sympathy :? I know what it's like to be there when the only dry area is the cover outside the bar :lol: :lol: :lol:

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

April 2nd, 2018, 9:15 pm

After trying to design the lifting jacks around the materials I have already purchased without a working design, (trying to save on delivery charges) I decided they would not be fit for purpose. :( The leadscrews were not long enough (500mm). Plenty of movement to mount and dismount but not enough to move them up out of the way so, 1000mm ones are on order.

The outer box sections were far too heavy. They worked out at over 7 Kg each leg and I thought they would support the weight of the truck let alone the camper.
I intend using what was the inner for the outer. Using part of the outer box section to build the winding heads and have ordered yet more aluminum tubing. Some for the replacement leg inner tubes, some angle for door reveals and locker reveals and some more box section for the doors and interior furniture. At least the gears, oilite bushes, and thrust bearing were ok :) (or will be when I can get on the lathe ;)
The design looks good on cad. Just need to add some dimensions to machine to.

I am hoping for a spell of good weather and an energy burst as my grandson is away from college for 3 weeks so I might get a helping hand prepping the welds 8-)

Camper aedificavit domum

Big Jim

April 2nd, 2018, 9:23 pm

A motorised Hapijack leg is 16kg

wonkywheel

April 3rd, 2018, 7:21 am

Hmmm
Perhaps I'm getting a bit paranoid about weight, or its just that everything seems heavier these days :(
They say you loose 1% of muscle per year after 30 as you get older. That means i'm down almost 40% :( :(

I can always go back to the original sections if it all falls over :lol: :lol:
thanks, Jim

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

April 3rd, 2018, 7:50 pm

The selection of oilite bushes, bearings, bevel gears, with the too small leadscrew and nut.

[url=https://ibb.co/gv2bXH][img]https:/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

When I get the new aluminium box section it will go together something like this:-

[urImagel][/url]

I will turn the silver steel shafts where necessary and possibly replace the gear grub screws with a pin.(or dimple the shaft for the grub screw to get a good bite.

It might look a bit like this :geek:

[urImagel][/url]

Or I might change it again :roll:

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

April 5th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Such a nice day
I thought I'd have a day off work to play with the aluminium sections that arrived yesterday 8-) :D
After taking the tarpaulin off the camper, moving the offending nose spar into something like the correct position and adding a few other pieces I set to work cutting.

[urlImage][/url]

I cut the angle door reveal sections, then the door framing for the stable door. Beveled all the corners as the ends may well be visible when finished.
It took 2 or 3 attempts to get, what I consider, is a good working clearance around the doors. It's still a bit of a guess because I have no Handles or hinges yet :roll:
I also cut a number of pieces off the heavy box to make the leg winding head.

Nicely bevels though Image

The angle and door section clamped in the hole. I am still unsure about the door clearances because with a 25mm angle for the reveal too much clearance can be acceptable but a door that doesn't go in the hole will be a nightmare to rectify :oops:

[urlImage]

I also cut a few more pieces for supports under the seat/bed area. I was thinking of using the storage space under the seat for general items but, Instead of putting water and batteries in the raised floor area under the table I might put them in that space (volume permitting)

The last thing was to replace the corner sections with something I can hang the legs on.Image
Ok, roll on the weekend. I expect I had better go to work tomorrow. :cry:
Last edited by wonkywheel on May 8th, 2019, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camper aedificavit domum