Buying on the Continent

New to it all ? ask here for advice and check out these quick buyers guides
Andy

Buying on the Continent

March 6th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Hi, does anyone have any experience of travelling to the continent to buy a secondhand demountable? We are wanting to buy but there is very little availability in the UK.

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Buying on the Continent

March 6th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Hi Andy
take a look at the sales thread for an idea on German/French pricing (if you haven't already)

members here have bought abroad for just your reason.

Some very good points straight off;

have the air suspension fitted and ready

If paying by cash, make sure you shop around for a decent rate, HSBC vs Thomson's travel was a difference of around £500.

Take a 13 pin adapter, or make sure you're electrics are ready for the unit you are collecting.

Don't forget headlamp converters for driving on the continent.

Have insurance on standby ready to go,

Make a holiday out of it, I didn't have the time and it was far more stressful because of that.

Andy

March 6th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Thanks for the reply, and yes, I've seen the pricing and also the availability, which is, as you know, much wider than in the UK. I'm interested in people who have actually been across and bought a demountable, pitfalls, best places to go where there is choice, it's a bit of a gamble to go and see one unit but if there are reasonably big dealers people have been to then it's less of a risk...

horacebat

March 7th, 2018, 11:17 pm

Hi

Have a look at the write up that we did ....

importing

Happy to answer any questions.

PB.

Andy

March 8th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Thanks for the write-up - really useful information. We are looking at taking a truck over and just buying the demountable so hopefully avoiding some of the paperwork...

derestrictor

March 9th, 2018, 11:43 am

People fetching nicer caravans used from abroad have been known to just put their numberplate on back and been 'returning from a holiday' before now,
Who is to say after all?

cthodgson

March 29th, 2018, 4:01 pm

Hi Andy,

I ended up buying mine in Austria. After what felt like weeks of searching I found a private seller. We communicated a lot, through phone calls and emails and I felt they were being honest with their description. My biggest fear was that I would head all that way and it would be stinking of cigarettes or pets.

It all worked out well for us, and we got a good value Skarosser, but it was a stressful trip.
My advise would be to:
- have the air suspension fitted and ready, driving back on the autobahn with that constant porpoising motion is not an experience I'd like to live through again.
- If paying by cash, make sure you shop around for a decent rate, HSBC vs Thomson's travel was a difference of around £500.
- Take a 13 pin adapter, or make sure you're electrics are ready for the unit you are collecting. I took a tailgate board, totally unaware an adapter would have done the job far better.
- Don't forget headlamp converters for driving on the continent.
- Have insurance on standby ready to go, a crash on the way back would wipe out the joy of chase, and a huge wad of cash.
- Make a holiday out of it, I didn't have the time and it was far more stressful because of that.

Not much use, but maybe

Andy

April 1st, 2018, 8:57 pm

Thanks for the advice, it was really useful and was helping us. We have however managed to find a 2012 Apollo here in the UK so the next trip we'll be making to the continent will be with a camper already aboard. :D

derestrictor

April 3rd, 2018, 1:17 pm

Lucky find here on your doorstep then :)

put a picture on of your new toy when you collect it