SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

August 23rd, 2017, 5:30 pm

Can't expect to get it right first time have another go :)

wonkywheel

August 24th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Next attempt was 3 good out of 5 so I'm improving. I will start on the real deal next week with the bank holiday weekend coming up. I will start on the less critical areas to start with so that as my skills improve..........!!!!!!!!!??????????? (I will probably run out of gas :? )

The only problem is It's that time of the year again. Running repairs to "Lightning", my poor old teardrop trailer will again hold up proceedings as I am off to Santa Pod Raceway for 4 days beer and drag racing on the 7th. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Will have to walk the campsite with the 5 cards I have to see if I can spot any ;)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

wonkywheel

August 28th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Managed to do a bit of welding over the long weekend. :)

I have found that as my welding improves it gets increasingly difficult to get it apart when you do it wrong. :roll:
I only took the interior table to pieces ( to clean the oxide film off before welding). Then managed to tack it together wrong 3 times :lol:
When I finally tacked it together correctly it was not as flat and true as I wished so it will probably come apart again :| but I gave up then as it was too hot outside. That is the problem with trying an outside build in an unsuitable back yard with no flat welding table to work with.
The assembly errors were due to me concentrating on welding techniques, wire speed, voltage setting and being too keen to start final assembly work. But I am slowly getting to where I want to be ;)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

September 1st, 2017, 8:00 pm

Started welding things together 8-)

Now I think the strength of the welds are good enough for my needs. The first thing I tried, as I said, was the interior table. I tack welded it together on both of the flat faces first, only to find it was not flat enough :( . I took outside onto the relatively flat path and jumped on it a few times to break the offending tack welds :oops: I then tried to weld the seams.

Quite satisfied with the result, although I will add another ✖ brace for extra strength when used as part of the single bed.

The 3mm thick Dibond sheet is more flexible than I expected so I am adding extra braces as and when I think I need them. This conclusion was drawn while testing the seating areas. Anything more than about 300mm will sag if you sit on it (well me anyway :lol: ). It's true that in the seating area, the Dibond will have 25mm Celotex insulation backing and a checker-plate exterior, but not having tested any Celotex I'm not sure how resilient it is and I don't want it to have the chance to crush down.
When the table welds have been ground back to flush I will fix the Dibond with "Intek AG 300" Aluminium silicon sealant. The top section and sides have already been cut as has the 20mm aluminium angle to tidy up the edges. These will all be glued?? with the sealant (Aluminium coloured sealant to help hide any bad mitres :lol: :lol: )

The grinding will have to wait untill the Aluminium grinding disks arrive. Metal cutting disks clog up and burn the surface.

I decided to weld the cab over bed base next.

The design of this has been quite fluid. Originally all 1" box section 16 swg. Even the end sections were made with 2 pieces.
The base fits in between the 2 lengthwise main supports but it was no where near solid enough for my liking.
The climbing side bed edge was replaced with 2"x1", as was the center spar. The 2 piece end sections were replaced with solid pieces because it was difficult to get it flat and true. The end sections were not discarded as I used them, along with more I cut, to strengthen the whole thing with more spars (in keeping with the 300mm spacing)
'Piper' my daughter's dog, kept an eye on quality :lol:

The sections are now being welded together using a corner jig made from aluminium angle off cuts.

A slightly larger corner jig will need to be made, as will a jig to hold the sections straight when put together
Last edited by wonkywheel on May 8th, 2019, 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

September 1st, 2017, 8:42 pm

Trying to think of things you might fabricate and include about now,
how about a crib-side on bed edge, few times found parked on a slight backwards slope you can roll perilously close to falling off! (also doubles to retain stuff thrown on bed while travelling)

wonkywheel

September 1st, 2017, 9:17 pm

Funny you should say that.
:idea:
I did think I might try to incorporate some fixings outside or extra legs to use the coffee 8-) table outside. After all, it will be rot proof and impervious to water damage.
:idea: Any idea's gratefully received

p.s. with all the planning :roll: I still didn't put the leg pivot hole in the table centre spar before welding :roll:

Camper aedificavit domum

derestrictor

September 2nd, 2017, 11:32 am

provision for outside 'shelf' of some sort to sit cooking on
might not want bacon or strong fish permeating inside of camper for hours and might save carrying an extra table with you

wonkywheel

September 2nd, 2017, 12:19 pm

ummmmmm. drop down camp kitchen :?: :arrow: :idea: :geek: ;)

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

September 2nd, 2017, 4:30 pm

Santa Pod preparation

I only have until Wednesday to get "Lightning DPD"(delaminating plywood teardrop) ready for the 4 day European Finals meeting.
Tarpaulin off, power on, wipe down the solar panels, new gas bottle. The on board leisure battery shows 12.7 volts, not bad. An hour later, with the sun out 14.7volt( max solar charge system should allow)

Side track a bit, the charge controller was a cheap ebay purchase and it is not without its problems. Either that or it's my wiring :roll:
If I leave the solar panels connected when I turn the battery isolator switch to off. The power system runs up to 18-20 volts, in bright sun light, which has destroyed 3 car radios :shock: before I found the cause. There are 4off 6volt 10-watt panels connected 3 in series(3x6=18) on in parallel for a few more amps. The radio, lights and fan are all connected to the controller "LOAD" terminals. When the battery is connected all is well, max 14.7volt when disconnected :(

Back to the job in hand. Last winter, when water penetrated Lightning and destroyed all the bedding that had been left in situ, an alternative had to be found. During the winter, cold, dark nights when nothing could be done on the demountable build. I decided that I would need custom made seat/bed cushions. :idea: I know, I'll make them myself :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Again, working on the principle that if I read the book, I can do it. :oops:

Armed with a book on sewing techniques, my mothers 30 something-year-old sewing machine and my usual enthusiasm, we were off.
Quite a few strange looks from shop assistants when I quizzed them about fabric, upholstery silk, sewing machine bobbin tension and other allied subjects I knew nothing about.
My design dictated I needed four cushions, two each side, that when laid out together made my single bed. Denelm, four pieces of 4 inch blue foam 1000mm long. It was not until some weeks later after cutting all the cushions to size I noticed the scrap was not all the same size :oops:

3 were 4 inches, one was 3 1/2 inch. Even the shop assistant at the cash till didn't notice :( At over £20 a go I was not pleased) :cry:
This picture shows the rough position on the build (thick and thin :lol: I can laugh about it now )

Fabric was next. A colleague at work suggested Draylon as it is near waterproof and very hard wearing. Just the job I thought :!: Finding some turned out to be a bit of a problem :!: Eventually I ordered some mint green plain Draylon which came from Germany. :!:

After quite a few evenings sitting over a hot sewing machine, running tests on bobbin tension, thread tension, stitch length, repairing the speed controller I managed to make a small test cushion compleat with sort of piped edges 8-)
I then thought, apart from not having a suitable sewing machine foot for piping, do I want to lay on two pieces of string when the cushions are made into a bed. NO
So piping is out.

That was as far as I got with cushion no 1. It's not right yet as I will have to replace the back panel with a bigger one if I continue to use two layers of wadding (for that soft touch :lol: )

I also plan to experiment with a soft form of edging called French mattress edging :geek: and I might even add buttoning :ugeek:

The whole point of this rambling is that I used the covered foam and the three uncovered for the replacement bed in Lightning.

These were taken out to air and to make sure they were dry. At least with the air vents open and a tarpauin over it to keep the wet out there was no fungus growing inside this time :lol:

The next jobs will be to check tyre pressure, check wheel bearings for grease/tightness. I usually have to take all the bulbs out of the trailer light to get them to work. I have yet to get anything out of the grey aux plug at all. even though the garage said they checked it and it works ok :?:
Last edited by wonkywheel on May 8th, 2019, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

September 3rd, 2017, 3:01 pm

The cool morning lured me back to the welder :)

I have most of the base section fixed together with self-tapping screws and the angle pieces, as is the complete roof section. As the drilling jig became worn the position of the hole for the self-tapping screws became slightly out. In a lot of cases, the error was small enough not to be a problem, especially with the hole being clearance on the self-tappers. I intend to weld the angle pieces in situ. Not only will this save deconstruction, but it should be a stronger weld, seeing as the angle is 3mm thick while the box only 16swg(approx 1.5mm), and welding on the corner gives me a slightly thicker box area :?:
Where the accuracy was important I have repositioned the offending spar, drilled the screw clearance hole right through, then riveted it in place.
Pop rivets are good to stop lateral movement but they can allow the joint to rotate around the rivet. Contrary to most thinking, the compression on the joint is only as good as the clamping force holding them together. It doesn't get tighter as you "pop" the rivet :geek:

I needed to test my welding skill(or lack of it) and the therory that I can weld the angle in situ.

That worked Ok, even if there was a little too much penetration :lol: :lol:

I intended to weld together (tack together) the complete cab over bed base with its ladder bracing. I only managed about a third before the sky clouded over and there were a few spots of rain. A quick pack up followed. I'm not keen on working in the rain with 180 amps at my disposal :o

The welding jigs ready for use. An inner right angle, an outer right angle and an inline one.

I have used these jigs in various combinations, sometimes all together. This, I hope, will allow me a straight and true assembly.

I had initially welded all the ✖ pieces together. Now just to join them all together.
Before the rain halted play, I did throw the ladder section into the unfinished frame, just to ensure it was about right. ;)
Looks good to me 8-)
The supplyer of the grinding disk tells me there is a delay on getting them :roll:
Thats just my excuse for the ✖ welds looking a bit rough :oops:

In the background, leaning up against the fence you can see my sheet transport frame. It slots onto the roof bars on the thunder cab. Just slightly larger than an 8x4 sheet(2440x1220). I use it to transport the Dibond, checker plate etc. It has upstands riveted onto it to stop any of the sheets getting away.
Last edited by wonkywheel on May 8th, 2019, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camper aedificavit domum