Buying advice

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
cazhux

Buying advice

July 14th, 2017, 6:20 pm

Hi I am looking to buy a demountable with a new Toyota Hilux.
I have had varying advice regarding water ingress and damp on models that don't have a full shell, so in joints?
I want a light unit that can be used in very hot and cold conditions.
Sadly I don't see to be able to find any I can look at without going abroad?

I am looking to buy new, any advice on what to go for?
Thanks Caroline

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Buying advice

July 14th, 2017, 7:26 pm

Good evening & welcome,
we have a selection in our buyers guide section detailing known issues,
all submitted by members here so straight from horses mouth
most modern campers don't suffer ingress single shell or otherwise as long as assembled & stored correctly,
broadly speaking buy as new as you can and please read our guides above, take a damp meter on viewings an honest seller with nothing to conceal won't object it being prodded into out of sight panels to confirm a camper isn't sopping wet!

other than that when you see something you quite like just show it on here for honest advice, where do you live, perhaps we have someone quite close who can show you around their own camper,

Big Jim

July 15th, 2017, 6:06 am

Hello and welcome
I suggest you buy something second hand for a whie to see what size and features you like and don't like and use it a few times . Looking at one for half an hour is different from living in it .
Good luck on your hunt .
Jim

cazhux

July 15th, 2017, 8:23 am

Hi I live in Sheffield, I looked at Apollo yesterday but have read some negative reviews.
I'm worried if i buy 2nd hand i will lose too much in selling on?
I'm convinced it's the way to go, my main issue is with height, can anyone give a rough idea on the outside height with the camper on the truck? The bed height from the ground on the pickup is 85cm.
I like the look of Dutch campers but you have to travel to Amsterdam to see one.
Thanks for replies

mjb666

July 15th, 2017, 9:24 am

Hi Caroline and Welcome

We bought a cheap second hand De-mountable to try it out with a view to getting a newer one after a year or so. We've still got it 6 1/2 years later as it's perfect for us.

If you join the groups Facebook page as well as watching this Forum, there are second hand De-mountables, some with a pick up, For Sale in the UK.

There are also a few companies that can get you a De-mountable and normally have a demonstrator that you could view.

The Dutch camper that you like, is this a particular make or model?

Mike
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

Mike

July 15th, 2017, 9:40 am

Hi Caroline
Welcome to the world of demountables, the Dutch campers are sold by sbs adventure campers in Weymouth see the banner at the top of the page, Gary who is a member here has a wealth of knowledge, As does Golum Rumsby who sells tischer and 2nd hand units. They are great people to discuss your requirements with.

I also have a height restriction obviously the truck bed heights do vary but generally they are all about 3m from ground to roof, but don't forget to measure to top of any roof windows or vents. You could also consider a pop top, northstar have these, they are advertised on eBay. Or our own Mark White has one for sale, see the recent posts from him.
The 2nd hand route is not a bad one, I must say generally if it's all kept in good condition they don't seem to lose too much in value. That's what I'm hoping Anyway!,
Good luck with the search and ask plenty of questions here as we have all been where you are now
Cheers
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

cazhux

July 16th, 2017, 6:10 pm

Thanks everyone we will keep researching.

Alexd

July 17th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Buyers guides section feature a lot of campers available that feature in 'demountable campers for sale'