'60 Murrumba Linda star rebuild

Self builds and DIY projects
kiwiandy

'60 Murrumba Linda star rebuild

June 24th, 2017, 9:58 am

Find this old Murrumba Linda Star online...

She needs lots of work... basically the only thing salvageable is the shell and the solar panel on top...

My aim is to build a self contained, self sufficient truck camper that will allow me to go stay off grid with my dogs
for 3-4 days at the time.
I'm a sailor.. don't know anything about carpentry or electrical work, so I'm going to use the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid) for this rebuild. If you are interested you can follow the progress on this forum as I go trough... this might take sometime...

Andy.
New Zealand.
Andy in New Zealand.
History of my Murrumba Linda Star : http://ditzygypsy.proboards.com/thread/339

#If my dog doesn't like you there is a 110% chance I won't like you neither#

kiwiandy

Re: '60 Murrumba Linda star rebuild

June 24th, 2017, 10:17 am

Ok after much struggle I moved the camper somewhere where I can work on it... I need some jacks.

First thing lets have a look inside...
The bamboo pole holds the top section of the door up... yes is one of those spaceship doors..

Behold the amazing electrical system...

The interior has been exposed to rain for sometime... I decided to take a clean slate approach on it... take it all out...

I think I was right to take it all out, rotting wood was under the plywood liner on windows frame and under the bed frame... everything must go.

Next workday will finish to strip the interiors and start filling holes.

Andy.
Andy in New Zealand.

zildjian
Site Admin

June 24th, 2017, 11:13 am

Got something of a project there Andy, think I've seen scaled-down version of that design on sale in Europe but not that size, do you have an image of one as they should look?

kiwiandy

June 24th, 2017, 11:34 am

Yes those are picture from one in good conditions, it must be a older or newer model than mine as the windows are different shape and the interior has built in compartments in the fibreglass while mine does not..

There still quite a few in Australia that come up for sale from time to time, in New Zealand I would say there wouldn't be more than 10 in working order at a guess...

A bit of a rarity but I like how light it is and would work good on our smaller Japanese pick-ups... the American imported full size pick up trucks are just too expensive here.
Andy in New Zealand.

zildjian
Site Admin

June 24th, 2017, 11:43 am

unusual aren't they, definitely boat like in construction I'd say and what this please

get url for picture

kiwiandy

June 27th, 2017, 10:06 am

Thats one big roof top vent... my one only has a small one.

So tonight I finished to strip down the shell, took every bit of rotten wood, insulation and bugs out, removed side windows, doors and solar panel and the 240V inlet (was so corroded I had to use an hammer to pop it out the hole).

Here is a pic of the empty shell

And the roof vent ...I think I will change it with a Fiamma plastic one with bugs screen

Took the doors down to repaint and reseal... the top one was holding on with one rivet, lucky didn't fly off on the motorway.

Only material left now is the fibreglass shell and the subfloor made of marine plywood, this is fibreglassed on the camper itself and looks in good condition as it was covered by a second piece of marine plywood. I think I will look for a product to preserve the wood and than use epoxy to cover it and level the floor before applying vinyl.

Mission is now start filling all the holes and waterproof the interior . I find lots of small holes under the bed frame, I'm guessing somebody along the way though this was a good way of creating ventilation ?!!?!
Andy in New Zealand.

zildjian
Site Admin

June 28th, 2017, 7:52 am

Very good!
what will you do about internal fitments like cabinets etc, the featured lockers in fibreglass would be good and essentially part of the structure but perhaps you'll refit normal camper internals this time.
also insulation what do you plan on that too please.

looks an interesting project all the same is this your sort of hobby normally

kiwiandy

June 28th, 2017, 9:42 am

Thank you zildjian , tonight I filled up some holes and give the first coat of protective epoxy to the marine wood flooring while I'm waiting for the parts from e-bay.
I would like to use polystyrene panels to insulate the interior if I can fit them properly on the curved walls, the frame will be raw sawn pine and than will have a condensation barrier on top (a sheet of plastic) , than all lined with thin plywood.
The interior I'm going for will be simple, probably mostly wood as it is easier to work with, usually I work on motorcycles so this is all new to me but really enjoy doing it.
Andy in New Zealand.

kiwiandy

July 3rd, 2017, 10:27 am

Passed the first coat of waterproof bitumen paint on the interior, sealed the floor, scraped the window frames of the old sealant... put back up the first window frame using Silkaflex 221i, a good sealant/adhesive for automotive use and on the other side I build a frame of H3 timber secured with liquid nail to the fibreglass shell, pictures to come if ever stop raining.
After that I did some research and most people suggest to use BUTYL tape to seal camper windows... need to get some.

Andy in New Zealand.

kiwiandy

August 24th, 2017, 11:32 am

I'm slowly making progress, started mounting the windows frames back up, got a fresh water inlet that I mounted on the side and it will feed a tank directly under the sink.
Mounted a "shore" power inlet , i like the folding away kind so water doesn't get in . I have a fan to mount and two missing windows to replace next...

ImageImage
online safety pics
Andy in New Zealand.