2 stupid questions in one thread

New to it all ? ask here for advice and check out these quick buyers guides
wonkywheel

2 stupid questions in one thread

June 8th, 2017, 1:04 pm

Hi all,

I am at the start of my home build rot proof demountable having all but given up on my delaminated plywood teardrop. The teardrop build was potentially finished before the cut off date for an IVA test. (Individual Vehicle Approval) This test is carried out at a VOSA centre at a cost(then) £75. (a sort of MOT for trailers)

Question 1

Are there any test requirements for a home built demountable camper apart from not protruding beyond the vehicle more than 305mm (a foot in old money) at the sides and 1000mm at the back.??

Question 2

Vehicle mirrors.
I am aware that I need rear view mirrors that enable me to see along the side of the camper body 4 meter wide 20 meters back on both sides.
On a vehicle used before 26 January 2010 (My Ranger is 2007) a mirror can extend 250mm wider than the camper(below 2000mm off ground). An extension mirror fixed to the existing door mirrors. If the camper is removed at a camp site these extended mirrors now also need to be removed as they are outside the 305mm allowable distance.

Is it possible to incorporate the wing mirrors on the camper cab over so that they are always in the correct position.
I know UK law states the driver side mirror must be adjustable from the driver seated. This is not the case on the continent.

Just a thought as I could build it in

Mark :?:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: 2 stupid questions in one thread

June 8th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Do what you like
& do what you like

camper is no different to any other large box 'carried' in back of pickup and as such shouldn't protrude, extend or in any way overload the vehicle, nor should any load obscure the rear lights and number plate

Golum here will sell you some fancy American extending mirrors if you are suitably riven though most here just use sprung loaded halfords towing mirrors

Clemenson campers manufactured in France usually have mirrors bolted up underneath overcab as you say so its all been done before and works OK

derestrictor

June 8th, 2017, 4:44 pm

Those 'American' mirrors that flip out on either side look a bit odd anyway, I would go to Halfords too :shock:

wonkywheel

June 8th, 2017, 5:41 pm

:o If I had a pair of those American extending mirrors it would double the value of my build :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4