Keith's Transit Van

Self builds and DIY projects
keeflester

Re: Keith's Transit Van

July 4th, 2016, 7:55 pm

zildjian wrote:Have you pre-wired the sides and other roof panels for lighting Keith
I've decided that I'd prefer to run the wiring inside and behind the furnitures. The only bit I'm going to conceal is the live feed from the vehicle auxiliary battery to the b2b charging unit. That's because it has to go across the entry point. I might put it up the b-pillar and along the ceiling join then down into the battery compartment at the c-pillar. If I'd planned it better I would have put this one wire in before I started, but hey-ho.

The kitchen light will suffice for cabin lighting, one over each bed, and possibly one over the drivers side window to light the sink. Oh, and one in the loo, probably better not to rely on Braille for that. I'll run a bus round and feed all the lights off that with their own built-in switches. I might do two circuits, left and right side on separate fuses. Then there's circuits for the fridge, the telly, the amplified aerial, the water pump.

I've got a ten-way fuse panel and distribution unit so that should be plenty. LOL

This is a dissection of the end of one of our mattresses. It wasn't expensive so I thought it was going to be a foam slab. Oh dear, how wrong. It's made of pocket springs with a foam bumper around the edges.
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.

zildjian
Site Admin

July 19th, 2016, 11:41 am

Tools for the job, spray contact glue and a bread knife and scissors

Dissection further to remove more of the pocket springs. I took out three rows on the downstairs mattress and four from the upper one.

Final result. Foam bumper stuck back on and the loose fabric of the case tucked in, folded over and stuck securely with half a tin of spray glue. Those are not really hospital corners, but nobody is going to see them. Except ourselves. LOL

zildjian
Site Admin

July 20th, 2016, 12:38 pm

Power centre, the battery to battery charger is a step up from split charge solutions and promises to look after my leisure battery better. Time will tell.

How kind of the battery manufacturer to provide all these fixing holes.

Beds framed up now, gorilla glue to ensure they will take our weight. The partition has been laminated from leftover cladding. I think I have enough yet for the other bulkhead.

derestrictor

July 21st, 2016, 7:27 pm

Looking good Keef we think you are a (seriel builder) now as you have made a few campers now

keeflester

July 21st, 2016, 7:52 pm

derestrictor wrote:Looking good Keef we think you are a (serial builder) now as you have made a few campers now
Aye, cheers for the compliments. It's been a bit of a head scratcher. There's no square corners and no vertical surfaces, but I'm over the thinking stage now and on the doing stages. Still to source something suitable for counter tops. 18mm laminated pine was my first choice but it's getting hard to find.

As for serial builder, I'm retired now so I have to be a serial something or I'll end up bored and lazy.
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold

Phoenixsp1

August 21st, 2016, 9:37 pm

Nice work Keith, when is the maiden voyage planned? :D

keeflester

August 21st, 2016, 9:47 pm

Phoenixsp1 wrote:Nice work Keith, when is the maiden voyage planned? :D
Probably take a short uk trip first to iron out any bugs. I've not been doing much lately, too many other things to do. Don't know how I ever found time to work. My parking/turning space was a bigger job than I anticipated. Why do I always tackle new challenges? That's me I guess. Building a wall with slates and mortar took a lot more than I thought, worth spending time to do it right though. Nearly finished that part.
I've got a roof to de-fungus and seal if I can get a dry spell, a sewer pipe to re-align and repair when there's a low tide, and a bridge to build. That's me retired now by the way. LOL
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold

zildjian
Site Admin

May 3rd, 2017, 8:53 pm

Keith is this an idea (or not)

keeflester

May 3rd, 2017, 9:01 pm

zildjian wrote:Keith is this an idea (or not)

It's one way of making the back door area more versatile. You could cook on that in fine weather or sit out and use it as a drinks table. I'm currently thinking along different lines, a drop-down hinged at the back of the floor and going the exact width of the doors to land on battens with a pin and socket to keep it all in place. Then a box-shaped awning to drop over the top of the doors so we can sleep with the back doors open when it's warm in the far south.
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold