Iceland

Reports, advice, maps, it all goes here for the intrepid.
whisht

Iceland

January 17th, 2017, 8:44 pm

So, we're starting to plan a trip to Iceland next early summer - May/June 2018. The only ferry route as yet is the Smyril Line Denmark, Faroes, Iceland route and they aren't willing to confirm or deny whether the Scarbster, Faroes, Iceland route will be re-instated. Learning point 1: the deck space fills very quickly for "auto campers" so we need to book this year - early summer 2017 - to be sure of a place. Learning point 2: its eye-wateringly expensive!

First questions in a series: Gas? There is no LPG in Iceland - seems very rare north of mid Denmark so Gaslow or similar so may not be the best option for 3 to 4 weeks endurance even on 2 x 6Kg bottles which is what I have room for. Comment?
Does anyone know what bottles to use in Iceland? Camping Gaz? Other? The only bottles (as opposed to camp stove small tin canisters) I can find on-line are Primus - about 3 Kg. Does anyone have any advice on availability of appropriate pigtails for Primus bottles in UK? …. or other sources of info.

Ta!

DarceysGran

Re: Iceland

January 18th, 2017, 7:53 pm

Hi!

We are off to Iceland ourselves this summer. We will be off towards the end of July and back eight weeks later.
Our ferries are booked - you are right in thinking that space for taller vehicles is rather limited, so get booked as soon as you can.
I wouldn't bank on going from Scrabster - it is some years since that service was stopped.

This is our 6th trip to Iceland, but the first with the Demountable. We will have a week in the Faroes and a month in Iceland.
The gas situation isn't giving us any cause for concern. We have two 6kg bottles of Calor, which power our gas heater and the hob for cooking. We will also take a bottle of Camping Gaz which powers our barbecue, and we will cook on that when we can.

On previous trips we have been camping with a tent, and we have just taken two bottles of Camping Gaz and we have never run out.

We are relatively frugal campers. We will cook for ourselves most days. We have no shower or hot water system. We will definitely use the heater if needed and make sure that we are warm, but we don't envisage using all of our gas in the time we are away.

We're really looking forward to our trip. The drive up through Northern Europe is part of the holiday for us, and we always find plenty of interest to see.

We hope that you get booked soon, and enjoy your holiday when you get there.
We're not experts, but if there is anything else you wanted to ask we'll do our best, or point you in the right direction.

We are more easily contacted via the Demountable Groups Facebook page - the name is Kate Love.
Happy travelling!

DarceysGran

January 19th, 2017, 12:37 am

Hi again!
I've just realised that you're not planning on going to Iceland until 2017!
After this summer we will be able to let you know how we got on with our gas supplies.

It's getting to be such a popular destination that it's wise to do your booking pretty far ahead. We booked our crossings for this summer about 4 weeks ago, but we had to be a bit flexible with our dates. I remember that back in 2010 we didn't book until April for a crossing at the end of June - how things change!

whisht

January 19th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Thanks. I have PM'd too. Looks like I actually have room for 6Kg and 3.8Kg Calor and a Camping Gaz as spare/alternate. The only thing I have extra is gas fridge but figure to be frugal with that as long as it doesn't get too hot. Yes it can in Iceland sometimes especially if on the black glacial outwash gravel sometimes! More thoughts and questions as they occur.

zildjian
Site Admin

January 24th, 2017, 8:38 am

whisht wrote:Thanks. I have PM'd too. Looks like I actually have room for 6Kg and 3.8Kg Calor and a Camping Gaz as spare/alternate. The only thing I have extra is gas fridge but figure to be frugal with that as long as it doesn't get too hot.

hebergeur gratuit

Yes it can in Iceland sometimes especially if on the black glacial outwash gravel sometimes! More thoughts and questions as they occur.

zildjian
Site Admin

January 24th, 2017, 8:39 am

OK Hugh re-read your email and added pics

try here; https://postimage.io/

Alexd

January 24th, 2017, 2:34 pm

That colour combination there looks really good actually, lovely camper anyway i'm envious :lol:

whisht

January 24th, 2017, 6:19 pm

It's technically 'white' as I wasn't willing to spend more on a light grey which is what I wanted. And, hey! I unwrapped Santa's present and got just what I wanted - what appears to me to be a light grey! Someone did point out the red and grey is very 70's - but then so am I. :D

Me? I'm dead chuffed!