Apollo Repair/Revamp/Rebuild...Help!

Self builds and DIY projects
Rocket_man

Apollo Repair/Revamp/Rebuild...Help!

September 25th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Hi All,

Some of you will remember me from my previous post: New member needs help with Apollo revamp

We are now at the stage of looking into the damp problem and started with what we hope is the worst area, 'The Shower Room'! We have had the Apollo about 3 months and been a way a few times. Really loved using it, but never used the shower room. Anyway today we pulled off the wall, which was stuck on to the original wall by a previous owner. The idiot did not address the damp issue, but covered it up! There was mould all over the first wall and it was still feeling quite damp which is worrying as mentioned we never used the shower.
I only assume there is still water getting in somewhere! Is it possible that the damp remained damp between the two walls or would this of dried out over time?

Here are the photos from today. Any tears on the lens was me crying...lol

free picture hosting

I am after any helpful ideas on tackling the renewing of this. Next to the shower is a big cupboard unit. Do I need to remove all the cupboards to get access to the walls, I am assuming so. If so how can i remove them with out damaging them?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Rocket_man on September 25th, 2016, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjb666

Re: Apollo Repair/Revamp/Repair...Help!

September 25th, 2016, 4:48 pm

Hi Tim, i wondered if you had considered getting a quote for damp repair from a caravan/motorhome company?

At least then you could compare it against a private/self repair pricewise?

I suppose i should also suggest getting a quote from the manufacturer but, do you know what, i won't!
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

Mike

Re: Apollo Repair/Revamp/Repair...Help!

September 25th, 2016, 8:18 pm

Yes that looks very familiar I have a ranger same sort of construction to the apollo, I think you will have to cut out all the wood that is rotted and replace, I went through the outside taking off the metal skin and then cutting some plywood to shape across all the back end. Remember to check to side walls as well. To make sure these are OK.
My thread oh no what's happened
If it's not got in the door surround you may be able to work in the bathroom.
It's disheartening I know but it is repairable just with usual diy skills.

Good luck and post plenty of pictures
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Apollo Repair/Revamp/Rebuild...Help!

September 28th, 2016, 7:58 pm

Will be interesting to other Apollo victims owners to see if you can finally find where water is entering the structure,

Mike

October 4th, 2016, 7:57 pm

I think mine was a hair line crack in shower tray, which was sealed but perhaps too late by previous owners
Cheers

2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

Rocket_man

October 5th, 2016, 7:09 am

Thanks for your replies guys.

As our work involves having to do this in the dry, we have decided to build a garage/workshop at the side of our house. So the Apollo will have to go on hold until we have this done. We have just knocked our 1947 brick shed down and then we have to break up the concrete flooring and replace with a new bed of concrete. Then we will build a wooden frame and put light weight roofing on and doors either end. I hope our Apollo appreciates the effort we are going to to me things cosy :-)

zildjian
Site Admin

October 5th, 2016, 7:21 am

The jobs done here on several look routine actually and once completed and resealed if you also have the option of shelter too your Apollo will indeed be happy,
glad the shed came down OK was wondering where you were!

Rocket_man

November 9th, 2016, 4:07 pm

Hi guys, I was hoping to start the work on our Apollo soon.

One thing I would like to do is add the normal legs like most other demountables have. Mine are old and detach, but I would prefer the fixed ones. I am not bothered if they are electric or manual wind. Where can I buy these?

Thanks

Tim

saDgit

November 9th, 2016, 5:46 pm

Rocket_man wrote:One thing I would like to do is add the normal legs like most other demountables have. Mine are old and detach, but I would prefer the fixed ones. I am not bothered if they are electric or manual wind. Where can I buy these?

Thanks

Tim
Hi Tim, I'm not sure that you'll find anybody in the UK selling them normally though importers of American RV parts may be able and prepared to bring some in for you. I think there are people on here who have had them fabricated (often using trailer side-wind jacks as the basic mechanism) but they would usually be detached from the camper for travel like the ones you've already got. I got mine direct from the manufacturer in the States (as described in this post viewtopic.php?f=15&t=404#p4601) but beware those unexpected costs, especially with the currently crappy exchange rate. Mine ended up costing me over 300 euros per corner! :o
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

Rocket_man

November 10th, 2016, 12:48 pm

Thanks SaDgit,

Thank you for letting me know. Sounds like there is a marketplace for someone to start making or importing these. Where do companies like Apollo and Ranger get there legs from? Could I not buy a set for a company like this? One of the reason I want these is they look like they lower the motorhome closer to the ground as our Apollo wobbles quite a bit on its current legs.