Modification to Skarosser8l Pt 1; the longsleeper

Self builds and DIY projects
PB Camper

Modification to Skarosser8l Pt 1; the longsleeper

August 24th, 2015, 8:07 pm

As promised i'd like to show you my modification of the bed in my Nordstar, I'm a little tall and it was not funny to sleep in a bed of about 2m...

So first a big thank you and a big hand for the great idea of ​​Karin and Helmut, without which the whole thing would not have happened! it needs no support really, the construction is also not designed for the one it sits on the 'drawers' but nevertheless I'm consider a small support to clamp underneath.

The 'drawers' themselves are resilient up to 140 kg, the weak point is the connection to the bed floor. which consists in the Nord Star from (I guess) 4-6mm "thick" sheet of plywood. There you will find screws, of course no support. That is why you should additionally glue the strips with glue.
Between the support of the slatted base and the bed floor are standard 4 cm square. That is not enough to support the weight used. Therefore, the front support has been increased by one centimeter, but you'd never notice while lying down.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

A few dimensions: The store ? can be off 57 cm and 60 cm wide. The distance from the outer wall is about 8 cm, around 60 cm remain between the store thus left, over which one can easily climb into bed. I'll probably still attach a little kick as an intermediate.

The height of the pillow you have to individually measure in order to get on a level with the mattress. We have, for example, an Ikea mattress, so that we arrive at a pad thickness of ~ 16 cm. The foam we bought in the hobby market, but have then found that we would come off cheaper if we had brought us the cheapest mattress from the Swedish furniture store and they had then placed in several layers one above the other. (Foam can be wonderfully cut with a band saw by the way, I would not have thought) The fabric finish was Beate, tailored from the original Nordstar furnishings we still have, just like the lining of the front panel. This we have padded with a fleece over the boards and stapled from behind.

I send the pictures to Zildjian, hoping he will edit them ...

Sorry for hold up folks, technical difficulty (typical)

derestrictor

Re: Modification in a Skarosser 8l/ part one/ the longsleepe

August 25th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Makes sense to sleep longwise instead of sideways, but how do you get onto the bed, is the bed already made up with sheets before you climb onto it?

rubberrat

August 25th, 2015, 4:29 pm

Mighty clever stuff and answers a lot of questions asked by others here in the past.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

PB Camper

August 25th, 2015, 8:47 pm

The bed is ready to sleep in this configuration. It's possible to use it in the 'normal' way, or sleep longwise.
You just have to pull out the tray and put the small mattress's in, you can climb into the bed between the trays.
No problem...

zildjian
Site Admin

December 7th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Think I might look at this over Winter as a project PB camper,

Big Jim

December 7th, 2015, 8:00 pm

Nice job.
I am 6'4" , this is my idea to get some more foot room , I need someone else to try it first to get it to work . :lol:

zildjian
Site Admin

December 7th, 2015, 8:11 pm

But as just pointed out on the North/south scheme, how would the bed sheet & duvet work its going to sag in the middle,

you can't build a full width drawer unit strong enough to hoist yourself up and down onto the bed either
hmm!

Toshbins

December 7th, 2015, 9:21 pm

Ok, so big drawer on one side and step up on the other. Better for game of footsie?

Toshbins

December 7th, 2015, 9:23 pm

Ah, but strong enough for footsie but not perhaps the full hoisting up and down.

zildjian
Site Admin

December 7th, 2015, 9:45 pm

No a 'drawer on both sides of bed now, with fixed panel centrally, you step up on side seat and (in my case) table/closet in the middle,

PB says as you clamber up into now middle of bed, you drop the cushion into drawer unit and get beneath duvet,
what we can't see is how the actual bed sheet is
A; in place before you start
B; doesn't sag down between drawers onto table below

I've been looking for an image of a bed 'made up' but everything I've seen so far is matress & pull out cushions only,

no bedding