New member needs help with Apollo revamp

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
Que

Re: New member needs help with Apollo revamp

June 17th, 2016, 11:26 am

Hi Tim,
We are in Somerset but will be joining the meet in Devon, if you fancy a weekend away to meet a bunch of us :D

Zildjian is right about the front straps, they should pass down between the cab and the tub and hook on to the chassis and that is the strongest and safest place. As for the rear, if your Apollo is original you should find a strap point where the entry step is pivoted near the centre point of the camper underneath, it's just part of the step bracket if I remember. This is intended to take a strap which will pass around the tow hitch to hold the camper into the tub bed.

Ah wind up legs. Ok ours is 19 years old almost but has electric legs so I assumed yours were too, heyho. I suspect that if you take those apart you will find that they are fixable, don't know if you are mechanically minded or not or know someone who is (small local machine shop or model engineer perhaps) but unless disaster has struck and the gears are stripped it may just be that the legs have been overwound in one direction or other and the coupling to the screw has slipped or a shear pin snapped it may be quite a straight forward fix, fingers crossed. We occasionally, I say we, me, have to take our electric legs apart to adjust them from time to time as the coupling to the screw can slip if in a moment of distraction I allow them to over wind, that stops em from winding so yours may have a similar construction sans motor.

If your campers narrow section, the bit which sits between the wheel arches is approximately the same length as your tub bed then it's a perfect match for your double cab and will fit snuggly together like the one in the pictures with the rear lights almost touching the wide part of the camper but not quite.

Hope this has been helpful and good luck in getting it all sorted.
Nissan D40 KingCab
Apollo Demountable
Weston-Super-Mare

zildjian
Site Admin

June 17th, 2016, 1:01 pm

"if you are mechanically minded or not or know someone who is (small local machine shop or model engineer perhaps) but unless disaster has struck and the gears are stripped it may just be that the legs have been overwound in one direction or other"
often people get a bit lazy and rather than spend a a few seconds more winding them properly by hand they use a cordless drill
(I know it looks cool & trendy) but the torque those things create can easily strip a cog inside the mechanism, all of its fixable though if not by you a machine shop can tackle jobs like this quite easily,

and yes, come and see us weekend after next a few Apollo amongst the rest of them to look around for ideas

derestrictor

June 17th, 2016, 5:53 pm

little bit late (me) rocket man but hi and welcome to the site

Rocket_man

June 17th, 2016, 8:49 pm

I will have a look at how the straps can go between the cab and load area. Also have a look which part of the chassis seems strongest.

Trying to fix the legs now, I think the two tubes have ( inner and outer ) have got stuck with each other. Have taken out the 1 meter threaded bolt and stuck lots of spray oil in the tubes. I hope then I can free them apart tomorrow.

Where abouts are you guys meeting in Devon? What dates exactly? If we can fix the legs and get the demountable on the navara, we will try and come down. I assume the Navara will take the weight ok.

Cheers

Tim

mjb666

June 17th, 2016, 9:07 pm

Hi Tim and Welcome.

Have a look at the RunAway2016 Thread for the campsite details and postcode. It's next weekend so you had better get those legs working a bit quick.

Mike.
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

June 17th, 2016, 9:15 pm

tubes may have got slightly bent, its not uncommon, usually some ambitious/impatient backing under it.

try a little heat with a hairdryer if thats all you have, just play the heat up and down se if that warms up the oil and makes it get little further in, its more likely a bit bent as opposed shredded moving parts.

We are all in Devon Saturday week some of are there from Friday or earlier, its called Branscombe near Seaton

Navara will do it now, but do it better with air kit on back axle, check out Marcle leisure advert at foot of page for kit for Nissan

zildjian
Site Admin

June 17th, 2016, 9:55 pm

Leave the legs behind you don't have to drop camper off!
Wrap the straps around front chassis,
Those are the important ones do all the work,

Have you got electrics for towing installed for lighting?

Rocket_man

June 17th, 2016, 10:07 pm

Yep I have one socket with the towbar. I notice the Apollo has two sockets, what are they both for?

Am I best to run a strap down between the cab and the load area, then under the chassis and back up the other side ( between cab and load area again) then hook to the demountable? At the moment the way the demountable is hooked is basically a strap running around a fixing where the jack leg goes in and the strap goes back to the pick up. A loop truck eye, through demountable and back to same truck eye.

zildjian
Site Admin

June 18th, 2016, 6:18 am

Second 'Black' plug will charge leisure battery from trucks alternator (when it judges truck battery is fully charged)
powers some camper interior lighting and fridge)
bit of an odd system thats developed over time and now on new campers one multi pin plug does it all anyway.

Strap; yes I believe Apollo just hang on the leg bracket as its a strong point, down to either eye-hook or chassis rail usually one for near and offside, although in fact I loop one continuos one up from the truck,

often on all pick up trucks there are a variety of random holes and slots left unused in chassis rails you can hook into
they are there because one chassis is sometimes shared across several different model and make of truck but they don't all utilise same fixings for suspension/truck bodies/cabs

Rocket_man

June 18th, 2016, 9:52 am

Hi guys,

Not a happy person here!

I just removed the old microwave which sits up high near the back door. I then discovered the original backing/wall covering and around the edges it is soft and I can put my fingers through it in places. I think we was ripped off by the seller. I know we cannot take legal action against them as it was sold as Mazda Pick Up/Motorhome sold as seen!

Going to cry in the corner now :(