New member needs help with Apollo revamp

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
Rocket_man

Re: New member needs help with Apollo revamp

June 22nd, 2016, 1:36 pm

Thanks Mike & Zildjian,

What you both say makes good sense.

The Mazda is being done at the moment. They are changing the worn suspension for new handmade springs/leaves which are set at 6T not the normal 4t. Something like that.

The only thing is, I imagine we will get it back on Friday afternoon, so I expect we will travel to your guys on Saturday morning. Better late than never!

I will keep you informed on progress.

When we strip out the Apollo, I would like to instal electric legs or something which is less combesome than the manual wind ups we have at the moment. Which as you know, two are stuck together.

Cheers

zildjian
Site Admin

June 22nd, 2016, 2:40 pm

Sounds like your man is putting some spring in with extra leaves
These compress and form part of the existing leaf spring when there's enough load on truck.
a good non gadgety way to aid suspension, fine.

Yes you can ring Apollo see if they can sell you some powered legs, but you'll need a leisure battery in good condition. And not abandon it over Winter and expect it to just resume working next summer without maintaing it on a trickle charger.

Believe 'Finade & 'Bookend know a little more about the motors on these legs,
Think you'll find them just as cumbersome if not more than manual's to use.

derestrictor

June 22nd, 2016, 3:04 pm

Yes rocket-man couple of extra leaves on very bottom about a third the length of the rest, normally attached but not working as part of the rest of the leaves, until you load the truck then all the leaves work together to keep vehicle at normal ride height

Rocket_man

June 22nd, 2016, 4:29 pm

Hi all,

YET another set back. This is becoming a saga!

Now between us all :-) we have decided to upgrade the Mazda and make it good for taking the Apollo I thought I best insure the Mazda. So I phoned my current insurer ( Autonet Insurance ). Everything was fine until I mentioned the demountable camper. They then had to phone me back and said they cannot insure the Mazda if I put the demountable on the back!

How do you guys insure your vehicles? I am not going to lie and not mention the camper, because if we need to make a claim, the demountable being in the back and not having it mentioned will void the claim.

Help yet again!

saDgit

June 22nd, 2016, 5:04 pm

If you go to the forum Board Index and then look under Chitter Chatter ... you'll find a long thread on insurance. I think you'll find Campton Insurance, who advertise here on the forum, are the most popular choice. They will insure your demountable but only if you also insure your pickup with them. They usually seem to offer the most competitive rates.
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

derestrictor

June 22nd, 2016, 5:34 pm

Yep, big banner at foot of page for Campton,
Any truck or camper anywhere together or apart
Mention here please

Rocket_man

June 22nd, 2016, 5:35 pm

Hi Martin,

Thank you for the advice. I will check out Campton Insurance. Nice to know they are advertising on this site, hopefully helps everyone out.

Cheers

Tim

Alexd

June 22nd, 2016, 9:16 pm

Think if you look at the 'insurance' thread here there's a list of people who use them and they seem to be in the lead at least

Mike

June 23rd, 2016, 8:13 am

Agree camptons are good can just call them and it gets sorted no lengthy on line forms. Well recommended good luck and hopefully see you this weekend Cheers
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

Rocket_man

June 24th, 2016, 9:41 am

Ok Guys,

I have just spoke to my mechanic and he says the parts we need for the Mazda will not be there until Monday.

So I am not sure what to do, as we cannot bring the Apollo down to show you guys. If we came down, we would have to camp, which I am not keen on as last time this played havoc with my sinuses. It is about a 220 mile drive each way.

Not sure what to do now :-(.

Any thoughts