Insurance frustration!

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
thin gravy

Insurance frustration!

March 31st, 2016, 9:29 am

Hi everyone, just joined and finding my way around site, my apologies if I post in the wrong place. I have built a demountable and it is nearing completion (will try to put up some pics ) I am trying to get some insurance, I need to get an engineers report, I have read somewhere that I can download a pdf to take to an mot station and they will do the check. I have rung around some brokers and they are either confused what a demountable is or want to insure as a single axle caravan, because it is not a caravan I can't get a CRiS no. . Anybody any tips , thanks Paul

Mike

Re: Insurance frustration!

March 31st, 2016, 7:38 pm

Hi Paul
Welcome to the group is use Campton as advertised below they at least understand what a demountable is. There is a thread about insurance HERE

looking forward to seeing some pic's
Cheers
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

March 31st, 2016, 7:44 pm

I've added this this thread to our facebook page for a bigger audience on this self build insurance issue

zildjian
Site Admin

March 31st, 2016, 7:47 pm

Paul, if of interest have this facebook group if you prefer social media :D

https://www.facebook.com/groups/demount ... p/?fref=ts

zildjian
Site Admin

March 31st, 2016, 8:33 pm

On the insurance you'll see Campton is popular with our members, (we used them first then they began endorsing site)

in your instance I'd suggest them initially anyway, see what they suggest, the self builders forum used to suggest either Admiral or I think Adrian Flux as they were amenable to DIY projects I'll do some digging meantime see what I can turn up

zildjian
Site Admin

March 31st, 2016, 8:35 pm

thin gravy

March 31st, 2016, 8:56 pm

Any ideas on engineers report pdf download , would be good to see what the criteria is , with being self build I have no numbers to quote. Is it right that in the event of not being able to insure the unit that it is classed as the load because it comes off the vehicle, lots of grey areas . I know i am asking a load of questions that don't apply to most of you,I am nearly finished and want to use it legally. Paul

zildjian
Site Admin

March 31st, 2016, 9:55 pm

Well technically you don't need insurance, sure its better to be covered in case but just like one off the shelf its essentially a box on the back.
try Flux first, they seem geared more to non-standard items.

You might be surprised to learn insurance is typically well down the list of priorities when people buy these,

can't help on the report I'm afraid, you might join the self builders and post that question on there I'd be interested myself actually

greengiant

March 31st, 2016, 11:14 pm

I may be wrong but I believe the engineers report is for a self build vehicle, eg kit cars, I don't think MOT centres have experience of caravans, demountable or otherwise, I nearly got insurance through the caravan and camping club, but finished up insuring both pick-up and demountable with Campton.

keeflester

April 1st, 2016, 8:53 pm

Paul, you don't need to insure your rig to satisfy any legal requirement. If you insured it as a "caravan" with no axles and had a vin number it would ✔ enough boxes to be accepted by Flux or Camptons. Since you built it yourself, and you'll be driving it yourself, you'll need to repair it yourself if you break it. It's quite difficult to steal a Demountable unless you already have one. For my case, when I built mine I didn't take out any extra insurance. If the truck gets stolen with the rig attached then it's part of the load and is insured as such. I had my Northstar insured because I was scared of wrecking it when it cost so much, but that was simple as it had a VIN. If I were to break my current rig, I would just fix it myself. Possibly you would do the same. Kind regards, K33F
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.