Newbie from Kernow

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
Cousin Jack

Newbie from Kernow

February 22nd, 2016, 2:49 pm

Hi everyone,
Just returned from California where I was enlightened into the world of demountables and pickups, and I'm looking to join that world in the UK.
Starting from scratch and busy researching pickups initially, looking to take that step first and then addressing the camper side of things after.
We have reasonable amounts of pickups for sale down here, and not all owned by farmers. Camping pods, however are rare items, so I expect to have to travel to find something suitable, maybe to the continent.
Be prepared for questions, I have read the FAQ's and guidance notes, I just need to see some real world examples and talk to some users.
Usual questions, as it will be my daily vehicle I have concerns over economy, and also insurance implications.

Pete

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Newbie from Kernow

February 22nd, 2016, 7:20 pm

Hi Pete glad you found us anyway.
So if you haven't got a truck yet do you have anything specific in mind, most of them double cab will fit any camper these days though there is a further option popular where you buy a kingcab (2+2) which offers a slightly better weight distribution.

Watch our sales thread for daily campers on sale here and Europe, in UK depending on your budget for both if you're a DIY type you can pick up a cheaper UK made camper in need of some TLC but study our buying guide and please ask questions before buying anything no Question too stupid

We've all been there....

sabconsulting

February 22nd, 2016, 8:09 pm

Welcome and good luck with your camper search.

Take your time and do the research carefully before jumping in to buy a camper.

As in the US the choice here is pop-up campers or hard-side campers.

As Zildjian mentions the truck options are double-cab and "super-cab". The latter have a shorter cab, the rear of which is a bit small for passengers - often with suicide doors instead of regular rear doors - but they give you a longer load bed and mean more of the camper is forward of the rear axle. This is where the weight distribution Zildjian mentioned comes in. There are plenty of campers for double-cab pickups, but there are also campers that should only really be used on supercab pickups with the longer load beds. Get the combination wrong and you will have too much weight behind the rear axle which produces undesirable handling and compromises the chassis strength. If you start looking at campers critically you can tell if they look right or wrong from a weight-distribution perspective - look at the unit and think about where the centre of gravity might be, and then where that sits in relation to the rear axle. Ideally you want it on top of or in front of the rear axle; but you certainly don't want it very far behind the rear axle.

So if you find campers that have the space you want all appear to be way behind the rear axle, and you don't want to compromise on a shorter camper, you might need to consider a supercab truck and compromise on rear passenger space.

Hence I mention this now, because it will have an affect on the truck you buy (plus supercabs are rarer than double-cabs and more likely to have been used commercially, not just as family SUVs).

With campers another consideration is their construction. Timber framed campers are susceptible to leaks, which let water in resulting in substantial rot. So consider the construction method in relation to your DIY skills. Usually any damp that is evident in a camper is the tip of the iceberg.

Steve.

Alexd

February 22nd, 2016, 8:23 pm

Hello and welcome Pete, there is an insurance thread as well AND a lot of the members are meeting in Devon at end of June I think there is a thread about that as well

great chance to spend a day looking over all the combinations

Mike

February 22nd, 2016, 8:43 pm

Hello and welcome from Somerset if your ever passing by on A 303 then happy to host a view and a brew
Cheers
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

February 22nd, 2016, 9:05 pm

Have you checked out Last years summer meet in Matlock?

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

there is indeed a meet weekend in Devon June 24 weekend

derestrictor

February 22nd, 2016, 9:12 pm

Hello Pete good luck on your search, lots of friendly advice hard earned here so just go ahead with the questions

TrueDink

February 22nd, 2016, 10:24 pm

Hello and Welcome. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Nissan NP300 Navara Tekna double cab
S.Karosser EC6L-2.0

rubberrat

February 23rd, 2016, 9:57 am

Hi Pete and welcome.

Our annual get together in on your doorstep this year so hope you come across to see us all.

http://www.demountablecampergroup.com/v ... f=19&t=573

Lots of your considerations have been addressed, so I'll move onto costs. I find that most pickups may have poorer fuel consumption than cars, but if you choose your truck well, running and maintenance costs are lower.
Lots of aftermarket parts suppliers who are cheaper than main dealers. Most small local garages can work on these things so you are not stuck with extortionate main dealer prices.

My example? Clutch - 3 - part supplied and fitted £250. Try that on an Audi A3 etc
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200