Another Caddy Tischer

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
euanmb

Another Caddy Tischer

October 15th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick introduction. I've wanted a mk1 Caddy for around 15 years but also had a bit of a thing for 80s and early 90s Honda's which always got in the way of buying one. At the same time I've always liked the idea of the Tischer demountable.

Having missed out on a few Caddy's and Tischer's over the past few years, I saw one for sale locally and first went to look at it about 18 months ago. Owned by Jim, a retired engineer, it had been well used over his 15 year ownership but we'll looked after. He was upgrading to a larger motor home as the Tischer's bed was getting too difficult to get in to. Unfortunately houses, cars and other projects got in the way and it wasn't the right time.

Earlier this year my most recent Honda failed an MOT on a couple of points and having added up the repairs and what it would cost to get it to where I wanted, I decided it didn't make sense financially. So... decided to break the Honda, take the leap and buy a Caddy.

Having found a good caddy, I got back in contact with Jim and luckily he still had his Caddy and Tischer and he agreed to sell the Tischer separately.

So living in a terrace house, the Caddy is my only car. It performs a 90miles commute everyday. We're at the tail end of renovating two house so does the regular tip-run and materials pickup. Is used at weekends for throwing the mountain bike in the back. And eventually for weekends away in the Tischer.

It is currently lowered so will sit on bumpstops if laden with the demountable. I have it booked in for a rear axle conversion and air ride next month. So hopefully will get to enjoy a few weekends away before the year is out.

... that was meant to be a quick introduction!

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Another Caddy Tischer

October 15th, 2015, 10:06 pm

Thats the smartest ride yet (all it needs is a sticker)modestly priced :D

Welcome and good first post

Zildjian

saDgit

October 16th, 2015, 8:15 am

Very nice! Welcome.
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

zildjian
Site Admin

October 16th, 2015, 9:48 am

What have you in mind on the air ride, I'd be interested to see that

TrueDink

October 16th, 2015, 10:55 am

Hello and Welcome.

Your going to have a great looking rig when your done.
Nissan NP300 Navara Tekna double cab
S.Karosser EC6L-2.0

euanmb

October 16th, 2015, 5:36 pm

Thanks for the welcomes.

The caddy is going up to Jon JH Pro in Sheffield (renowned for his r32 powered mk1 golf), to have a full rear beam conversion. He's done a few caddy 's now, and it'll be a custom dead/fixed beam conversion, not the best suspension design in the world, but his work is very good and from what I've heard people are happy with the conversion. I would have liked to go the 4 link route but it was coming in at twice the cost. It'll be running manual management with 4 paddle control, but I'll just run the rears till I can afford the front shocks.

Camper wise, I really like the coolflo bay window:

Stripped metal with airbrushing and body coloured accents. But if that turns out to be too extreme maybe a mid to gun metal grey.
And even though the interior has been well kept, I'm keen to get customising, either 70s chic or key together the caddy and ticsher interiors with tan leather and chrome details.

If it's anything like my houses it'll be a long project, but hopefully it's a keeper so I can go all out.

zildjian
Site Admin

October 16th, 2015, 5:42 pm

Looking forward to seeing how this comes out, maybe we'll meet up next year if convenient, we are planning a couple of informal groups both North & South after all,
if you let me know your nearest town i'll stick a pin in the members map, cheers

Zildjian

euanmb

October 16th, 2015, 7:48 pm

I'm based in Melbourne, South Derbyshire.

A group meet sounds like a good plan. Can't wait to get out in it, and neither can my partner, which is a good thing as the tischer is the only reason she let me have a caddy! Will try and get as many trips out as I can before it gets too cold.

Just need to sort out the electric hook up and some shackles for the turn buckles.

zildjian
Site Admin

October 16th, 2015, 8:25 pm

I guess you didn't come and see us in Matlock in June then thats not so far from you either