Hello - Apollo Demountable and Navara

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
KJHXXX

Hello - Apollo Demountable and Navara

June 24th, 2015, 6:00 pm

Hi all,

Thought I'd say hello from Cornwall. We are enjoying our 2006 Navara / Apollo combination and have had a few trips out mainly within Cornwall, Dartmoor and North Devon.

The Apollo is a great bit of kit, but I have a question if anyone would be kind enough to answer? What is the recommended tie-down method at the rear of the pick-up bed? Is it turn-buckles? I have loops in the pick up bed and on the demountable and can't really get a strap in there. Can anyone recommend some turnbuckles to buy that are man enough? I use ratchet straps on the front to the leg mounts.

How does the Nissan / Apollo combination score in terms of weight? Are they typically heavy?

Cheers all. Kris.

Peaky

Re: Hello - Apollo Demountable and Navara

June 24th, 2015, 6:34 pm

Hi & welcome to the forum kris,

You'll find a wealth of information on here regarding weights & tie down methods etc etc. In the members rigs gallery section, you'll find 'Who owns what list'. Here you'll find which members have a rig setup similar to yours. These folks are the best to answer any specific questions. Do you have any pictures of your rig please ?

Andy (Peaky)
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

Bookend

June 24th, 2015, 6:55 pm

We have an Apollo on a Hilux we use ratchet straps down to the tow bar and that seems to work ok.

keeflester

June 24th, 2015, 7:14 pm

Hi kris, welcome to the group. Any chance that we will see you at the social this weekend? Everyone is welcome, even if you don't bring your rig.
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.

zildjian
Site Admin

June 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Welcome Kris, yes you'll find all you need here.
On the rear fixings you can indeed use cargo straps if you have room to do so, I can't on mine and am obliged to use turnbuckles i'd prefer straps.

If you have a picture or two available and can add them please do, if not mail them to me and i'll happily add them here no bother at all.

Slowdown.Zildjian@gmail.com

Zildjian

TrueDink

June 25th, 2015, 10:27 am

Hello and Welcome.
Nissan NP300 Navara Tekna double cab
S.Karosser EC6L-2.0

FinAde

June 25th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Hello and welcome from Somerset. We have an Apollo too, on a VW Amarok and use straps on front and rear. Taking the tailgate off makes it easier to attach to the rear chassis crossmember (which is quite substantial on our truck as this is where the tow-hitch mounts).
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

KJHXXX

July 6th, 2015, 12:45 pm

Hi Thanks all for the advice!

Had a good weekend away this weekend that shed light on a couple of other issues with the Apollo. When moving around, there is a brown / black liquid leaking out from some areas, like the fridge vents and the front leg mount checker plate. Have a got a leak somewhere? The inside is perfectly dry! Very strange. Any suggestions?

And - where is the factory location for the leisure battery? The previous owner has installed it in a box under the table on the bulkhead under the window by the rear window of the truck. The wiring / fuse box is atrocious and so need to tidy it up!

Finally, rear door doesn't fit too well. Looks like door is a little twisted and doesn't seal great at the top. Any suggestions? New door or can they be bent to shape?

Cheers!

FinAde

July 6th, 2015, 1:18 pm

Not sure about the front leg mount area but we had leaky pipes and drain around the sink, some of which are accessible by taking off the fridge vents.

Our battery sits under the hob next to the water heater - but it depends which layout you have, ours is double-cab with the kitchen area next to the back door. We're still trying to figure out the 12v wiring which had been 'played with'. Just managed to get the connection from truck to camper working and now the fridge won't work off 12v so we must have disconnected something in the process.

Our door doesn't fit very well either, I think we're opting for a new (or second-hand) replacement at some point.
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

zildjian
Site Admin

July 6th, 2015, 1:34 pm

by liquid could you take a picture or describe it, in hot weather for example some old sealants will sag and even drip, leaks on Apollo are not uncommon and should be addressed sure,
on the door you might try the same fix a fridge 'repair' man carries out and try flexing it back the other way, failing that it might be time for a new one if its frame on the camper is good still.