Hello! First time demountable owner. Tischer caddy

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
wayne

Hello! First time demountable owner. Tischer caddy

May 24th, 2015, 9:23 am

Hello! My names Wayne, I live in Bournemouth and on Friday I purchased a tischer caddycaemp from a chap in Coventry. It was listed on eBay and I had to act fairly quickly wether to buy it or let it go. The description of it was very vague, the owner had bought it about a couple of weeks previous and gave me the impression he was a trader of some sort. Anyway, I'm a VW enthusiast who's owned just about every variation off the mk1 golf platform and the tischer was always a mystery and hoped one day I'd own one. The tischer is now in my workshop and after some initial disappointment in the outer wooden panels under the aluminium, I took a reality check and would like to get it back to its former glory. Interior wise it's been very well looked after, everything inside is in superb condition for a 26+ year old camper. I would however appreciate any assistance with materials used in this type of unit as it seems to be made of sheets of ply sandwiching foam? I've built 4 VW t5 camper vans previously which used vohringher lightweight ply. I guess this is prior to such material being available though. Anyway, I look forward to making new friends and hopefully meeting an other tischer owners of your out there.

Wayne

Peaky

Re: Hello! First time demountable owner. Tischer caddy

May 24th, 2015, 9:50 am

Welcome to the forum Wayne, It sounds like you certainly have got yourself a bit of a project :) There are a couple of guys on here who are doing the restoration projects. So there'll be plenty of helpful advise from them ;)
Please keep us updated with plenty of pics & perhaps a diary of your task ahead.
Do you have a Caddy for it to go on to :?:

Andy
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

zildjian
Site Admin

May 24th, 2015, 10:33 am

Hi Wayne, welcome to group,
We saw this one on Sales thread and I sent a link here to the seller in the hope he might pass it on with sale to buyer I'm guessing thats how you found us.

Top of my head we have three members with these Tishcers' plus the importer during the 90's (GaryW)
Parts are available from Tischer still proving there's a market for spares even after all this time,
Many VW nuts have re-united these campers on the Caddy's they were offered with back then, or place them on a T25 flatbed also a good option, despite their problems with rot the design and construction has meant many have survived,

Our member 'Haggis100' in Halifax has one he's been renovating over Winter I think to go on a Jap pickup I'll find his details shortly

Zildjian

zildjian
Site Admin

May 24th, 2015, 10:37 am

old tischer thread
working inside

Looks in better condition than Matt's was I think

TrueDink

May 24th, 2015, 1:13 pm

Hello and Welcome.
Nissan NP300 Navara Tekna double cab
S.Karosser EC6L-2.0

derestrictor

May 24th, 2015, 8:01 pm

hello Wayne, yours makes three Tischers like that here, doesn't look too bad in that picture (if that is yours)

is there much wet damage you have found?

wayne

May 25th, 2015, 10:03 am

well thanks for the friendly welcome and links.. this is what i was hoping for, some inspiration! i do have a caddy, a particularly good example too. This will be my first demountable project but one i'm looking forward too. previously I've completed 3 vw t5 conversions and also recently a 4 year restoration on a mk1 golf gti

the most recent t5

and now for the caddy/tischer combo..

don't worry about the rear height of the caddy its next on the to do list. the caddy was originally lowered when i got it last year, i had to fit the top to move it about in the workshop.

the main problems are the water ingress that has occurred from the break in the roof sealant on the O/S/R and then the O/S/F jack point has began to break away. my plan is to find as much info about the design an construction of this unit and then attack the offending areas. the rear floor to the rear panel are also a bit spongy as they meet. Its great to hear that spares are available too!

not quite sure why the pics are slightly cropped on the right side?

wayne

May 25th, 2015, 10:28 am

zildjian wrote:old tischer thread
working inside

Looks in better condition than Matt's was I think
this is the one i have?? it looks like it? where was this picture found.. i bought the top of a middle man, he had no idea really what he had

zildjian
Site Admin

May 25th, 2015, 12:33 pm

I lifted it of the original advert, that'll clean up and given your attention to detail I'd really like to see it finished too!

Love that Golf BTW I had one but clearly not like yours :D :D