Hi All

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
Add6598

Hi All

May 2nd, 2015, 9:24 pm

Hi everyone, thanks to admin for a really quick approval :-)

I currently have a t4 that I've been slowly converting to a campervan, but I stumbled across pick up demountables the other day having not really seen them before and I've been a bit obsessed ever since!

I've got a fair amount of homework to do, as ( with the exception of price ) they seem a bit too good to be true, I'm reluctant to fire away with loads of questions... I know how annoying it must be for members when newbies turn up asking the same thing, so I'll carry on trying to get up to speed.

One thing that would help that people might not mind me asking is manufacture recommendations?

I can see that plenty of people make these, but the only brands that I've really come across are Apollo and Northstar, so if there are others I should be looking at it would be great to hear from you.

Cheers
Add

keeflester

Re: Hi All

May 2nd, 2015, 9:28 pm

Cheers Add, welcome to the group. We're a friendly bunch and don't mind answering noob questions. So ask away and good luck. K33F
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.

zildjian
Site Admin

May 2nd, 2015, 9:32 pm

Where are you based Addi, we have members scattered about, if you like you we could maybe arrange a little visit and you could look one over.

as far as manufacturer's go you're right, apollo and ranger
take a look at our sales thread for used campers or if you need new you could try member '{censored promotion}' who will import you a Tischer from Germany or Gary W in Dorset who has a few new options on the UK market,
failing that Niche marketing in Lincolnshire usually have a handful of Northstar in their yard (both hard-side and pop top

all depends on budget & what your needs are

Zildjian

Peaky

May 2nd, 2015, 9:44 pm

Welcome to the forum Add, I'm based in Lancashire if your anywhere close for a look over our Swedish built Skarosser on a Navara D40 Rig. They're good for down to -30c with their super wet central heating system ;)
Or you could come along to our 1st Social gathering in June to view at least 15 various makes & shapes in Derbyshire :geek:

Any questions, then please don't hesitate to fire away :)

Andy
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

Add6598

May 2nd, 2015, 10:02 pm

Wow, thanks guys.

I'm based in Matlock Derbyshire.

Not sure about budget yet Zildjian to be honest, I guess I need to figure out what's what, but I'll undoubtedly be looking at second hand. Judging from the few that are on EBay I could pick one up sooner rather than later if I sold my van, but I'd be looking to upgrade ideally on what I've got now... So I imagine I'll need to do some saving.

Question wise;

Does anyone sell bare units for a home build?

I realise there are different models, but internally how roomy are they? I appreciate that's subjective, but I would say that t4's are very limited... Even if they look practical in pictures.

How quick and easy is dismounting/ remounting? Strikes me there's probably a bit of a 'knack' to it, but is it simple once you've got the hang of it or a bit of a faff?

I initially thought a double cab pickup might limit my options, but I've since seen it shouldn't matter too much, is that right?

Any other general "I wish I'd known that when I was looking" gratefully received.
Thanks again
Add

Add6598

May 2nd, 2015, 10:03 pm

cheers Andy!
You posted while I was typing, I'd better not miss that if its in Derbyshire!

Must be fate :P

Peaky

May 2nd, 2015, 10:18 pm

Add6598 wrote:cheers Andy!
You posted while I was typing, I'd better not miss that if its in Derbyshire!
Must be fate :P

Just click on the link below for details of our 1st Social ;)

1st EVER 2015 Social
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

Add6598

May 2nd, 2015, 10:28 pm

It's in Matlock! Couldn't be more perfect if I'd planned it 8-)

Sounds like it will be a perfect opportunity to figure out what's what, then I can either make peace with my van ( which now feels very inadequate ) or start planning and saving.

Cheers fellas for the replies so far, I appreciate it
Bests
Add

rubberrat

May 3rd, 2015, 9:47 am

Hi and a warm welcome!
How flukey is it for you that the biggest fathering of demountables ever is happening in your backyard.

Look forward to seeing you there where you'll get a chance to look at pretty much everything on offer in one place without ayone in a suit trying to sell you something.

Have a look through our for sale section, not too far back is a VW t4 demountable di you could still fly the vw flag.

Do feel free to ask all questions, no one will deride you here, most if us were at the 'whats it all about' stage not so long ago.
These things are rare and unique.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

keeflester

May 3rd, 2015, 9:49 am

Just loving the typo
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.