Hello everyone!

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
earthman

Hello everyone!

April 22nd, 2015, 2:32 pm

Just joined here, looking for advice on getting an Hilux and demountable unit in the future, always been into camping, currently have a small panel van conversion. :)

TrueDink

Re: Hello everyone!

April 22nd, 2015, 2:47 pm

Hello and Welcome.

Feel free to fire your questions at us. We will try our best to answer them.
Nissan NP300 Navara Tekna double cab
S.Karosser EC6L-2.0

zildjian
Site Admin

April 22nd, 2015, 2:51 pm

Afternoon Earthman, a hilux as base vehicle would be a great start which model our of interest were you thinking of ?

earthman

April 22nd, 2015, 3:22 pm

Hi guys, I don't know which model would be the best one for us to get, my first thought is one with the longest flat bed because a) only two of us would ever be travelling in it and b) it would be handy to have the max length of bed for a working vehicle, being able to transport a fridge freezer etc when need be.

Having said that, can this version take the most weight on the back, in terms of the demountable unit or is the 4 door version more suitable for the largest unit?

Ideally we would like to get the largest demountable unit there is, one that would have a sofa/bench seat long enough to use has a bed has well has the fixed bed that's above the cab. Is there one where this is possible?

We've had a look on-line at the likes of the units made by Northstar, we are familiar with the toilet cubicle and other mod cons etc, we are use to all that in our panel van,....without going to see these in the flesh, you never really know how the living and sleeping spaces would work out.

saDgit

April 22nd, 2015, 4:16 pm

Hi earthman,
Yeah, if you're sure you don't need the extra cab space go for a single cab every time - longer cargo bed, better weight distribution and largest payload. The only downside is that super- and double-cabs do offer additional, secure storage in the cab and storage is always an issue with a demountable. Good luck with your search.
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

Mike

April 22nd, 2015, 6:48 pm

Hello and welcome from me as well, , regarding specs I found this site recentlyhttp://www.helpfindmea.co.uk/vans/specs/
You can select from a number of drop downs the type of truck and its variants and then see all the relevant specs, bed size weights etc.there is a lot of information on this site re weight as we are all looking at max gross vehicle weight, carying capacity weight over the rear axle etc, needs some thinking about.
Good hunting
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

kitch 191

April 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm

Welcome to the site I have a hilux extra cab on a 07 plate with an adventure camper. The pick up bed is 1.8 mm long & the camper has a 1830mm pull out bed as you walk in on the right & a double bed on the luton. The bed of the camper is 2.5mm. I am In the throws of doing it up a the moment as it was in a bit of a state when I got it there are pics on here of it so you can get what you are looking for just finding one.

My thread

earthman wrote:Hi guys, I don't know which model would be the best one for us to get, my first thought is one with the longest flat bed because a) only two of us would ever be travelling in it and b) it would be handy to have the max length of bed for a working vehicle, being able to transport a fridge freezer etc when need be.

Having said that, can this version take the most weight on the back, in terms of the demountable unit or is the 4 door version more suitable for the largest unit?

Ideally we would like to get the largest demountable unit there is, one that would have a sofa/bench seat long enough to use has a bed has well has the fixed bed that's above the cab. Is there one where this is possible?

We've had a look on-line at the likes of the units made by Northstar, we are familiar with the toilet cubicle and other mod cons etc, we are use to all that in our panel van,....without going to see these in the flesh, you never really know how the living and sleeping spaces would work out.

earthman

April 23rd, 2015, 2:32 pm

saDgit wrote:Hi earthman,
Yeah, if you're sure you don't need the extra cab space go for a single cab every time - longer cargo bed, better weight distribution and largest payload. The only downside is that super- and double-cabs do offer additional, secure storage in the cab and storage is always an issue with a demountable. Good luck with your search.
Thanks, thinking of storage space, I did wonder about those 'lids' that can be fitted over the top of the cargo bed, I'm wondering if that could be a realistic option when the camper unit isn't on the back, how easy/hard are they to remove/refit?

earthman

April 23rd, 2015, 2:33 pm

Mike wrote:Hello and welcome from me as well, , regarding specs I found this site recentlyhttp://www.helpfindmea.co.uk/vans/specs/
You can select from a number of drop downs the type of truck and its variants and then see all the relevant specs, bed size weights etc.there is a lot of information on this site re weight as we are all looking at max gross vehicle weight, carying capacity weight over the rear axle etc, needs some thinking about.
Good hunting
Thanks for the link but it's not opening up for me at the mo. :(

earthman

April 23rd, 2015, 2:34 pm

kitch 191 wrote:Welcome to the site I have a hilux extra cab on a 07 plate with an adventure camper. The pick up bed is 1.8 mm long & the camper has a 1830mm pull out bed as you walk in on the right & a double bed on the luton. The bed of the camper is 2.5mm. I am In the throws of doing it up a the moment as it was in a bit of a state when I got it there are pics on here of it so you can get what you are looking for just finding one.

My thread

earthman wrote:Hi guys, I don't know which model would be the best one for us to get, my first thought is one with the longest flat bed because a) only two of us would ever be travelling in it and b) it would be handy to have the max length of bed for a working vehicle, being able to transport a fridge freezer etc when need be.

Many thanks, I sure will be having a closer look at your thread another time,....better get back to work now. :)