Old Tischers

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
Gary W

Old Tischers

March 19th, 2015, 8:23 pm

Hi folks

Just discovered this forum, interesting bunch of people. I'm in the expedition/adventure camper industry so it's always nice to see what people are up to, but I'm not here to plug my business. I see several members have old Tischers and that brought back some fond memories as I was the original Tischer importer back in the 80s. Back then we managed to get them into the VW dealer network so we sold a lot of them, especially on the Caddy. Did some memorable T3 ones too including a couple of 2.1 Syncros with full caravelle spec cabs. Very nice. Sadly it all came to an end when the exchange pushed the prices through the roof but it started the whole thing off and it's nice to see so many still about. For a while they became almost mainstream and several other manufacturers jumped in too. Suntrekker had been building old fashioned coachbuilt vans for years (nice but heavy) and then came out with a radical GRP unit. It was affordable, light and robust, but a bit too modern inside for most tastes. Tandy launched the Pony which was a great little unit, then when we finally gave up fighting the exchange rate they had a little go with Tischer too (but not for long). Anyway enough memories, the reason for the post and my ramblings is that I still have some original Tischer brochures and magazine road test prints from back then so if you have one of these old beauties and would like an original sales brochure to go with it just let me know. I'd be delighted to pop one in the post for you.

Best wishes

Gary

SBS Adventure Campers

Mobile: +44 (0) 7595 368 422
Desk: +44 (0) 1305 305 900

Web: sbsadventurecampers.com
Web: djangocampers.eu

rubberrat

Re: Old Tischers

March 19th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Hi Gary and Welcome!

Interesting guy! and the current Tischer importer is on here too.

We tend to not mind members plugging their businesses if they are relevant to our group, you may as well target your audience directly, and as we are the only demountable forum in the UK, it doesn't get more targeted than that.

Hope you enjoy the forum and can find a little time to put your experience to use for our members, many of whom are new to the growing world of demountables and are here for advice and info.

Look forward to hearing from you on these pages

mark
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

March 19th, 2015, 8:55 pm

Good evening Garry, may I have a brochure please?
Interesting to hear about the Caddy/Tischer combo's I very nearly bought one myself initially, I still find them and offer them on our for sale thread and Tischer enthusiasts must find it a comfort that these are still largely in one piece and useable,
We have at least a couple of them owned by members,
'Haggis100' in Halifax is currently restoring one for use and recently sent off for spares which I found remarkable, anyway
I'll PM my details and thank you I'll swap you for a club sticker if I can have your postal address

Zildjian

zildjian
Site Admin

March 20th, 2015, 4:32 pm

Actually thinking now Gary,
Was there a model number for those pop-up campers?

Haggis100

April 26th, 2015, 9:37 pm

Hi Gary,
I'd love a brochure for my Tischer if you have one. What details do you need?
Cheers
Matt

Gary W

April 26th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Haggis100 wrote:Hi Gary,
I'd love a brochure for my Tischer if you have one. What details do you need?
Cheers
Matt
What model do you have Matt? I have most models from the 1980s, they are 'archived' though so I'll have to dig them out. I've had a couple of requests so will get on it next time I get a chance.

Gary

SBS Adventure Campers

derestrictor

April 29th, 2015, 8:01 pm

they keep coming on ebay still, ho many origiannlly imported?

Gary W

May 1st, 2015, 9:15 pm

derestrictor wrote:they keep coming on ebay still, ho many origiannlly imported?
I don't remember how many we imported, quite a few. This was helped by the popularity of the super little Caddy of the time and by selling them through the VW dealer network alongside Westfalia T3s etc.
Tischer were nicely made from the beginning and the exchange rate at the time made them ridiculously good value for money (I seem to remember in the beginning a Caddycaemp 3 on new Caddy diesel was around £8,700 when a basic T3 camper was around £11,000). Several of the big mainstream motor caravan dealers stocked them too and did quite well with them. We used to collect them with a special 6 wheel trailer behind a VW T3 1.9 petrol pickup and could collect a T3 and 2 Caddy (or 3 Caddy) bodies per load. That was an extraordinary vehicle, clocking up around 300,000 really hard (it was in 3rd gear on any sort of incline!) miles in 3 years with no mechanical issues save an oil pressure switch springing a leak one time. It was still running fine years later when we eventually sold it.
The volatile exchange rate eventually killed the whole thing off. Tandy did try to bring a few in later and sell them direct to help the pricing, but even then they would have been very very expensive and I don't think they managed to sell very many.

SBS Adventure Campers