Newbie.

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
Buster

Newbie.

December 25th, 2014, 11:43 pm

Evening all and Merry Christmas. Looking to buy my first demountable for my 08 Hi lux. Never had one before although I've done the motorhome, caravan thang. The wife and kids are not interested any more but my wanderlust just gets worse as the years progress. I need to know if a demountable is the way forward for me before I go ahead and spend a bucket load of money on something thats gonna sit in the drive. I'd love to buy used if any about just for a taster or failing that some good honest input on the highs and lows of ownership. I would truly value any advice people may have and look forward to reading any replies.
Your very good health

Buster.

Peaky

Re: Newbie.

December 25th, 2014, 11:51 pm

Welcome to the Forum Buster & a Very Merry Christmas to you :)
As you start to read through the various threads, you'll find a wealth of information on here. If you need any further information, then please do not hesitate to ask away & we'll do our best to help you.
Quick question, Where are you based ? As we have members pretty much nation wide, so a viewing & chitchat over a coffee is more than likely possible ;)
I'm in Bolton, Lancs. if your anywhere near me ?
And I'll give you guided tour of my rig :)

Andy
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

zildjian
Site Admin

December 25th, 2014, 11:52 pm

So good evening Buster and welcome,
what we can offer is you can go and visit your nearest owner for a look around their outfit, a cuppa and questions :D
see who comes along this week to say hello and arrange a visit in new year,
mines an 08 hilux too, great trucks

Buster

December 26th, 2014, 12:05 am

Bugger me! Didnt expect replies as quick, considering it's the 25th and all. I'm in Warrington, Cheshire, so pretty handy for a visit really eh. Looking forward to some no nonsense advice. On me 4th Hilux to date. Cant fault them. All mine have been bought from new starting with a T reg. They've dragged me fishing gear all around UK and France without so much as a hickup. I love em.

Peaky

December 26th, 2014, 12:10 am

With you being so close to me, then your more than welcome to come & have a gander at mine, I'll be hooking it up to my Navara this Saturday morning if you fancy a ride over ?
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

zildjian
Site Admin

December 26th, 2014, 10:22 am

Well that would be an ideal opportunity to see how easy it all is to use of course,
Rubberrat had plans to make a little video, that'll be in warmer weather I expect now,

martinjdover

December 26th, 2014, 9:45 pm

Hi Buster

My wife and I went through the buy-a-cheap-one-and see-if-it-suits process five and a half years ago and bought an Apollo for the pricely sum of £3500 (sold two years later for £4500!). We did trips to Scotland, Wales and France with this rig on an L200 doublecab.

The demountable experience lived up to our hopes so we ordered a new unit specially for a Land Rover 130 doublecab which we took delivery of in 2011 and in which we have now visited 15 different countries and counting! It is much easier to find a demountable to fit a Hilux as it conforms to the "standard" bed length and cab height - unlike the Defender!

Hope you manage to find a trial unit - they can be a bit like hens teeth and we had to travel from the south coast to Scotland to nab ours!

Best wishes

Martin and Jan

Mike

December 27th, 2014, 11:39 am

Hi Buster welcome from me as well,
we had motorhome as well then went the demountable route never regretted it
even when I was ripping the back off (see my thread) 'oh no what has happened'
worth checking out viewtopic.php?t=103

Finade as well as we have had some rebuild work, between the two of us may give you some pointers as to what to look out for.
Any questions happy to help if I can, cheers
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

derestrictor

December 27th, 2014, 1:47 pm

Hello buster & welcome
they often have used demountables for sale on the thread
"as we browse the net"
prices from around £3000 upwards often. new ones from either Apollo in Lancashire I think or Niche Marketing in Lincolnshire
(they sell the Northstar make)

zildjian
Site Admin

December 27th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Quite so,
we maintain a 'digest' of both UK and French German sales sites,
there aren't really any makes to be avoided, depends on how handyman you are what you are prepared to repair on an affordable unit!

There's nobody qualified you can take along to inspect a camper, there is a caravan service but I'm not sure how applicable they might be,
the only recurring issue springs to mind is damp on Apollo's
so buy a damp meter, they aren't expensive and readily available. :D

I'm sure we one of us can view with you if you have one in mind, if its not the end of the country I'll come along myself