Members Campers

Welcome, how can we help ?
please add your town/camper/vehicle to profile please Ta
FinAde

Re: Members Campers

December 12th, 2014, 11:35 pm

Hogmanay - I have always wanted to do that. Heater is brilliant. Thinking of camping wild for Christmas and New Year next year to get away from it all ;)
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

Peaky

December 12th, 2014, 11:37 pm

We're leaving 2 teenage lads for a week at New Year for the 1st time.
Expecting a total disaster when we get back :cry:
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

FinAde

December 12th, 2014, 11:48 pm

Been there done that (not at New Year), came home to all (and I mean all) of our crockery on the drainer ! All done the morning just before we got home, and no teenagers in site ;)
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

zildjian
Site Admin

December 13th, 2014, 8:46 am

The usual parental fears always in the background
Fire/explosion/ad-hoc parties/unlocked doors

All, or some of which won't occur!

Sorry peaky, I'm actually NOT helping much.
Relax it'll be fine...... :D

(Maybe)

nicks130

January 26th, 2015, 5:51 pm

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/ ... 490093.jpg[/IMG][/URL

this is my demountable. had it about a year and not been brave enough to take it out as the body roll is a bit high. looked at air springs but they say they wont help much as I already have the double spring set up in the back. it doesn't help that the camper is designed for a jap pickup so I have to sit it on pallets to get it over the cab.

Peaky

January 26th, 2015, 5:55 pm

Hi Nick & welcome to the forum.
Just a thought, but why don't you have a chat with the guys at Niche Marketing, where your rig came from?
I'm sure they'd be able to help you out in some way ;)

Andy
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

zildjian
Site Admin

January 26th, 2015, 6:38 pm

Yep Niche might be ab le to help with that,
Air springs certainly work in nearly all cases as they often hooked up individually left and right so the air isn't forced from one to the other on cornering

zildjian
Site Admin

January 26th, 2015, 7:24 pm

TBH it doesn't 'look' that unusually high really,
I had a navara which was perched higher than that above cab as I made a sub-frame to pitch it forward as it looked wrong loaded onto the tub directly.

Rubberrat here mentions the gap between cab roof and camper is pronounced,
your quite right that a lot of them are designed for Japanese models but there are many on LR products so your in good company

derestrictor

January 26th, 2015, 7:59 pm

nicks130 wrote:

this is my demountable. had it about a year and not been brave enough to take it out as the body roll is a bit high. looked at air springs but they say they wont help much as I already have the double spring set up in the back. it doesn't help that the camper is designed for a jap pickup so I have to sit it on pallets to get it over the cab.
Hi Nick and welcome, that looks a good outfit had the LR long?

there is at least one other chap on here with one too, and there's the facebook page too I've seen him on,

martinjdover

January 26th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Nick

Welcome to the group.

I too have a Defender 130 with a Northstar demountable which, not only do I use as a camper, but also as a adventure vehicle off-road. Although I now have a made-to-measure demountable fitted to the 130 I have also used a modified 1 tonne unit sitting on a 8" x 2" wooden frame.
The reason Defenders are so good off-road is the long travel coil suspension which, obviously, allow the wheels to follow the terrain and therefore not loose traction. Unfortunately this characteristic does cause a problem when you raise the vehicle's centre of gravity by loading a roofrack or loading up a demountable!
Although it can feel a bit tippy it is in reality quite safe but the suspension can be easily improved to significantly reduce the lean. The existing inner springs can indeed be replaced with airbags and, although this can aid levelling it up, this will not reduce the lean. I have tried air springs but, to reduce complications, have now replaced my twin springs with single Britpart 420lb springs with a 40mm lift - these have a similar spring rate to the twin spring set up but the car now rides level rather than tail down. The big change, however, has been to replace the existing anti-roll bar with an X-Eng Deflex rear anti-roll bar which you can lock up to reduce body lean to next to nothing. With the demountable unloaded you can unlock the anti-roll bar to give the customary brilliant suspension articulation.

The Deflex is a bit expensive but I can now drive round roundabouts and bendy roads with total confidence.

Hope this helps. See my other posts to see what I get up to with mine!

Martin